• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Shorten a Belt [pictorial]

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I think it does look too short now.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Actually I think it does look too short now. Very nice pictorial though!

Thanks! If you make it longer, it will only flap more.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pictorial is nice indeed. Although you could have saved some time by just posting: unscrew the thingy, cut da belt with dem scissors, punch a hole with a tool that nobody has or really woud want to own, rescrew the thingy... voilà !
smile.gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pictorial is nice indeed. Although you could have saved some time by just posting: unscrew the thingy, cut da belt with dem scissors, punch a hole with a tool that nobody has or really woud want to own, rescrew the thingy... voilà !
smile.gif

Hehe. You're right about that.

(What's it called?)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's simply called a "leather hole punch", costs like $7 on ebay, $8 on amazon (more expensive at your local hardware, or craft store). Fun & cheap tool to have.

Of course, if you only need to shorten 1 belt, bring it to a cobbler....

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
It's simply called a "leather hole punch", costs like $7 on ebay, $8 on amazon (more expensive at your local hardware, or craft store). Fun & cheap tool to have.

Of course, if you only need to shorten 1 belt, bring it to a cobbler....

Thanks, onix. I assumed it wasn't revolver punch pliers in English.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Thanks, onix. I assumed it wasn't revolver punch pliers in English.

Yeah, different place call it differently (plier vs puncher, rotary vs revolver vs revolving)... most of the time, search using "leather hole punch" is sufficient.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course, once you know how easy it is, you can save big on discounted belts. Unlike other clothing items, when clearance time comes and nothing is left besides super small and super large--you can still benefit from buying the size 42 belt
smile.gif

Now that I know how easy the screws are, (and thanks for the suggestion of using a drill...much cleaner than a stanley knife), I will look for belts like this that are too big.

Belts where the buckle is sewn on with folded over leather (like mine) are a little more work...I do have one belt that would be even easier though. It is one of those black/brown reversible jobs and the buckle is held on by a pair of set screws that pinch the leather. To shorten, just loosen screws, cut belt, reinsert and tighten.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread comes at the perfect time, as I recently was looking to get a replacement for my black jeans belt, which happens to be just one hole too long.

Thank you!

- Keith

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
what if it doesnt have that screw - none of my belts do... =)
It is amazing how often one of these comes in handy: http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitche.../dp/B00194DF2Q That, knife, scissors, and leather punch is all it took to shorten the belt I'm wearing now. The stitching may not be perfectly straight if you're not practiced, and the thread is a light tan, but you can buy different thread, and the stitching is hidden under the end of the belt anyway. On a sidenote, for those of you like me who require size 30 belts, this kind of thing makes life a LOT easier.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
i have numerous italian belts - borrelli, testoni and "made in italy belts" - brooks brothers and the like - all are stitched, none screwed. leaving it to a pro is what i'd do, for certain, and I do need to shorten some belts. in NYC - any recs?
Any competent luggage repair or cobbler should be able to do it in a few minutes.
Originally Posted by otc
The belt I am wearing was not screwed but I managed to shorten it
smile.gif
On mine, the end was folded back over it self and sewed down (with a hole for the tongue) with 4 loops of thread--both sides of the loop on top and bottom. I cut those threads, cut off a few inches, used the utility knife to cut a new hole, folded it back over, opened up little holes with an awl and then used approximately as much thread as was originally used to sew it back up. Only snags were as follows: somehow I managed to get the hole for the tongue slightly off center. It is not noticable when the belt is on (since the end of the belt covers it). Other snag was that the belt was lined which mad folding it over look bad. To solve this, I actually cut out the back of the part that would be folded over and stripped out the lining (but I own other belts where you could get away without doing this). It was a pretty quick job...but I would bet a cobbler could do it much nicer for pretty cheap.

Very nice. This is what I'd have written had I had the time and patience -- w/ one addition: Instead of stitching the buckle back on, you could fold the tip of the belt over and add snaps or screws to secure the buckle. Either way, you'd probably need to cut out the lining.
...punch a hole with a tool that nobody has or really woud want to own, ...)
I've had one since I was a kid and got obsessed w/ leather work for a year. Have used it maybe four times in twentyfour years.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by New Dialect
Nice job! I think I'm going to call my leather punch a revolver-pons-tang from now on. I just need to work on my Dutch accent.

Thanks. You could also say gatentang ('holes pliers'), but that's not nearly as cool as revolverponstang, and possibly even harder to pronounce for an English speaker.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
The belt I am wearing was not screwed but I managed to shorten it
smile.gif

On mine, the end was folded back over it self and sewed down (with a hole for the tongue) with 4 loops of thread--both sides of the loop on top and bottom.

I cut those threads, cut off a few inches, used the utility knife to cut a new hole, folded it back over, opened up little holes with an awl and then used approximately as much thread as was originally used to sew it back up.

Only snags were as follows: somehow I managed to get the hole for the tongue slightly off center. It is not noticable when the belt is on (since the end of the belt covers it). Other snag was that the belt was lined which mad folding it over look bad. To solve this, I actually cut out the back of the part that would be folded over and stripped out the lining (but I own other belts where you could get away without doing this).

It was a pretty quick job...but I would bet a cobbler could do it much nicer for pretty cheap.

I did this recently with a Borrelli croc belt, but I used a drill to make the hole for the tongue and used a knife and file to finish it off. The hardest part was piercing new holes which lined up front and back to sew it together, and there was a row each side of the keeper. A belt with a screw is child's play.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads