• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
Be aware that cordovan can sometimes bleed for a while. Brown apparently less so.

Yeah, thanks, Lear, I've heard about cordo bleeding. If I end up adding a strip at the inside base (to protect the alpaca lining) it would probably have to be corduroy, otherwise I imagine a cordo strip down there would make the bleeding all the more certain.

Speaking of cordovan, I think the bootlegger is a fantastic looking jacket (less versatile than the Highwayman, but nicer, IMO).

From SuFu:

2641gtj.jpg

From (I don't know):

kbwt8i.jpg

2bw7xc.jpg

In fact, mine was able to fully stand up on its own, unsupported! You can have hours of fun in coffee shops, positioning it opposite yourself, then engaging in lengthy conversations with your imaginary (headless) friend.

Yes, but I'm still waiting for someone to gently balance a standing Aero:

214e0z9.jpg

on top of the by now infamous standing Japanese repro jean:

24fcugw.jpg

For a truly surreal sartorial effect.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Perfect example: I think the TOJ calf looks very nice indeed, but I didn't always think so. It was the way certain people were sizing that totally turned me off the whole TOJ DR. Admittedly it was primarily the Aeglus fit that was the problem (no offense to the guy). Just could not see beyond the fit to the jacket itself.

I can see what you mean in some ways. Anyways, it's a little bit better now that the calf is losing stiffness and stretched out a bit, but still gonna take some time. If I made it again I'd probably making it slightly bigger (mostly because I'm slightly bigger), slightly more cropped and slightly longer sleeves. I think if people want results on a jacket looking good right away, they should definitely just get lamb. A lot of people think the lamb moto looks best on me and I took a fit pic of that a day after getting it. Lamb just plain drapes better without having to beat the **** out of it for a year.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform

As a designer and businessman do you ever feel inclined to eliminate certain fit pics of your product to ensure the product is represented 'well' (granted "well" is different to different people), to ensure image control? Or are you ok with just demonstrating as many fits as there are and hoping that people 'get' the underlying quality of the jacket regardless of the specific fit?

well, to be honest, some fits do look great, some look good, very occasionally I think something is passable or just not good pictures, but that comes with the territory of selling a product. On the other hand, everything is order made and the measurements are up to the buyer, and therefore I think people shouldn't feel excluded if someone else's fit pic doesn't appeal to them, since one can choose how they want it to fit, etc.
I will admit though, that sometimes, people come to me with more involved custom jacket ideas, and if they're within my means to do them, I usually do them to keep people happy; however, I feel like a lot of people start modifying parts of the clothes either to a) mimic details other jackets made by other brands they like, b) are just doing it under the premise that they're making a one-off that no one else will get, or c) find something wrong with my design and want to try their hand at it - I don't think any of these ideas are bad in premise, but I usually don't like the results as much as when I make one of my designs as stock.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
I can see what you mean in some ways. Anyways, it's a little bit better now that the calf is losing stiffness and stretched out a bit, but still gonna take some time. If I made it again I'd probably making it slightly bigger (mostly because I'm slightly bigger), slightly more cropped and slightly longer sleeves. I think if people want results on a jacket looking good right away, they should definitely just get lamb. A lot of people think the lamb moto looks best on me and I took a fit pic of that a day after getting it. Lamb just plain drapes better without having to beat the **** out of it for a year.

FWIW, I should add that despite my liking jackets sized more relaxed (judging from other pics of your TOJs, you obviously like snug), it's your pics of the calf DR which best highlight how nice the hide looks (you're standing in some hallway with ample natural lighting), and which made me want something in that very colored hide.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
It was in this sub-forum that I first discovered Aero Leather Clothing. So, here is my second Aero Veste de Rallye. This time in black FQHH. However, my inelegant stature, appalling physique and overall hideousness, prevent me from posting pics of it being worn... sorry:

I recall you had sized down to 46 from your last VdR so I think this one will fit you well based on other fit pics that you've posted on TFL. I particularly like the OD green lining as a welcome departure from the usual linings.

As for me I'm still waiting for my black medium weight HH VdR to come back from Aero. 12 weeks and counting.
confused.gif
I may therefore be biased, but I like the look of a longer leather overcoat. Most styles are 3/4 length (e.g. Highwayman) and for those of us that live in colder climates a longer jacket is very useful.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JD - looks fantastic and fit is great. Any more details on the jacket?

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I recall you had sized down to 46 from your last VdR so I think this one will fit you well based on other fit pics that you've posted on TFL. I particularly like the OD green lining as a welcome departure from the usual linings. As for me I'm still waiting for my black medium weight HH VdR to come back from Aero. 12 weeks and counting.
confused.gif
I may therefore be biased, but I like the look of a longer leather overcoat. Most styles are 3/4 length (e.g. Highwayman) and for those of us that live in colder climates a longer jacket is very useful.

Yes, the pics shown above are of the enormous size 48 jacket I sold. It fitted like a size 50! The whole SW&D sub-forum is not of my age range, but I Googled Aero and discovered the first pic here. I can appreciate how many like the trim fitting leather jackets, but I could never carry it off. Enjoy your skinny jackets... I'm out of here... back to old man land
blush.gif
Lear

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
JD - looks fantastic and fit is great. Any more details on the jacket?

Originally Posted by aj_del
+1, details please
It's Yigal Azrouel from the first FW season. The leather is really nice, and thick; it's a verrrry heavy jacket. It has wool knit cuffs and waistband as visible there, but also on the back of the arms. It's lined obviously, but it also has an button-in insulated vest thing as well for added warmth. The fleece thing on the collar is detachable. I like it fully zipped with the collar up like that. I'll get some extra pics posted later.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The awesomeness of this jacket is a bit overwhelming.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That has to be one of the nicest buys I've seen on here in a while JD. Color is great, fit is near perfect, and I like the styling. (usually picky on leathers) Also, just for the hell of it:
sfshity003.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads