• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering pleated to flat front pants

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I realize this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering how simple it would be to alter a pleated pant to a flat front one. I recently had a tailor tell me it was possible, but I can't imagine it would be easy.

The only easy way I can think of is if the pants are single pleated and the tailor just took the pleat and folded it into itself to make a dart.

Thoughts?

ptolbert

Reaction score
We offer this service at work, we charge 55 or 65 depending where the trousers are purchased.

it basically involves removing the waistband, and recutting the trouser through the wiast and seat.

It is time intensive, and I would only leave such work to a well skilled tailor.

tgfny

Reaction score
Anyone can suggest someone in NYC to handle this?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
messes with the pocket placement, right?

Buster

Reaction score
Anyone can suggest someone in NYC to handle this?

I had recently a few (less complicated) pants altrations with
Wilfred's Tailor (18 w. 23rd Street, at Fifth Avenue, 4th floor). Seemed like pretty capable tailors ( at least for alterations).

B

ptolbert

Reaction score
messes with the pocket placement, right?
It shouldnt, because the pants are recut, as if a new patterm were made.Takes out from either side of the fly, thus the pockets rest where they should.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok....

that kind of alteration raises a couple of issues for me....

1. theyd have to be damn expensive pants to justify the cost of taking on this project versus just replacing them

and

2. if they were that expensive - would you really want to risk destroying them versus just going out and buying some flat fronts?

ptolbert

Reaction score
Well, if it is a nice suit, ie really nice OTR (an oxymoron of course), most of them come with pleats, and some people just dont work well with pleats.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of beautiful Loro Piana-fabric bespoke gabardine trousers that were made for me about six or seven years ago. They are in great shape but since I made the catastrophic error of having them made with DEEP, double reverse pleats, plus a very full, wide leg, they never get much use. Eliminating the pleats would make these trousers useful again.

I also recently purchased a tan worsted Corneliani suit which has single reverse pleats. The suit would just be a lot sharper if it were flat front. Italians ought to know better.

SpartanUndressed

Reaction score
I just bought a suit (online), kind of a snap decision because it was so highly discounted. Tried it on, and i really like the suit - but has double-reverse pleated pants which are not my style. Based on your expertise, what are your suggestions? Can I have the pleats removed - I would very much prefer flat front? Return the suit?

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Funny, because I just brought a pair of charcoal, flannel, chalkstripe suit pants that were double pleated into my tailor today. He told me that it takes a lot of work, but it can be done without leaving any additional seams or changes in the flow of the pinstripe (i.e. he claims it should look perfect). The only thing he said I'd lose was the small change pocket on the right side just under the waistband.

These are PRL pants with the typical straight front pockets which he says is more difficult to do than slanted front pockets.

He is charging me $60. A bit of an expensive alteration, but I just couldn't stand the look of the double pleats as this is part of a 3 piece suit. Should look considerably better though with flat front.

I can let you know how it goes.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Remove waistband and pocket (if it is 1/4 top or side pocket) cut off the amount of the pleat and reshape side. Remake the pocket, attach waistband, resew the curtain. Voila!

If the front pocket is besom and set into the cloth you have to remove the cloth from the fly, remake the fly and sew on the waistband. Unless you are removing so much cloth you could cut away the besom pocket. That is a more problematic alteration because you need cloth to remake the pocket or cloth to make a facing for 1/4 top or side pocket.

I like pleated trousers.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you would like diagrams that explain the process.
go to ask andy. go to search, "ask for removing trouser pleats"
scroll way down the list, its dated 5/16/05.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you Alex.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
chris you beat me again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads