• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Am I the only one who thinks that giant white/off-white sole is ugly?
Nope. But then again, I think the upper is fugly too in a geriatric sort of way. Although it seems to work for me in the shoe version. Strange.

arrow

Reaction score
Sharing some Cigar Chukka love...

4624729008_91a1f6ed0b_b.jpg

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PETEROCK1
this one?

Picture2B2.jpg

Yeah, we will be seeing versions of that boot popping up in different leathers and sole options. I think that Winn Perry has a version coming in Fall.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow
Sharing some Cigar Chukka love...

4624729008_91a1f6ed0b_b.jpg

Those look great! They get even better when the color starts fading too...

What denim is that? It's super hairy!!!

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Nope.

But then again, I think the upper is fugly too in a geriatric sort of way.

Although it seems to work for me in the shoe version. Strange.

I'm not a big fan of it either. But people love Redwings!

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope.

Although it seems to work for me in the shoe version. Strange.

Not that strange, really. It's not a given that a successful shoe design will translate into a great boot, or vice-versa. I know some people like the indy shoe, but for me it falls flat, and has none of the charm of the boot.

slappy

Reaction score
Just received some indy boots from J.Crew purchased from their 15% off free shipping sale. The quality control on this pair is really pretty low. I have some pictures but its almost impossible to capture what Im talking about.
4624239473_75a8377ab2_m.jpg
4624837006_f68cf1b79a_m.jpg
The pictures above are trying to show that there is a gouging of the 'wood' (not actually sure its wood) there. The finish has been ripped off and the inside of the wood is exposed and has been damaged beyond that. It's a small area but is noticeable when looking at it while wearing it.
4624844654_9626fd507a_m.jpg
This is a minor issue, but just annoying. I shouldnt have scuff marks like this on a new boot. I mean it seems unreasonable to buy a boot, then immediately have to oil and polish out scuff marks. The main thing is the first two pictures, which as I said is impossible to capture on film. I showed it to some friends who immediately pointed out the problem area so its not just me being touchy. I think Im going to return these to J.Crew but unfortunately they are out of Indy boots. I guess its shoemart time.

arrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Those look great! They get even better when the color starts fading too...

What denim is that? It's super hairy!!!

Hey Jason... its the Sugar Cane Slack Denim

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of it either. But people love Redwings!

I love me some GTs and to an extent Iron Rangers, but when I see other RWs I often run for the hills.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Can't wait for those boots to come out, need to see all sole options before copping.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Just received some indy boots from J.Crew purchased from their 15% off free shipping sale. The quality control on this pair is really pretty low. I have some pictures but its almost impossible to capture what Im talking about.

You didn't receive Indy boots from J. Crew.

You received Indy seconds from J. Crew

slappy

Reaction score
You didn't receive Indy boots from J. Crew.

You received Indy seconds from J. Crew

Ha I was thinking the same thing. J.Crew just seems like too large and reputable a company to pull something like that. Either way they are going back, however the tone of my email to them will be different.

enigma77

Reaction score
Yeah, we will be seeing versions of that boot popping up in different leathers and sole options. I think that Winn Perry has a version coming in Fall.
Guess I still think that they'd look bad with that kind of sole in any color. I think this is the first Alden style I just think looks straight-up bad. I don't like NST on me, but NST on others I think looks great (see cigar chukkas a few posts up). I don't know, though. On these new boots, the upper looks fantastic, but the sole just kills it. I know others feel the same way about Alden's current crepe sole, which I love. Whatever. Different strokes. EDIT: It occurs to me that if you buy these direct through an Alden Store, they could probably put a different sole on for you. I know that the one on Madison Avenue will do that (probably for an upcharge, I'd imagine). I love the fact that there are no speed eyehooks. LOVE IT. Speed hooks look better on RWs than on Aldens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads