• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
And in the end all almost all clothes keep you warm and covered (- eric glennie).

Coming from a watchmakers apprentice soon to be.

This isn't really the same thing though. Clothes vary wildly in their appearance, fit, etc. The most expensive part of watches -- the movement -- is barely visible or often completely invisible. So why pay more for such a complicated movement that does not really perform any differently than a simpler one?

I understand paying more for a watch for aesthetic or "quality" (won't ******* break) reasons. But I never understood what amounts to timekeeping masturbation.

MortyGras

Reaction score
Then again, you don't really understand the love of selvedge denim and so forth.

Sure, it's flyfucking (is that expression valid in english?), but i figure it's like painting the backside of a cabinet that's placed against a wall.
No one can see it, but you know it's done. The love of perfection, right?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
Then again, you don't really understand the love of selvedge denim and so forth.

Not necessarily the same thing. I can understand it, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. But I can see that the fades are cool, that those details have a real aesthetic value.

MortyGras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Not necessarily the same thing. I can understand it, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. But I can see that the fades are cool, that those details have a real aesthetic value.

Referring to the selvedge alone it is the same. Non - selvedge denim can produce just as pretty fades.
Okay, you have to open the watch to see the, but if i start showing of the details of my blood, sweat and tear, hand-dyed jeans, then i'd basicly be in ******* range too.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
lol i for real don't get it though, in the end they tell time, how ******* complicated do you need the method of performing this to be?
Same fascination as many things here: quality: the idea if quality is very appealing even though, practically speaking, quality doesn't mean much in watches and even in clothes. tradition prestige/branding: Just like people feel proud of their luxury clothing consumption cause its cool and Rick Owens not ****** and Gucci some feel all validated cause its gorgeous and Vacheron-Constantin not some gaudy Rolex $$$ design tech-geek interest in complex mechanisms note: I find most watch enthusiasts to have mediocre to horrible taste. I own two Swiss watches and that's enough for me.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vacheron-Constantin are't asthetically nicer than Rolex- they're just 10x as expensive. I'd take a vintage Daytona over a new V-C any day of the week.

Fuuma, what watches do you own?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't really the same thing though. Clothes vary wildly in their appearance, fit, etc. The most expensive part of watches -- the movement -- is barely visible or often completely invisible. So why pay more for such a complicated movement that does not really perform any differently than a simpler one?

I understand paying more for a watch for aesthetic or "quality" (won't ******* break) reasons. But I never understood what amounts to timekeeping masturbation.

Careful where you tread, better to be thought a fool and all that.

Fit and finish of a watch also play a significant part in the watch's price, quartz models of expensive watches exist and for the most part they aren't much cheaper than their mechanical counterparts. The fit and finish is discernable by how close you can get to the watch before you start seeing crafting imperfections such as unintentional rounded edges and the quality of the materials used (I'm not sure on the specifics on the materials but there are differences in appearance not including the high level of polish expensive watches have, I know the milling technique is one of them).

I would argue that the fit and finish has more to do with the quality of the watch than the durability and in the same respects relate it to clothing, in that you don't just say an article of clothing is good quality because of its ability to withstand X amount of machine cycles.

As for the movement, many high end watches feature glass back cases for you to oggle at the magnificent work of the swiss (predominantly, don't shoot me). However as you point out some don't, and this is where it is indeed up to your imagination to assume what is going on within. But the fact that you can't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, and the accuracy of the watch will speak for itself, in the same way that a ferrari doesn't need to lift its hood to show what its packing.

It's a very particular niche and there is a real beauty to man being able to create these seemingly perfect little capsules that can regulate time with such precision through pure mechanics. Every aspect about these watches has been painstakingly thought of and your understanding and involvement in the hobby is really only limited by your will and your wallet. I only know a fraction of what there is to know about the movements, brands and stories behind them, but there was a reason looked into it and a reason I kept looking.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^Hahaha.

Uncontrol I have a similar ingrained knee-jerk "Wtf?" reaction to watch pricing just because it strikes me as a very utilitarian item that should have become as worthless as the pager over time, given that EVERYTHING has a clock in it now. Don't know why it's watches that do it and not jeans, but I just can't get excited about them. Really, though, Fuuma is right. I think you just need to look at it not as a means of keeping time, but as a piece of jewelry / an accessory that other people like more than you do, which shouldn't be hard given your divergent tastes. It's pretty extravagant to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on a croc bag, you could just as easily carry things in a backpack, but I know you wish you had some of the stuff Rach posts in the manbag thread. That's what I chalk it up to, anyway, that and a status symbol, which applies to many things.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh no, don't call it a piece of jewellery unless you want to be mauled.
laugh.gif

MortyGras

Reaction score
I feel like Xeno has gone into his stage 3 evolution lately.

First he was making annoying wall of texts that sounded like philosophical statements coming out of a sacked designers pocket.

Then he went into a cocoon period with short and sometimes even amusing posts.

Now he seems to have blossomed into a more consistant version of his old him that follows a certain pattern.

1 wall of text + 3 defensive posts.

Does XenoX101 have a stage 4 evolution?

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Hence the black bars over my eyes in all my fit pics. That should be good enough to stop randoms from recognizing me on the street. It happened from another board back in the day where I posted unaltered pictures of myself. One time of that was enough for me.

I've been recognised by London MC lurkers and members who don't post faces and outfits. Sometimes, we've ended up drinking together

Similarly, in February, MC member Toiletduck and I, within 30 seconds of bidding yfyf farewell, walked past a fellow who interrupted his phone call to tell me he enjoys my blogcolumn

None of these encounters have been awkward, however; they'd be even more natural if London had an active SF community, much like San Francisco does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads