• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with all.

I was also smartalecked by Hugo Boss before I discovered SF , then I watched those beautiful neapolitan shirt collars and suits . I got one silk/ cotton suits from boss that is not bad, but too flashy or pimpy.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I just picked up a few BOSS suits for $600 a pop (30% off sale). I'm pretty happy with paying that, especially because I really like the cuts and the fact I didn't have to search very hard for a better deal.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I just picked up a few BOSS suits for $600 a pop (30% off sale). I'm pretty happy with paying that, especially because I really like the cuts and the fact I didn't have to search very hard for a better deal.

Hugo Boss are ok if you need some mid-range suits or if you just start your sartorial journey...

As long as you do not pay the full price tag , they're not as bad as some of us are making it...

Icehawk

Reaction score
My issue with HB is I bought two pairs of pants, ~$200 retail each, and both ripped at the crotch in under a year of use. When I asked HB about the ruined pants their response was a shrug. That and their suits don't fit me at all...

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own many HB items and I like every single one. Maybe because I have none of their suits? The only problem I had was with the soft cotton jeans I bought off ebay. The stitching on the rear pocket became loose. I took it to the Beverly Center, and they fixed it for me. They also hemmed the pants. All for free. I'm happy how they handled it and I will shop there again.

I find the Hugo Boss slim fit to be the best cut for my body type. If you can get their stuff at a discount it's totally worth it.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
I don't understand???

Neither do I.....The truth is, there's nothing wrong with Hugo Boss. People have different needs and opinions. If you find a nice Boss for a great price, then go for it.

dv_indian

Reaction score
A few months ago I used to see Hugo boss mentioned often on SF as a choice for slim fit suit for newbie buyers - of course at half off during a sale.
Now HB seems to be on the **** list. Has it joined Jos A Bank on the infamous list?

PS: My only experience with Hugo is an EDT I bought a few years ago - Hugo dark blue or something like that. It had a nasty synthetic smell.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
A few months ago I used to see Hugo boss mentioned often on SF as a choice for slim fit suit for newbie buyers - of course at half off during a sale.
Now HB seems to be on the **** list. Has it joined Jos A Bank on the infamous list?

I don't know if they've joined Jos A Bank on the list, mainly because I almost never see Hugo Boss clothing at deep discounts. the only time I see Hugo Boss stuff discounted is at Nordstrom Rack. I do think they're vastly overpriced and I would never spend $95 for a shirt or a tie from them, however, Nordstrom Rack has good enough deals and if you're buying your first suit I see nothing wrong with buying HB.

Made in California

Reaction score
You guys should read through the "pre-SF regrettable purchases" thread or whatever it's called. It's like half Hugo Boss stuff, bought at full retail of course. So a lot of people have a sore spot. And their grandmas are Jewish.

rvan

Reaction score
The only Hugo Boss pieces I've bought are shirts and ties at thrift stores, I never feel remorse paying $10 for one of their shirts.

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
But every joke contains a kernel of truth. That's what makes a joke funny.

That's why people get offended by racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc. It's because the joke contains some pre-supposed truth that minorities or women are in some way inferior.

I'm searching for the kernel of truth in this joke...I don't get it.

confused.gif

Well, if you want to get right into it, the kernel of truth is that Hugo Boss DID in fact produce uniforms for the German military at the time of the Nazi regime.

The humour in it is the intentional misattribution of blame, in the insincere suggestion that that is, in fact, why people here do not like Hugo Boss.

There is additionally a subtextual reference to the "non sequitur" logical fallacy, that being "Hugo Boss designed military uniforms worn by the Nazi's, therefore, Hugo Boss are Nazi's." Obviously, them having designed military uniforms for the Nazi's didn't mean that they even subscribed to the Nazi ideology of the time, let alone that they still do, so intentionally making a claim that all can agree is illogical is, additionally, a part of the humour.

Also, guys in jackboots =
laugh.gif

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
You guys should read through the "pre-SF regrettable purchases" thread or whatever it's called. It's like half Hugo Boss stuff, bought at full retail of course. So a lot of people have a sore spot. And their grandmas are Jewish.

what gets me is that ppl on those threads are apologetic for buying something hugo boss, it's as if SF has made it a 4 letter word. i guess you need approval for your purchases from someone better dressed than you.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California

I think 90% of these people would be more than happy if the cool kids on SF did not tell them they should not like HB.

What many on this forum forget is that the really steep discounts and the array of labels are not available to all of us with any sort of ease. For me, a Boss on sale for 700 including lifetime alterations is a good deal. I just picked up a Canali, on holidays, for 800 USD which is a good deal too. But having to find a tailor, paying that extra etc makes the Boss I can get at home more appealing too.

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vegas
Well, if you want to get right into it, the kernel of truth is that Hugo Boss DID in fact produce uniforms for the German military at the time of the Nazi regime.

The humour in it is the intentional misattribution of blame, in the insincere suggestion that that is, in fact, why people here do not like Hugo Boss.

There is additionally a subtextual reference to the "non sequitur" logical fallacy, that being "Hugo Boss designed military uniforms worn by the Nazi's, therefore, Hugo Boss are Nazi's." Obviously, them having designed military uniforms for the Nazi's didn't mean that they even subscribed to the Nazi ideology of the time, let alone that they still do, so intentionally making a claim that all can agree is illogical is, additionally, a part of the humour.

Also, guys in jackboots =
laugh.gif

Hmmmmmmmm......

Was the (mis)attribution of blame "insincere?" Or...Does it accurately reflect the "kernel of truth" that to the poster's mind was amusing?

In the poster's mind, was it a "logical fallacy" (or a non sequitur) that those who make or use Hugo Boss products are Nazis....or was this yet another kernel of truth to the poster's mind.

I suppose it all comes down to what the poster was thinking when he posted this. No one is a mind reader; one can only draw conclusions from what one observes and how one interprets it. You clearly have more faith in the human spirit than I do.

I must ponder this further.

Also, guys in Jackboots =
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads