• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

squats

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't paying any attention to the recipient of the advice. I've tried writing you a longer response several times, but it's not worth it. Dude needs to spend some time under a heavy bar. He has all the time in the world to do all of that other **** when he's got some decent LBM on his side.

I will read the material you are suggesting as I construct a model of fitness in my head that I try to reach, but I would wager it is all written for the 5'10 180 pound male who benches his body weight, NOT the individual asking for advice here. That's what you keep missing.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ross's programs are generally based on you already being a fit, strong motherfucker with good work capacity. He's a boxing trainer.

This might be of interest to someone who doesn't want to go all-in with mass gain via SS/squats:
http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=15268

The GPP (formerly Crossfit) program at Wichita Fals Athletic Club (owned by Rip):

MON: Squat, Press, Power Cleans
TUES: Chin ups, Conditioning
WED: Rest
THURS: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
FRI: Conditioning

So you cut out a day of lifting and add in two days of met-cons, add weight as you would following SS.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
You aren't paying any attention to the recipient of the advice. I've tried writing you a longer response several times, but it's not worth it. Dude needs to spend some time under a heavy bar. He has all the time in the world to do all of that other **** when he's got some decent LBM on his side.

I will read the material you are suggesting as I construct a model of fitness in my head that I try to reach, but I would wager it is all written for the 5'10 180 pound male who benches his body weight, NOT the individual asking for advice here. That's what you keep missing.

You're projecting your ideals on him. He's already said he doesn't wanna gain weight. If i were him, i'd wanna put on 20lbs quickly, but that's not what he's asked for.

Having said that, he should know that even if he puts on 15-20lbs, his clothes will likely still fit. shirts will be tighter, but probably not in a bad way.

Originally Posted by milosz
Ross's programs are generally based on you already being a fit, strong motherfucker with good work capacity. He's a boxing trainer.

This might be of interest to someone who doesn't want to go all-in with mass gain via SS/squats:
http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=15268

The GPP (formerly Crossfit) program at Wichita Fals Athletic Club (owned by Rip):

MON: Squat, Press, Power Cleans
TUES: Chin ups, Conditioning
WED: Rest
THURS: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
FRI: Conditioning

So you cut out a day of lifting and add in two days of met-cons, add weight as you would following SS.

this program sounds fine for his goals, except it has no military press and no pullups (unless they're part of the conditioning). I'd still want to be doing more weights though.

Something like a push pull legs routine:
Monday = Push:
Bench 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Incline/Flies
Skull Crushers

Wednesday = Pull
Pullups
Deadlifts 5x5
Cleans/bent over row/seated row 5x5

Friday = Legs
Squats 5x5
Front Squats 5x5
Abs.

Then the weekend for cardio if you can be fucked.

Anyway, there's plenty of info out there. He can make up his mind.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 'press' in the WF program is a military/overhead/whatever unless specified as bench.

Morgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
It may be your shoes. If you wear running shoes with huge padding on the heel then you may be putting stress on your knees.

By the way, my stats are almost identical to yours in age, weight and work-out preference.

I actually wear Vibram 5 Fingers in the gym, so they're totally flat. I really like how they make me feel rooted to the floor under the bar. I'm so much more stable in them and I can go deeper without any balance issues (no squishy soles moving around underneath me).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chucks are great for squatting.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Chucks are great for squatting.

Not when you are loading over 350+lbs! I also think depending on your range of motion going A2G isn't always appropriate or necessary. I wanna see you guys squat 400lbs A2G and not have any knee issues...

Rikkar501

Reaction score
^^We all know powerlifters don't squat A2G; too much weight, different stance, probably wearing squat briefs. But if you have the range of motion and aren't getting into the high levels of weight ( most here certainly aren't) A2G is great.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
You're projecting your ideals on him. He's already said he doesn't wanna gain weight. If i were him, i'd wanna put on 20lbs quickly, but that's not what he's asked for.

Just by saying he doesn't want to gain "weight" is an open door for some education. These aren't my ideals, this is just UNcommon sense. I won't insult anyone by claiming it is common sense. Weight training does do what I remember him asking once you peel back the misnomers (aka - "toning").

Consider it my challenge from skinny du to skinnier du - Do a 5x5 program for 12 weeks and report back. Three lousy months. The debate isn't necessary unless he doesn't have 12 weeks to spare.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
Not when you are loading over 350+lbs!

Just depends on the individual. Too many variables for a blanket statement.
There's a little guy (meaning short) at the gym who squats 465 for 6 in Chuck's...

I squat in Chuck's or barefeet (when the gym staff doesn't yell at you. But my 1 RM for squats is only 300.

Speaking of which... today is leg day.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
Not when you are loading over 350+lbs! I also think depending on your range of motion going A2G isn't always appropriate or necessary. I wanna see you guys squat 400lbs A2G and not have any knee issues...

Granted I'm not expert at this **** as everyone here knows, but if I'm not mistaken it was Rippetoe who recommended the Chucks for squatting. And those bodybuilding guys see him as Jesus.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the main reason Chucks are recommended is because they don't have the compressible heel that many athletic shoes have today, so you can be a bit more efficient in your lift. It's also kind of old school.

A2G is great if you have the hamstring flexibility to keep your lower back neutral or in slight extension, but if you get buttwink (butt tucks under) and your knees move forward to facilitate the depth, then you are releasing some hamstring tension and it's not useful to go down so low. Knees moving forward at the bottom of the squat, as mentioned in another thread, can also cause hip tendonitis. The point of going below parallel is to recruit the hamstrings, so you shouldn't be going so low to cause them to release.

Here is Rip's explanation: http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?p=50010

--Andre

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has given me the courage to ask a question. I love how I look naked...should I:

1) go down farther when I squat
2) go down just as much as I do now
3) fall in love with myself all over again

?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all the above; go down on yourself as much as you do now

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
all the above; go down on yourself as much as you do now

Thank you. I love this fovum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads