• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

Bentley

Reaction score
I'm new here on SF but I get the sense that a lot of members here don't seem to like Hugo Boss clothing.

I have a few Hugo Boss items and I quite like them. I'm wondering what it is that others here don't like about this brand.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uniform-ss_officers.gif

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nazi topic is very cheap....

The most ST users disslike as other designer brands, too fashion forward and very low quality for the price.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. the nazi thing is a joke. Well the nazi thing isn't a joke, they did actually make uniforms for the nazis, but thats not the reason why SF'ers don't like it, that part is the joke. SF'ers generally don't like Hugo Boss suits because their jackets are fused (according to SF this is a deadly sin) and some of their suits/jackets/pants have synthetic fibres like polyester in them. There's a general repulsion towards anything too fashion oriented here (we tell ourselves we appreciate style, not fashion
laugh.gif
) Plus I think most SF'ers probably spent alot of money on at least one Hugo Boss suit before coming here and realizing they could get better for less. FWIW, I think their stuff is OK. The only real gripe people can point to is jackets are fused and shoes are not very traditional looking. Their pants, shirts, ties, etc. are comparable to many other brands (except for the ones with synethic blends.) After that it's just a matter of preference. But if you're comparing full price Hugo Boss to the sale stuff you find here, there's no competition, Hugo Boss just doesn't stand a chance.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very low quality for the price.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low quality for what you are paying, fused construction and honestly, I just don't like the fit.

politico

Reaction score
SF doesn't like anything that's not a $5k Bespoke Rubinacci.(bought for $1k on FS forum)

Everything else is trash, and needs to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
SF doesn't like anything that's not a $5k Bespoke Rubinacci.(bought for $1k on FS forum) Everything else is trash, and needs to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise.
LOL, well put my friend. Here's an example why BOSS is so disliked. An entry level BOSS suit retails for $999 at Harry Rosen in Canada plus tax. I just picked up an entry level bespoke down the street for $900. My jacket has no fusing (glue) and no one else is walking around with an identical suit. Mine will also stand up better to dry cleaning and day to day wear. I have quite a few BOSS ties and shirts that I do enjoy that I picked up on sale. I even have a 3 piece BOSS suit I picked up at a heavy discount. Most things on SF get a bad rap when they have a poor price/quality ratio so it's not that everyone is too snobby for cheaper items, its that they're educated consumers and know what they are buying and what it's worth.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo Boss makes some nice slim fitting outerwear. Best had on sale, never full retail.

politico

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Hugo Boss makes some nice slim fitting outerwear. Best had on sale, never full retail.

I would like to know which brands are best had at full retail rather than on sale.

Sir, I realize this blazer is marked down 20%, but, I'd rather buy Brioni, Canali, Purple Label, at full retail. It's more becoming of the status of the brand. Thank you kindly

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
I would like to know which brands are best had at full retail rather than on sale.

Sir, I realize this blazer is marked down 20%, but, I'd rather buy Brioni, Canali, Purple Label, at full retail. It's more becoming of the status of the brand. Thank you kindly

I believe Mr. Riley was suggesting that the outerwear offerings of Hugo Boss are only worth purchasing when they are on sale, as opposed to other brands which may present a good value even at their full retail price.

politico

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gotlighters
people buy Hugo Boss for the brand name

Good eye, for a relentless brand whoring site like this one, take an eye to self reflection.

SF posters fancy themselves above the "fashion" brands like Boss, Gucci, or something of the sort, while at the same time throwing themselves at the altar of the SF approved brands.

Brioni, Canali, and Ralph Lauren are not worth their pricepoints, and have the same, if not worse markup than anything you can grab from Hugo Boss, you just get the smug sense of superiority over the unwashed Nordstroms shopping masses with your $3000 off the rack Brioni which has a markup 3x that of Hugo Boss.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not paying attention if you think most people here are paying retail.

Most whine about paying 50% of retail.

To be honest most pride themselves on finding better things for less then the crappier stuff at full retail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics