• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

squats

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bodyweight squats would be fine if you really are worried about putting on weight.

However, i strongly recommend doing heavy weight squats. It's really easy to monitor if you think you're getting too big. You'll be losing fat anyway. Heaps of guys would love to get big thighs but they don't because it's not that easy to put on weight.

Your thighs will get bigger with bodyweight squats anyway if you did them enough. also the bodyweight squats aren't really gonna benefit your other lifts as much as heavy squats.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
I've been doing a basic 5x5 type workout since New Years (yes, I actually stuck with my resolution for 5 1/2 months so far!). Each workout begins with either squats or deadlifts, then a mix of other basic moves - bench press, overhead press, pullups, etc.

My strength increased consistently and I put on maybe 5-10 pounds of muscle over 5 months. I was thrilled, but recently my knees began to ache. Sometimes the pain occurs while I am doing the deadlift or squat, but not usually. The pain will typically strike at random later in the day, while I am walking to lunch, or walking home from work. It's not a sharp pain, but deep and sometimes intense - like I have to sit down because I can't walk intense. It soon passes and I hobble on, then I'm walking normally five minutes later. I consult Beginning Strength regularly and try to be rigorous about my form, but I think I must be doing something wrong. What is the most likely cause here? Am I just getting old?

If it helps, I am 33 years old, 5'11" and about 165 lb. I've always been slim and not particularly strong, but I've always worked out enough to stay in moderate shape. This is is the first time I've followed a really structured plan to get stronger, as opposed to just going to the gym to do some lifting and/or cardio, which has never injured me before.

It may be your shoes. If you wear running shoes with huge padding on the heel then you may be putting stress on your knees.

By the way, my stats are almost identical to yours in age, weight and work-out preference.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
bodyweight squats would be fine if you really are worried about putting on weight.

However, i strongly recommend doing heavy weight squats. It's really easy to monitor if you think you're getting too big. You'll be losing fat anyway. Heaps of guys would love to get big thighs but they don't because it's not that easy to put on weight.

Your thighs will get bigger with bodyweight squats anyway if you did them enough. also the bodyweight squats aren't really gonna benefit your other lifts as much as heavy squats.

Cool, I'll give that a shot along with the 5x5 program you suggested and just monitor myself more closely. Thanks again.

splattered

Reaction score
I finally started going to the gym over the last couple weeks... my god i am weak in my old (30) age heh ugh.

Squats seem to be what kick ****** the most... the first day we did squats and i had to do lighter weights because im weak but **** i had a hard time walking down stairs for a few days. We did squats yesterday though - more reps and heavier weight and i did alright compared to that first day.

I can see how they are very beneficial to your overall workout though... but at the same time i don't want big ass thighs. I'm 6' 160lbs so i'm thin but not super skinny. I want to tone up and i DO want to gain some mass, just not a huge amount in my legs. I want to be proportionate but i don't want big beefy legs.

How hard/realistic is it to get to a good healthy point and maintain?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
As someone said earlier, shed the fat and the muscles should show so that would help in toning and being cut I guess. I wouldn't mind gaining weight or extra pounds of muscle as long as I do have to size up in my clothes afterwards.

If you begin lifting heavy as everyone here is suggesting AND continue your current diet, you will:

1) Lose fat.
2) Gain muscle.

I doubt you have any muscle to speak of currently to "show" with "toning". A 5'10 140lb male does not need tabatas unless you are trying to reach specific cardiovascular goals.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
If you begin lifting heavy as everyone here is suggesting AND continue your current diet, you will:

1) Lose fat.
2) Gain muscle.

I doubt you have any muscle to speak of currently to "show" with "toning". A 5'10 140lb male does not need tabatas unless you are trying to reach specific cardiovascular goals.

You are probably right.
lol8[1].gif

Stay away from tabata then, duly noted.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
You are probably right.
lol8[1].gif

Stay away from tabata then, duly noted.

No, do Tabatas! They are a fantastic conditioning tool. Surely you want to also have a good CV base and not just look good. But eat clean and lift hard and you will see results.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He doesn't need to perform conditioning right now. The first six to twelve weeks of barbell training will put his body through the ringer and be plenty conditioning enough.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
I finally started going to the gym over the last couple weeks... my god i am weak in my old (30) age heh ugh.

How hard/realistic is it to get to a good healthy point and maintain?

Once you are in your 30's you will have to fight tooth and nail for every pound of muscle and it's easy as hell to lose it again. Your biology is changing. Right now is the time for you to get serious about putting on lean mass if there is ever a year in your life to do it.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you are in your 30's you will have to fight tooth and nail for every pound of muscle and it's easy as hell to lose it again. Your biology is changing. Right now is the time for you to get serious about putting on lean mass if there is ever a year in your life to do it.

i have to disagree with this.

The physiological changes are much less exaggerated than people claim. The general trend to poor fitness from 30 onwards is due far more to lifestyle differences than anything else.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if you disagree, the guys in this thread fretting over putting on too much muscle are in for a big shock. The point really is - you just try and get too big and in one year you will probably be lamenting the fact you've only reached one half your goal.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you disagree, the guys in this thread fretting over putting on too much muscle are in for a big shock. The point really is - you just try and get too big and in one year you will probably be lamenting the fact you've only reached one half your goal.

absolutely. it's bloody hard to put on weight when you're a skinny guy.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He doesn't need to perform conditioning right now. The first six to twelve weeks of barbell training will put his body through the ringer and be plenty conditioning enough.

You can always balance gym work with CV fitness. I don't see why it has to be one or the other.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can be "balanced" - if your definition of balance is "not getting measurably better at either."

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can be "balanced" - if your definition of balance is "not getting measurably better at either."
This is rubbish. Look, I don't want to be spending time arguing with you, but you have 6 days a week (assuming 1 rest day). You can easily lift 3 days a week, run, swim, do intervals, etc. on the other days and keep things interesting. Are you saying that doing tabatas once or twice a week is going to impede your weight training? Go to Ross Enamait's forum sometime (or read Infinite Intensity) and see how one can structure a comprehensive program consisting of strength elements, conditioning, explosive power, speed, etc. and get good at all of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads