• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe care supply checklist

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is edge dressing necessary is there any alternatives?

are most sole edges black?

bapelolol

Reaction score
Am I supposed to apply the shoe cream to the shoe so it has a matte finish, let it sit for 10 minutes, then brush/buff it off?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
Am I supposed to apply the shoe cream to the shoe so it has a matte finish, let it sit for 10 minutes, then brush/buff it off?

Yes. Generally I always do 2 pairs of shoes at 1 go. Apply cream to 1 pair then cream to 2nd pair. Have a drink, then buff off 1st pair, followed by 2nd.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
- Shoe trees ($20/pair)
- Show cream (Meltonian is good, can also be used as edge dressing, $3/tin)
- Shoe polish (Kiwi is good, $3/tin)
- Cotton or flannel cloths (old t-shirts work fine)
- Cleaner/conditioner (optional, $5 or so)

There's my list.

contactdo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
- Shoe trees ($20/pair) - Show cream (Meltonian is good, can also be used as edge dressing, $3/tin) - Shoe polish (Kiwi is good, $3/tin) - Cotton or flannel cloths (old t-shirts work fine) - Cleaner/conditioner (optional, $5 or so)
Im getting some products to take care of my shoes, but I'm a little confused about whether I need both a shoe cream and a shoe cream polish. I'm confused b/c I saw this picture: http://www.cedarshoetree.com/images/large/MELTC.jpg Newb question. Is that a shoe cream or a cream polish like it says on the tin or are they the same thing? If they are the same thing, does that mean I apply this first, then apply a wax polish such as Kiwi on top of it? Thanks in advance.

talldesk

Reaction score
No. Cleaner/conditioner is inadequate to take off old layers of wax. Use rubbing alcohol, get a bottle. If you're dealing with expensive shoes, you might want to mix with some water.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by talldesk
No. Cleaner/conditioner is inadequate to take off old layers of wax. Use rubbing alcohol, get a bottle. If you're dealing with expensive shoes, you might want to mix with some water.

what is an easy way to tell if they have old excess wax?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bumping this up for fall/winter prep.

any tips on waterproofing, treating for overexposure to moisture, etc?

mostly I won't be wearing mine until I get into the office.
while on the street, i'll be wearing rain boots, Tretorn.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first time i used a horsehair shoeshine brush (been using rags before now).

dare i say, amazing.
gives it a great shine.

so satisfying seeing it go from muddy and matte to pure shine.

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Hello. Got these Gravati's (new in box, wrapped in tissue, with shoe bag) from Zappos. However they came with dust deposited on them, had somewhat stiff leather, and overall looking very dull from the outside. The insoles and lining is perfect, with golden gravati logo.

I tried Creme Alpina (cleaner/conditioner), Kiwi shoe polish, and then 1 more coat of Creme Alpina which improved the condition. However still not like new shining shoes. Any suggestions how to nourish/polish it before I wear please? The split toe feels more 'smooth' and is shining more than the rest of the uppers.

Also any comments on quality - it has grains which I think are a sign of good leather?

Many thanks.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Saphir Renovateur (or apply liberally Crema Alpina), let sit for one night, brush and buff, wear for 2-3 hours - just to see where the creases start to form - and then apply wax.
Those are pebble grain, so they will not shine as plain calf, but you can spit shine the toe and the back quarters.
Pebble grain is not full grain, it is a kind of corrected grain (the grains are stamped on the leather), but they seem good quality.

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Many thanks for the useful advice koolhistorian. It worked. However, I just noticed there are scuffs all over the vamp stiching, might be a manufacturing defect. I would probably unfortunately return them now.

Your help is really very much appreciated.

Re leather type, wondering if it is tumbled calf that gravati uses on many of its models.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
first time i used a horsehair shoeshine brush (been using rags before now).

dare i say, amazing.
gives it a great shine.

so satisfying seeing it go from muddy and matte to pure shine.

I use a soft horsehair brush, then a rag. Similar result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads