• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of RL linen trousers that I'd like to have altered, and I'm wondering if the alterations I'm looking to make are something any reputable tailor should be able to handle, or if they're extraordinary requests. Based on the measurements of other trousers that fit well, I'd like to have my linen trousers taken in 1" at the waist and thigh, and 1/2" at the leg opening. Are these requests typical, extravagant, or something in between? - Keith

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
I have a pair of RL linen trousers that I'd like to have altered, and I'm wondering if the alterations I'm looking to make are something any reputable tailor should be able to handle, or if they're extraordinary requests.

Based on the measurements of other trousers that fit well, I'd like to have my linen trousers taken in 1" at the waist and thigh, and 1/2" at the leg opening. Are these requests typical, extravagant, or something in between?

- Keith

Those are very standard. Any tailor can do them. In fact, this is how I have my trousers altered: I just give him those I want to fix, and give him one that fits me best, and ask him to make every other one look exactly the same. Yep, that means changing leg opening, waist, thigh, crotch, etc.,.. Oh, and all of my trousers need to alter due to my odd measurements

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southernstyle
How much is a linen shirt capable of shrinking?
It all depends. What is nearly certain is that it will not shrink in the way that you want it to shrink. If you do a search on "linen shrink" you will find plenty of discussion on that matter.

southernstyle

Reaction score
hmmm interesting, I just ask because I got a short sleeve linen shirt for summer but the bottom is a little to long. I'm guessing the best way to shrink it would be wash it warm and then heat dry?

Gewehr

Reaction score
How can I spot differences between a man's checkbook and female checkbook [wallet/cover]?
I'm looking for a leather and slim one, that holds the checks and cards that's all.
This are only carried in jacket am I right?

Thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southernstyle
hmmm interesting, I just ask because I got a short sleeve linen shirt for summer but the bottom is a little to long. I'm guessing the best way to shrink it would be wash it warm and then heat dry?

You're supposed to tuck it in and not look like a slob.

southernstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
You're supposed to tuck it in and not look like a slob.
I'm just wearing it very casually, I'll tuck it in sometimes. Coming from you, you should know how muggy and hot its about to get down here in NC.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i recently dyed an old pair of leather shoes (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...6&postcount=35 pics at bottom of the post), and I want to put some leather cream on them. all I have is this beeswax leather cream, and some kiwi black shoe polish.

pic of the beeswax:

dscf2448h.jpg

is this fine to use? or should I just polish with black shoepolish? I dont really want them to be shiny, i'd rather have more of a flat/dull black finish. they're just going to be casual shoes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
so i recently dyed an old pair of leather shoes (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...6&postcount=35 pics at bottom of the post), and I want to put some leather cream on them. all I have is this beeswax leather cream, and some kiwi black shoe polish.

pic of the beeswax:

is this fine to use? or should I just polish with black shoepolish? I dont really want them to be shiny, i'd rather have more of a flat/dull black finish. they're just going to be casual shoes.

You don't have to buff the shoe polish to a high shine if you use it. And you may as well get some black shoe cream, too. It's only $3/tin or so.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r

pic of the beeswax:

dscf2448h.jpg

I would just use Saphir Renovateur.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
You don't have to buff the shoe polish to a high shine if you use it. And you may as well get some black shoe cream, too. It's only $3/tin or so.

is that any different from a can of shoe polish? (I have a can of black kiwi shoe polish).

I'll take a look at creams in the shoe isle next time i head to the store, thanks

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would just use Saphir Renovateur.

I tried googling, but I couldn't find any info on this, apart from some site that said its beeswax and mink oil? thanks for the recommendation though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads