• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
The whole "going in for one thing and coming out with another" is a preal problem. Fortunately my tastes are so esoteric that it doesn't hapen often, but when it does..... 1200 round without a cleaning shouldn't even be a question. H&K's will go for 10k, fairly easily. And if you are shooting something C3, you can burn 1-5k rounds in an afternoon. ~ H

I guess I am just pretty OCD about keeping my firearms clean, I will usually give them a decent cleaning after every trip to the range, even though I will only fire 50 or 60 rounds through each..
laugh.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I guess I am just pretty OCD about keeping my firearms clean, I will usually give them a decent cleaning after every trip to the range, even though I will only fire 50 or 60 rounds through each..
laugh.gif

A lot of authorities actually find that to be detrimental, as bore cleaning can wear a bore more than shooting -- I know that is strange, but I can believe it in some scenarios. Perhaps Jan can chime in. I usually clean collector pieces after shooting, especially if they are blued, but shooter guns in stainless/polymer get cleaned much more rarely. I do make an exception for revolvers, and will surface clean the externals near where the topstrap would get jetted, as well as the cylinder generally after each trip -- had too much buildup on my SW629 once. ~ H

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1200 rounds with one cleaning? Yikes, hope you are at least keeping the bore clean.. Looking forward to shooting this one next weekend, I only hope something else doesn't catch my eye while I am there..

Of all the things you can do with a gun, cleaning the bore might be the most useless. Seriously. Clean it to your heart's content. Now go put one round downrange. Look down the bore. Filthy.

No ill can come of leaving the bore dirty with modern, non-corrosive ammo - whereas improper cleaning could possibly damage the rifling, chamber or crown.

For modern plastic guns (and some metal - 1911s excepted, for the most part), the correct cleaning procedure is 'leave them the hell alone.'

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
meh, I hear you, and cleaning after every trip to the range is probably unnecessary, but to me, it's part of the experience..

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
got a yugoslavian sks a few years back cleaned most of the packing oil off of it, never shot it and it has been sitting in the attic ever since... need to get rid of it impulsive 18 year old birthday purchase....if only I could trade it for a pair of C&J Lowndes
frown.gif

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meh, I hear you, and cleaning after every trip to the range is probably unnecessary, but to me, it's part of the experience..
Habits are hard to break. My dad is that way - it's the way people learned in the days of blued guns and that's been passed down (except to me, because I'm a stubborn bastard). I have to be careful with my few blued guns - remembering to worry about humidity and wiping them down and such.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
1200 round without a cleaning shouldn't even be a question. H&K's will go for 10k, fairly easily. And if you are shooting something C3, you can burn 1-5k rounds in an afternoon.

~ H

+1

The majority of most decent modern-day Polymer guns are essentially made to be put through these tasks. I would be somewhat worried if I purchased a LEO/military geared weapon, that was unable to effectively cycle rounds due to a little gun powder.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Habits are hard to break. My dad is that way - it's the way people learned in the days of blued guns and that's been passed down (except to me, because I'm a stubborn bastard). I have to be car.

+ 1. We were taught 'shoot once, clean three times'. And that had better be a good clean to pass the RSM's inspection or you'd be cleaning the dunnies (latrines) for a week. I still find the idea of a dirty firearm anathema.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is just one reason I am considering carrying a weapon in certain limited circumstances..
(Not so...) Funny thing: about 2-3 weeks before you posted this, a guy was attacked by an unleashed dog in my vicinity while jogging in the afternoon. This was in a decent suburban area off a major highway. The dog was not a big dog; unluckily, the man was smaller and older. Let's not bring up the time my parents came to face to face (~15 feet) from a wildcat (very decent size) while taking a simple car ride through the 'country'... (happened last year)

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
(Not so...) Funny thing: about 2-3 weeks before you posted this, a guy was attacked by an unleashed dog in my vicinity while jogging in the afternoon. This was in a decent suburban area off a major highway. The dog was not a big dog; unluckily, the man was smaller and older.

Let's not bring up the time my parents came to face to face (~15 feet) from a wildcat (very decent size) while taking a simple car ride through the 'country'... (happened last year)

Agreed, wild dogs must be more common than I thought. I live out in the boonies but I love geocaching, i've had to drop a wild coyote twice now and my brother, a cop in northern indiana, had to do the same just the other day. We both daily carry (him for his job, and me b/c of the civilian sheep dog theory) Glock 19s. 1 shot center mass.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Agreed, wild dogs must be more common than I thought. I live out in the boonies but I love geocaching, i've had to drop a wild coyote twice now and my brother, a cop in northern indiana, had to do the same just the other day. We both daily carry (him for his job, and me b/c of the civilian sheep dog theory) Glock 19s. 1 shot center mass.

Did the coyote drop with one shot? What was the ammo and distance and in what state?

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
Did the coyote drop with one shot? What was the ammo and distance and in what state?

Yes. Glock 19's are 9mm, Hydra-Shok 147gr

Siggy

Reaction score
^ok, I never had to use my G19 on any critters yet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Yes. Glock 19's are 9mm, Hydra-Shok 147gr

that had to have been a mess. the coyotes I have seen aren't all that big

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
+ 1. We were taught 'shoot once, clean three times'. And that had better be a good clean to pass the RSM's inspection or you'd be cleaning the dunnies (latrines) for a week. I still find the idea of a dirty firearm anathema.

I broke that habit once I left the Corps and the M-16(which needed a good cleaning). These days, my guns get a wipe down and are put away to be enjoyed another day.

I'm more interested in wiping off body salts, and checking for lent or foreign objects in unsuspecting crevices.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads