• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el duderino
When sized down, they don't really look that much different than Low Straights other than offering a higher rise which is a little redundant for me.

This is actually what I like about the straight cuts. The higher rise combined with slim-straight legs that result from sizing down fits well with my particular proportions--slim legs and thighs but a bit of a bubble-ass. In most brands, I need to size down to get a good fit on the legs, but shorter back rises inevitably lead to severe button gapping--even when the fit is otherwise appropriate. Higher rises like those on the RRL straights seem to allow me to size down for a fit I like (even if it's not the anti-fit this particular cut is intended for) while easing the stress on the buttonfly.

I did mention in an earlier post that it was initially difficult to button the fly on the sized-down straights, but it's initially difficult for me to button most any cut that's going to fit me, even if it's washed. The difference with the straights was that, as the denim stretched a bit (even as I was in the store), it seemed to be stretching evenly along the entire waist-band / upper block rather than straining at the button points. There was no gapping, nor evidence there would be any gapping--and this never happens for me. My RRL slim fits, which I really like, showed signs of gapping right from the start, and although they've now stretched nicely to accommodate my shape, they still gap in front.

These are issues particular to my build. My larger point is that the straights don't have the huge leg volume I always assumed they had. And the cut as a whole seems to allow for a fairly broad range of good fits--not just anti-fit--depending on your build and how you size them.

Finally, the RRL straight leg seems much easier to acquire at discount on ebay and elsewhere than any of the slimmer cuts. It's really hard to find raw slim cuts in the 30-32 range, but I see straight legs come up quite often.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
^ not from my recent purchases and stuff I have tried on, a 34 actually measures like 37"-38". FWIW ebay sellers have no ******* clue how to measure.. for the most part. 99% of RRL ebayers have the wrong measurements and I have bought several items in which they swore up and down via email that a 34" RRL measured exactly 24" maybe 35" only to have it arrive and actually be like 37". I only wear the slim boots and slim cut so I dont know about new sizing if you are only referring to straight cut.
Thanks for the info. I was referring specifically to a pair of low straights. The seller told me they measured and how they did it. It seemed correct, but I'll have to take it with a grain of salt. I purchased a pair of slim bootcuts and a pair of western pants and inquired about a different pair of low straights, all of which measured how I'd expect: tagged 2" less than measured. Thus this new pair seems off. But I seem to remember someone saying they'd also come across some somewhere that were size differently.

theRRshop

Reaction score
000_0415.jpg

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up the prince St. store yesterday.
Copped a pair of Sky Blue Officer chino shorts with a small anchor above the flap pocket. They also had them available in white.
They also had the Regulation chino pants/shorts in green, red and black.
Saw the green chambray which was ugly as ****.
I was really feeling the seasonal Slim Boots in grey but wasn't about to drop $365

ss10guy3

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time finding a pair of raw straights that are a true 30 waist. I've been to the rrl on Melrose, the polo store in south coast plaza, and american rag. No luck. Everything measured out 32 or above. Anybody have any suggestions for similar looking/fitting denim from another brand?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ LOL. The last time I was at the Ralph Lauren store at South Park in Charlotte, NC (late April) they had a few raw Straights, size 30.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by travisttt
I'm having a really hard time finding a pair of raw straights that are a true 30 waist. I've been to the rrl on Melrose, the polo store in south coast plaza, and american rag. No luck. Everything measured out 32 or above. Anybody have any suggestions for similar looking/fitting denim from another brand?

Considering that you're looking for a not too tapered, straight leg, higher rise jean, yeah, you should be able to find that. Off the top of my head maybe LVC '55 is similar. I don't have one, but I do have a straight RRL and the measurements (post LVC soak) look kind of similar, especially with that higher LVC rise.

limester816

Reaction score
So I tried on the RRL black slim fits in the barney's in boston and they fit great, but I didn't buy-- now I regret it because I'm back home in New Mexico. Is there a place I can buy these online?

scribbles

Reaction score
A green chambray has been mentioned a few times here recently (and yes I know that it has been referred to as "hideous"). Would any of you SF'ers with first hand knowledge be able to provide a picture of it for me?

ImBurningStarIV

Reaction score
Guys I live in the middle of nowhere, and would like to get some info on the gray Slim Boots, a picture would be nice, as would a location on where to get them. Does Barneys have them?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
There is a RRL sale on gilt on Friday. Can anyone comment on the fit of their shirts?

fall stuff i was a M. spring stuff's a bit slimmer and now i'm an L. reference: still a M in j.crew.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Gilt sale is going to be accessories only, just like every RRL sale they've had up 'til now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads