• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

squats

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Looking at that Rippetoe instruction video, the guy doing the squats has the weights lower behind his neck and sticks his chin out forward a lot more than I do. Is that good? I thought you were supposed to maintain a completely straight posture, and I've been resting the weights on my traps, not quite so low.

Rippetoe coaches a "low bar" squat - low bar position.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Rippetoe coaches a "low bar" squat - low bar position.

Yeah this is true, and it has helped me with stability, but I'm not sure about the chin pointing out issue the guy brought up. IIRC, Rippetoe says to keep your chin tucked as if trying to hold a tennis ball against your chest with it throughout the entire squat, while staring at a spot on the floor 6 feet in front of you the entire time.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Looking at that Rippetoe instruction video, the guy doing the squats has the weights lower behind his neck and sticks his chin out forward a lot more than I do. Is that good? I thought you were supposed to maintain a completely straight posture, and I've been resting the weights on my traps, not quite so low.

rippetoe's squat is a low-bar back squat, which is more of a powerlifting style squat as opposed to olympic lifting.

A high back back squat is probably what you're doing, which is fine. High bar back squats use a bit more of thighs than ass/hamstrings.

i do low bars because i'm not flexible enough to do high bars and get all that depth. also it's just the way i was taught and i can't be bothered learning high bar.

both are good.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by innerstyle
It's good you stopped and you definitely should not ignore knee pain. I'd recommend you watch the squat rx videos on youtube, you're bound to learn something that will improve your form. Here's the first one:
Squatrx videos are good
worship.gif
, helped me out alot awhile back.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Tabata Squats? I am somewhat limited in weights so I am considering this as an option.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Edit: If you seriously only want to get more cut, don't bother with the gym. Diet + cardio.

Keep in mind that there's no such thing as "muscle toning" per se. You can lose fat to make the muscle look toned.

If you want to tone without bulking, the important thing is to watch what you eat. If you start lifting and eat the same amount that you do now, it's impossible for you to get bigger. You will definitely lose fat.

I recommend that you work out to a simple 5x5 plan, and just monitor what you eat. Your muscles will get bigger, but you won't bulk up overall because you'll be losing fat, as long as you watch what you eat.

If at a month in, you think you've gained a couple of millimetres too much in the thighs, you can stop, and just do light weights. The muscle gain is really not overnight.

5 by 5 means you use a weight for which you can do 5 repetitions, over 5 sets, with gaps of about 90 secs or longer between each set.

I'm pretty confident you'll want to stick with a 5x5 programme after you've been doing it for a month. with perhaps a bit of cardio added in. Light weights are a waste of time IMO. May as well just be doing cardio.

Bill Starr's 5x5 is good. there's others out there. they'll all pretty much the same and focus on:
Squat
Deadlift
Benchpress
Military Press

Getting cut is 99% diet. Having the muscle that makes you look good once getting cut requires resistance exercise in addition to proper diet. Cardio is not necessary for either.

sidewinder13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toronto34
Always ass to the grass.

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
ass 2 grass

I was in the gym last night and was chanting this in my head while doing squats. Thanks for the advice. My butt hurts now.
bounce2.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
What do you guys think of Tabata Squats? I am somewhat limited in weights so I am considering this as an option.

Are you serious? Tabatas should not be mixed with any weights in my opinion. If you really did Tabatas, you need to be going ALL OUT which invariably means all goes well for the first 3 or 4 rounds but invariably in rounds 5 through 8, fatigue sets in and you have to fight to maintain form. If you are not, you aren't trying hard enough. This in itself is a recipe for disaster when mixed with heavy weights and the need to balance. Surest way to injure yourself....

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Are you serious? Tabatas should not be mixed with any weights in my opinion. If you really did Tabatas, you need to be going ALL OUT which invariably means all goes well for the first 3 or 4 rounds but invariably in rounds 5 through 8, fatigue sets in and you have to fight to maintain form. If you are not, you aren't trying hard enough. This in itself is a recipe for disaster when mixed with heavy weights and the need to balance. Surest way to injure yourself....

I think you missed my earlier post. I am contemplating adding squats in my routine so I asked if squats are good but I do not want to add size, just tone down. And since I am limited with my weight options, I was considering doing tabata squats instead and was just asking if it will do for what I am trying to accomplish.

Architects

Reaction score
I restarted the Rippetoe program (Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Military Light, Pendlay Rows) but I cut out the squats because last time I followed the program, I got rather big thighs which just does not look good in slim jeans. Squats are supposed to be done 3x a week and 3x5 per workout. Any ideas on how to include squats while getting the benefits of the growth hormes? Like should I start with really low weights and just do it 2x a week?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you missed my earlier post. I am contemplating adding squats in my routine so I asked if squats are good but I do not want to add size, just tone down. And since I am limited with my weight options, I was considering doing tabata squats instead and was just asking if it will do for what I am trying to accomplish.
You are 5' 10" and 140lbs. Do some real squats and don't be worried about gaining some weight. Even with 15 more pounds you'll still be skinny.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Tabatas and weights should not mix IMO. One of two things will happen. Either you will back off on the intensity which kinda defeats the whole point of Tabatas, or your form will deteriorate and you will get injured. I would stick with bodyweight for Tabatas, or else get a weighted vest if you need to add resistance.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

paraiso

Reaction score
Since we are in the subject, can someone explain why squats are one of the best workouts out there?

They're like benching and deadlifting in that they recruit a lot of muscles in order to perform the lift.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
No.

Tabatas and weights should not mix IMO. One of two things will happen. Either you will back off on the intensity which kinda defeats the whole point of Tabatas, or your form will deteriorate and you will get injured.

I would stick with bodyweight for Tabatas, or else get a weighted vest if you need to add resistance.

Sorry, I think I wrote it wrong again.
facepalm.gif
Doh. I meant should I do tabata (just body weight) or go with a regular squats with weights. It's a choice of one or the other, not combining both.

Originally Posted by sonick
You are 5' 10" and 140lbs. Do some real squats and don't be worried about gaining some weight. Even with 15 more pounds you'll still be skinny.

I'm not worried about gaining weight, I just don't want to bulk up. As someone said earlier, shed the fat and the muscles should show so that would help in toning and being cut I guess. I wouldn't mind gaining weight or extra pounds of muscle as long as I do have to size up in my clothes afterwards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads