• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffs on Suit Pants - no break?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to always get a break. Now, from being around here, I look at breaks in people's pants and it looks like they are "walking off" the extra length.

I always ask for no break. Problem is, tailors want you to have a break it seems. So, it is hit or miss.

The suit pants I am wearing today have absolutely no break. As a matter of fact, they are practically Thom Browne-esque.....some would call them highwaters.
laugh.gif

Mike

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I used to always get a break. Now, from being around here, I look at breaks in people's pants and it looks like they are "walking off" the extra length.

I always ask for no break. Problem is, tailors want you to have a break it seems. So, it is hit or miss.

The suit pants I am wearing today have absolutely no break. As a matter of fact, they are practically Thom Browne-esque.....some would call them highwaters.
laugh.gif

Mike

What is that about... I don't have a personal tailor (yet) but I've asked for less break when having the hem marked and received strange looks and comments like "yes, you want a break", and "well, maybe I can taper the hem towards the front a little bit.

I didn't know if this was a unique experience or not, but I guess not.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
What is that about... I don't have a personal tailor (yet) but I've asked for less break when having the hem marked and received strange looks and comments like "yes, you want a break", and "well, maybe I can taper the hem towards the front a little bit.

I don't know. I have two tailors. One just does it (but it never seems to be as breakless once done as when it is getting measured), one is very hesitant. I have to force her, and I always wind up with some little amount of break anyway. It is like she can't wrap her mind around it. But, she is cheap and fast, while the other is slow and pricey. So, she gets the call for most pants.

Mike

D Yizz

Reaction score
I also have the same predicament with my tailor. Even my wife asked the other day if I was hemming my pants too high.

By the way, I'm 5'3". Do you think cuffed pants (especially with the 2" SF cuff) will still look right?

politico

Reaction score
Slight break, no cuff.

It's best to live life on the edge like that.

inlandisland

Reaction score
You would really think that if anyone was going to be in the know about this sort of thing, tailors would be... Perhaps SF should start an accademy that will offer professional development opportunities...

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland

My guess is that tailors are afraid clients will not like it once it's done and it can't be undone. if a pant leg is too long, it can always be shortened. Not so the other way around.

IBJanky

Reaction score
No cuffs, and very little/no break.

All my trousers are tailored this way.

Too much break looks sloppy in my eyes. Looks like you didn't take the effort to spend the $10 to get them properly hemmed.

myke

sunman42000

Reaction score

laugh.gif

Mike

Post a photo, Mike. Would love to see! How much cuff do you have done?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunman42000
Post a photo, Mike. Would love to see! How much cuff do you have done?

I didn't have these done, actually. Suit is an E-Bay score and I am venturing the original owner was a fellow shorter than I. I was going to have them let down an inch, since they are basically sitting at the top of a Chukka boot, but I said to hell with it...and went with the semi-TB look. Cuffs look to be your standard 1.5 inchers.

I have everything from pants with a heavy break, to these near high-waters. I like to mix it up. I do prefer a no-break now though. I used to think it looked stupid...then I was assimilated.
laugh.gif

Mike

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
No cuffs, and very little/no break.

All my trousers are tailored this way.

Too much break looks sloppy in my eyes. Looks like you didn't take the effort to spend the $10 to get them properly hemmed.

myke

Yeah. My eyes get burned everyday. Out of 10 people, possibly 1 or 2 properly hem their pants. People either don't hem them properly (I can accept a strong break on other people) or they simply buy and wear. Overly wide legged and multi pleated pants are also the norm in business wear around these parts.

D Yizz

Reaction score
I didn't have these done, actually. Suit is an E-Bay score and I am venturing the original owner was a fellow shorter than I. I was going to have them let down an inch, since they are basically sitting at the top of a Chukka boot, but I said to hell with it...and went with the semi-TB look. Cuffs look to be your standard 1.5 inchers.

I have everything from pants with a heavy break, to these near high-waters. I like to mix it up. I do prefer a no-break now though. I used to think it looked stupid...then I was assimilated.
laugh.gif

Mike

I've liked the slight break even before arriving at SF. My height might have to do with it. lol!!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you liek highwaters and your socks to show when standing then go without a break because that is exactly what you'll get. If you don't like them too long you can do a slight break or medium break that will still look professional and elegant but not drag the floor.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 inch cuff, no break. Thank me later.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 inch cuff, no break. Thank me later.

I have a question -- do people do this regardless of fabric? Because I just got back a pair of light flannel trousers from the seamstress with a 5cm cuff, and while they're a bit long (have to get them redone), I also wonder if a cuff that weighty is appropriate on a light fabric. I have a cuff on some heavier flannels and it looks great. Any thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics