• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School me on Spanish wines.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
spain and portugal - the two regions that I am least familiar with.
frown.gif
A shame.

Though I absolutely love Albarino, especially at this time of year. It's one of those wines that I tend to like more than Chablis or Kiwi SB or even some Loire whites ... yet I always forget to venture over to that section. Seek this varietal out.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
spain and portugal - the two regions that I am least familiar with.
frown.gif
A shame.

Though I absolutely love Albarino, especially at this time of year. It's one of those wines that I tend to like more than Chablis or Kiwi SB or even some Loire whites ... yet I always forget to venture over to that section. Seek this varietal out.

Liking albarino more than Chablis is sacrilege, but I love it as well. Still, I know so little that it is pretty hit and miss. If you can find this wine, buy it for great summer meals. Otherwise, I will experiment and report back.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Exhibit A: Rioja - R. López de Heredia.

Go drink as much as you can. The blancos, the rosados, the tintos. You may have caught my post in the wine thread, but for summer I'd look first to the 1998 Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado. Then, the blancos. The 1990 Tondonia Reserva is marvelous. If you're still around, THEN try the tintos.

While you're doing that, read the following by Asimov:

A RosÃ
00a9.png
With a Past
By ERIC ASIMOV
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...e-with-a-past/

"I've become obsessed with the wines of López de Heredia, a Rioja producer that clings serenely to the old ways regardless of current fashion and trends. Just as the best Rioja producers used to do, López de Heredia ages its wines for years, sometimes for more than a decade, before releasing them to the marketplace...

Tradition Ascendant in Rioja By ERIC ASIMOV
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...dant-in-rioja/

"It's almost reflexive when talking about López to describe it as classic or unyielding, because it is quite immune to the trend-following that so often guides decision-making in the world of wine. That is true. But it took me this visit to realize that in its own way, López de Heredia is now a cutting-edge winery.

"It's a case of what goes around comes around, as forward-thinking winemakers have in many ways come around to López de Heredia's ways of doing things. This is particularly true in the vineyard, where its gentle, natural viticultural approach is now the preferred approach my many of the world's great producers. In the winery, it's harder to say, except that Lopez's gentle handling, reliance on natural yeasts and overall artisanal methods are likewise an ideal today...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Liking albarino more than Chablis is sacrilege, but I love it as well. Still, I know so little that it is pretty hit and miss. If you can find this wine, buy it for great summer meals. Otherwise, I will experiment and report back.

the word like perhaps wasn't my wisest choice, perhaps prefer would have been better. When it's hot out and I have a $20 bill, I much prefer Albarino to Chablis. I've had misses as well, but I'd much rather miss at $12 and just chill it before downing than miss with a $35 Chablis.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
vega sicilia (tempranillo) from the ribera del duero region is supposedlly one of the world's great reds....

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you happen across these, I think they are nice representations:

Rioja, Crianza, MarquÃ
00a9.png
s de Tudellia, 2002
Rioja, Reserva, MarquÃ
00a9.png
s de Tudellia, 2000
Rioja, Reserva, Hazana, 2003 Spain
Ribero del Duero, Dominio de Atuata, 2003
Rioja, Gran Reserva, Faustino, 1995
Ribera del Duero, Pingus, 2001

I love Albarino Spirng/Summer. Inexpensive, just never really had anything "bad" and some are really good. grassy green and strong mineral... Rias Baixas is pretty common.

Look to Rueda for their Verdejos- personally the best ones put albarino to shame.

juniper

Reaction score
Top tip: Old-fashioned white Rioja is almost-criminally undervalued.

Try the Marques Murrieta Ygay white at about 10 years old, for example.

The new style white Rioja for early drinking is also pleasant.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming we're not talking about sherry...

I like Ribiera del Duero wines from Valladolid/Burgos/Segovia. Also good are Priorat and PenedÃ
00a9.png
s in Catalonia.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2007 Senorio De Pecina, Rioja, Spain is really nice. 100% Stainless Vino Joven with bright crisp acidity and red fruits. With a slight chill this is my summer picnic red.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
mmmm... rioja......

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Rioja lasts forever. I should like it because I love old wine but I have never been able to warm up to it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Rioja lasts forever. I should like it because I love old wine but I have never been able to warm up to it.

we had spotty luck at that one tasting for Spain. Some just overdo it with the oak and secondary malo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads