• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LCD TV; LED and 240hz Worth It?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Even BluRays runs with 24fps? When I was watching the BluRay of Avatar in the LED LCD by Sony at the store, it looked flawless.

Well...24 fps is what people are used to for film so it should feel flawless....

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I meant it was flawless with the soap opera effect, which from what I gather, isn't suppose to happen if it only runs in 24fps in a 240Hz LCD. This is definitely much more confusing than I had hoped.

bowman9000

Reaction score
If it is flawless to you then that's what matters.

LCDs suffer from motion blur. To fix the problem, manufactures speed up the refresh rate. When you speed it up to 120Hz or 240Hz, in theory, it should make movies display better. You actually speed up a 24fps movie 10 times on 240Hz sets, instead of 3:2 on the conventional 60Hz sets, which create other problems (this is an oversimplification). The problem is, the circuits they use introduce the soap-opera side effect.

This problem is inherent in LCD technology. But you have to take into account that this is just one aspect of HDTV. There are others such as color accuracy, power consumption, etc.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I am one of the few who doesn't see the soap opera effect as a negative. I actually really like it and do not find it as a side effect at all. I would prefer it when watching movies.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what really matters is what you like. if you go on any forum on TVs, there is endless debate on what's better. there are pros and cons to every set. you really could go mad trying to figure it all out. when you do finally figure everything out, something new is around the corner.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
what really matters is what you like. if you go on any forum on TVs, there is endless debate on what's better. there are pros and cons to every set. you really could go mad trying to figure it all out. when you do finally figure everything out, something new is around the corner.

Exactly...and its just a TV.

My suggestion, is pick a size and quality level and set a target price. Take that info and start trolling slickdeals (fatwallet or some other deal site should work just as well) and peaking at any deal that fits--not just frontpage stuff.

When you see a TV that meets your requirements and is below your target price, click buy. Go read the AVS forum or whatever guide on how to get that TV set up perfectly and then STOP READING! You will then be happy enough with your set and won't worry until it is time to replace (if you keep following those forums you will say things like "oh I could have waited and bought the X-brand with Y-feature which I might prefer to Z-feature).

Thats what I did...I new what size I wanted, and I knew I wanted a nicer panel (no westinghouse walmart specials). I looked at recent deals that had expired, saw that the kind of TVs I wanted occassionaly go below the $400 mark shipped. I lurked around (maybe a couple of weeks tops?) until I got an excellent TV shipped *overnight* for $380.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VS gets painful to read sometimes since there is so much debate on whats better.

i wholeheartedly agree that picking a $$$ and size is the best start.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am pretty set on a 42"-46", the one I am replacing is 32" so I want something bigger but nothing 50" or bigger. Price-wise, there really isn't a limit as I stated before but I guess I'll put the limit to $1,500-$2,000.

It seems everyone is in agreement that 120Hz is good enough to get the soap opera effect I like and 240Hz is just a waste. I am not getting if you guys think LED is worth the extra money though.

Also, there are conflicting answer on whether I will get the soap opera effect in the movies I watch through Direct TV or will I only get that through BluRay?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Yes, you will still have the soap opera effect in HDTV. You will have the option of turning on and off the Motion control in most TVs, so if you don't like it after a while, no worries.

2. If you are budgeting $2000, go for LED. It's the current technology. It's tough to notice differences at Best Buy with all the bright lights, but you tell a difference in the black levels of LED.

i'm liking the samsung 6500 series too. probably what i am going to recommend my family in getting.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Samsung > LG > Sony > Sharp

get yourself a PS3 as well and a nice surround system and you are all set.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I already have a PS3, it's actually my BluRay and HD player (I just connect an external hard drive and get some HD movie from my friends). It's for the bedroom so a nice sound system isn't a main concern unless I can find something real small, but for now, I'll probably just get a simple speaker/sound bar.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U should at least take full advantage of HD sound. Sound on blu Ray is ******* awesome. It's the exact copy of the audio track from the studio, totally uncompressed when outputted to 5.1

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yah, I might jsut go with the Samsung. I've been happy with mine so no reason to change up. You ranked LG higher than Sony though? Funny thing is, everytime I go to the store, Sony TVs always looks best for some reason.

I'm also switching up to Verizon Fios next week. Anybody have experience with it? I figure I'd ask here instead of creating a new thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads