• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
But every joke contains a kernel of truth. That's what makes a joke funny.

That's why people get offended by racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc. It's because the joke contains some pre-supposed truth that minorities or women are in some way inferior.

I'm searching for the kernel of truth in this joke...I don't get it.

confused.gif

for at least one of the posters here it wasn't a joke.

personally, i don't get it either. what does the current Boss share with the Boss of 70 years ago in terms of management team and values?

and how many Germans today had parents and grandparents who continued drawing a salary while the Nazis were in power? should we stop associating with them too for being the descendents of collaborators?

you get on a slippery slope.

Batini

Reaction score

That's why people get offended by racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc. It's because the joke contains some pre-supposed truth that minorities or women are in some way inferior.

confused.gif

No, just majority of people are not getting jokes. And regarding HB quality, I do own couple of suits and accessories. You got to be insane to pay $900 for 100s wool suit and $80 for their belts if you re not getting "a deal" at least half of the MSRP.

politico

Reaction score

confused.gif

Kernel of truth is Hugo Boss designed uniforms for Nazis.

politico

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
All BMW drivers are collaborateurs and Nazi friends.

To be fair, some BMW drivers could only have membership in the party in order to save people's lives like Oscar Schindler.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
stowa and iwc made watches for the luftwaffe
I was referring to the Quandt family. Though they didnt own BWM during the war it became the most important company they owned after WWII. The basis for their enourmous wealth and for what they made of BWM what it is today was, at least partly, was the use of forced labour for their other companies during the Nazi time. At the Nuremberg trial it was also "forgotten" that they were involved in the arms industry. Today the still own more than 45% of BMW; it is probalby the greatest example denazification failures.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their higher end stuff is nice...quite well constructed (I'm talking the stuff that I have only seen in their michigan ave store and not department stores).

For the price of that stuff however you could do way better elsewhere.

I was helping a friend buy a few suits and he insisted on at least looking at the Boss store. Luckily it was not our first stop and he already had seen some of the important construction bits (wanting half canvas or full canvas, etc.). He zeroed in on their nicest line as being the only thing comparable to other stuff we were considering.

They didn't have price tags on that stuff...and it was pretty much game over when the salesperson told us. Ended up getting two suits for a good deal less than half of the Boss suit (they were a slight step down in quality from the boss suit...but 1/4 the price).

The lower end boss stuff was even more of a joke for the price point.

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
according to sf-ers, what is worth it at retail? the vast majority of threads have the caveat, at full price you'd be insane. when i cross shop, i usually dont compare a retail boss vs clearance xyz brand. I mean boss orange stuff on sale is cheaper than a lot of banana republic stuff at retail, hell even the same price as old navy.

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
Kernel of truth is Hugo Boss designed uniforms for Nazis.

So anyone who wears Hugo Boss clothing is a Nazi???

Perhaps you could see how some people might take offence to that.

Asherlc

Reaction score
So anyone who wears Hugo Boss clothing is a Nazi???

Perhaps you could see how some people might take offence to that.

He's saying the kernel of truth is that they made clothes for Nazi's, as opposed to the kernel being that people dislike Hugo Boss for that reason.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Their higher end stuff is nice...quite well constructed (I'm talking the stuff that I have only seen in their michigan ave store and not department stores).

For the price of that stuff however you could do way better elsewhere.

I was helping a friend buy a few suits and he insisted on at least looking at the Boss store. Luckily it was not our first stop and he already had seen some of the important construction bits (wanting half canvas or full canvas, etc.). He zeroed in on their nicest line as being the only thing comparable to other stuff we were considering.

They didn't have price tags on that stuff...and it was pretty much game over when the salesperson told us. Ended up getting two suits for a good deal less than half of the Boss suit (they were a slight step down in quality from the boss suit...but 1/4 the price).

The lower end boss stuff was even more of a joke for the price point.

What's hugo boss's high end stuff, I thought their suit is all fused regardless which line. My early age versace and gucci (5+ years ago?) are full canvassed (made by Zegna to mainline quality, not sure how things are these days). Personally would buy hugo boss for sports wear, and shirt/tie, but that's about it.

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asherlc
He's saying the kernel of truth is that they made clothes for Nazi's, as opposed to the kernel being that people dislike Hugo Boss for that reason.

Exactly...that's the "joke."

He's not coming out and saying it but he's making the association.

The reader then connects the dots for himself.

Bentley

Reaction score
The sense I am getting is that most people seem to feel that their shirts and pants are good (though perhaps a bit overpriced) but that their suits use fused material and are thus of a poorer quality.

Just out of curiousity, what do people think would be a reasonable price for a pair of Hugo Boss dress pants and for a Hugo Boss shirt.

I'm presently considering a couple of pairs of their dress pants. One pair costs about $220 and the other is $300. I'm waiting to see if these get put on sale but what do others think a reasonable price would be?

mat135ta

Reaction score
I don't like most Boss shoes I saw. The suits are not up to SF standard. Some of their ties are ok.

However, I do like some of their made-in-Italy shirts. I have two with buttons replaced by myself and now they are among my favorite shirts (along with some Borrelli shirts)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads