• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitsupply - cheap bespoke

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bernie232
I am permanently perplexed how even with all the forums, media and shops we visit, so many men do not understand the difference between MTM and Bespoke.....and cannot buy a suit without their girlfriend, wife or mother. Why do men think that women understand more than trained and experienced tailor?

My MTM Suit Supply suits are stunning. My requirements for a refined and high quality suit, with attention to detail are second to none. My employers implore me to seek out a company that can provide me with suits like these. Until Suit Supply arrived there was nobody. Forget Roderick Charles, Aquascutum,Gieves, Mark Marengo etc.

What do you expect from £400? We are not in Hong Kong or Thailand. So many Savile Row stores offer the same MTM (not bespoke) cloth at 30% higher in price, and you don't even get a full canvas construction.

Don't let the others rip you off. Don't be sucked in by labels, and marketing.

Be strong..make you're own decision and always better to let your experienced tailor guide you. You wouldn't let your girlfriend/wife/mother make your decisions at work would you?

If the answer to this question is yes, then Reiss, Ted Baker and Massimo Dutti are not far away. You can let her choose your satuday night outfit, and your Monday-Friday outfit. I am sure she wouldn't object to you helping out with her wedding dress.

worship.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty basic.

there is no such thing as 'bespoke' for these numbers. No one is making huge profit margins that can be cut so the process of making up the garment is cut instead. hence low prices and quality to match.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince
I find the sizing at Suitsupply very strange. The arms are always way to short when the rest of the jacket fits nice. That's why their sales personel always looks goofy, lol. Pretty happy with the suits I have though, nice to get started for a reasonable price.

Its the Dutch style. Walk into Oger and its short sleeves, short trousers, tapered leg, very supressed waist.

K

DutchDaedalus

Reaction score
They call that cut: 'cut to the bone'

And beware: Suitsupply is really just a brand of suits for people who don't like to spend much money on suits and have to wear them to work. It is very much a brand for people starting out in the business world and for college students who need a suit. The quality is ok considering the price tag, and yes, the marketing formula is very good and the owner and founder Fokke de Jong will become very rich with his business venture.

I think Suitsupply is not something SF.net should focus on. Just save more money and buy a decent Italian RTW suit and have it altered. Much better.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DutchDaedalus
They call that cut: 'cut to the bone'

And beware: Suitsupply is really just a brand of suits for people who don't like to spend much money on suits and have to wear them to work. It is very much a brand for people starting out in the business world and for college students who need a suit. The quality is ok considering the price tag, and yes, the marketing formula is very good and the owner and founder Fokke de Jong will become very rich with his business venture.

I think Suitsupply is not something SF.net should focus on. Just have more money and buy a decent Italian RTW suit and have it altered. Much better.

That's good advice for anyone to live by.

020-banker

Reaction score
And beware: Suitsupply is really just a brand of suits for people who don't like to spend much money on suits and have to wear them to work ... The quality is ok considering the price tag, and yes, the marketing formula is very good and the owner and founder Fokke de Jong will become very rich with his business venture.

Generally agree, but I'm "that guy" and it's worked out OK so far.

Review from here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=179169

Fit:
- I am 5'10'' 160lbs and usually take a 38R. The suit i got is a 36R but fits properly.
- Fits well through the body after it was brought in at the sides slightly.
- Working buttonholes limit large sleeve alterations. Sleeves could be a touch longer, but I'm not sure if the extra 1/4th inch is worth GBP12 to fix. I'm OK to show a touch more linen than standard.
- Sleeves themselves are acceptably slim with high-ish armholes for a RTW suit
- General cut is slim yet conservative. The jacket has a high notch, but the lapels that are reasonably sized (not skinny Don Draper style) and the jacket itself is reasonably long (not short like TAT or Thom Browne).
- The camera angle makes the button stance look higher than it really is in real life.
- Trousers are well cut but hemmed a touch long for my taste. I may revisit the store to have the hem taken up 1/4 inch. Leg opening measures 8.25 inches at the ankle. Slim, not severe.
- Important - different jackets seemed to have slightly different cuts - I tried 2 more jackets on at the store, one of which had a higher buttoning point, one lower. I'm not sure how to differentiate the cuts, save asking a salesperson or trying it on.

Finish:
- Pick stitching everywhere - it's a bit much.
- Lapel roll is nice with "life" rather than pressed flat and "lifeless".
- Shoulders are not heavily padded, and the jacket is only lightly structured (but fully lined). It feels light in a good way.
- I hope the silk/wool blend lasts longer than I fear it will! Blends like this are not known to handle extreme wear & tear. Suit Supply has plenty of 100% wool and wool/mohair blends that should wear better.

All in all, not bad for GBP300.
Click to make the pics bigger:

flatfront

Reaction score
I am a happy Suitsupply customer. Their suits are perfect for my work wardrobe. Don't expect anything amazing at the price but they are reasonably well made and the cuts are not too bad at all. Just need a little tweaking which can all be done in house for little extra cost.

I have always found the staff helpful and customer service good. Some are better than others at understanding fit etc. The Vigo St store is a lot better in this regard to the one in Westfield in this regard.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And beware: Suitsupply is really just a brand of suits for people who don't like to spend much money on suits and have to wear them to work....
ummm... this is 99% of SF'ers.
facepalm.gif
I think Suitsupply is not something SF.net should focus on. Just save more money and buy a decent Italian RTW suit and have it altered. Much better.
Why? I've have Zegna, Isaia, and bespoke suits, but I think Suit Supply is just flat-out better VFM. There's very little added benefit in paying an extra 1000 GBP for a suit. You'll get full canvas instead of half canvas, real horn buttons, and maybe some handwork. If you go bespoke or MTM, you might get a marginally improved fit, but nothing earth-shattering.
confused.gif
I'd rather buy 2 suit supply suits, some shirts some ties and some shoes then just one Zegna suit.
smile.gif

DutchDaedalus

Reaction score
^All true, but I don't want to look like a corporate slave in a trim yet mediocre suit. It has absolutely no sex appeal in my (spoiled) view. In the Netherlands SuitSupply is all over the place, all the young professionals are wearing it. I know it sounds snobbish, but I don't want to that sheep.
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I'd rather buy 2 suit supply suits, some shirts some ties and some shoes then just one Zegna suit.
smile.gif

Focus on that one Zegna suit, when you move up in the world, you will want to get rid of the SuSu suits, but you are gonna hold on to the Zegna.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 020-banker
Generally agree, but I'm "that guy" and it's worked out OK so far.

Review from here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=179169

Click to make the pics bigger:

thats actualy not bad for $400. There are obviously issues but for $400 you look good. I wouldn't sell that as bespoke though.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
thats actualy not bad for $400. There are obviously issues but for $400 you look good. I wouldn't sell that as bespoke though.
The suit reviewed in that thread is RTW, not their MTM product.

I don't think Suitsupply has ever marketed its products as bespoke. Although, as a Dutch company, there might have been some dodgy translation of the word 'maatwerk' somewhere down the line - it can be taken as meaning either MTM or bespoke.

020-banker

Reaction score
The suit I posted above is RTW and cost GBP300.

To make it easier to search, I've cross posted this another post. All MTM:

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Here you go:

DSC01082.jpg
DSC01083.jpg

DSC01128.jpg
DSC01127.jpg

DSC01196.jpg
DSC01198.jpg

DSC01179.jpg
DSC01180.jpg

All MTM, the last one being quarter-lined with a natural shoulder (the others have more structure).

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
you should like their new "handmade" (yes that is how they advertise it) 'jort kelder' suit with (gasp) free braces and (oohhh) extra pockets all for the price of €399

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
^
you should like their new "handmade" (yes that is how they advertise it) 'jort kelder' suit with (gasp) free braces and (oohhh) extra pockets all for the price of €399

With built-in money belt...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads