• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Sunnydale

Reaction score
Just started reading: Intellectuals and Society by Thomas Sowell.

Going to read Cracker Culture, Celtic Ways in the Old South by Grady McWhiney next.

WilliamHenry

Reaction score
I am reading the Novel "The Alchemist" Paulo Coelho Dreams, symbols, signs, and adventure follow the reader like echoes of ancient wise voices in "The Alchemist", a novel that combines an atmosphere of Medieval mysticism with the song of the desert. With this symbolic masterpiece Coelho states that we should not avoid our destinies

grouper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WilliamHenry
I am reading the Novel "The Alchemist" Paulo Coelho

Dreams, symbols, signs, and adventure follow the reader like echoes of ancient wise voices in "The Alchemist", a novel that combines an atmosphere of Medieval mysticism with the song of the desert. With this symbolic masterpiece Coelho states that we should not avoid our destinies

Just read Siddhartha instead.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Houellebecq's Plateforme, unfortunately the English translation.

The Possibility of an Island, Platform, The Elementary Particles, Lanzarote, Whatever; I think I have read all Houellebecq's novels. All are similar, and good for making you feel disgusted with yourself and with modern life and society in general. I get similar vibrations from J.G. Ballard, see Cocaine Nights and Super-Cannes. Entertaining and...er...strange.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just recently finished the outstanding trilogy Your Face Tomorrow by Spain's most celebrated modern author, Javier Marias.

Really really recommend (as more suitable starting points for Marias reading) A Heart so White and Tomorrow in the Battle Think on Me. Magical stuff.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alchemist was a wonderful little book. Did not read Siddhartha, but Demian was my favorite book as a teenager.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who didnt like the Alchemist?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the_ascent_of_money-large.jpg

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Slaughterhouse 5. What, kid, what.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Varieties of Scientific Experience by Sagan, and starting Picture of Dorian Gray by Wilde. Have pretty high hopes for Dorian Gray.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I would of read Dorian Gray when I was in my teens. Teaches to appreciate youth a bit more. Great book.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wallcloud
Am I the only person who didnt like the Alchemist?

The Alchemist should be read as a best seller, written to appeal to the many, with self help advise and spirtituality presented through fiction. If you start reading it with the expectation of having come across "great art", you will find it shallow. I think it is OK as entertainment, just.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads