• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a 17 year old identify the staples every wardrobe should have

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only a year older than you, OP, but I've been trying to make a few changes to my wardrobe. So far, here's what I have and recommend:

- Button-downs / flannels / oxfords
- Clarks Desert Boots (these are pretty much a required)
- A solid pair of denim (don't go cheap on a pair that can last you years)
- Some tees
- 1 or 2 pairs of nice, clean sneakers

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
That's a completely different sartorial circumstance. Do you wear tailored suits to class?

I wore a tie to public school. I didn't really fit in back then.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, these SW&D people are nasty. Come over to Mens Clothing, OP, we'll take care of you. You need:

1 navy suit, 1 charcoal suit, 1 grey glenplaid suit, 1 mid-grey suit
5 english made shoes in brown
20 pocket squares
20 ties

There! done.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Man, these SW&D people are nasty. Come over to Mens Clothing, OP, we'll take care of you. You need:

1 navy suit, 1 charcoal suit, 1 grey glenplaid suit, 1 mid-grey suit
5 english made shoes in brown
20 pocket squares
20 ties

There! done.

ballers wear ties and suits with no shirts

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I'd be pissed if some dude showed up at my wedding without a suit. Granted, I don't really want to get married but hypothetically speaking it's incredibly rude. Juveniles have more leeway; I'm not going to expect a suited up 13 year old. But once you're an adult, you're a dick if you don't.
It's rude to you, perhaps. I find it rude that, if you were my friend, you'd *require* me to wear a suit. In the reverse situation, I'd be happy that you just show up and celebrate with us. I'm going to a wedding this weekend. Khakis, button-down oxford, tie, dr. martens (spit shined).

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
- A solid pair of denim (don't go cheap on a pair that can last you years)

You're going to be disappointed, since even the nicer Japanese denim will break down after a few years.

Jeans are not an "investment piece" (ugh I hate that cliche)--you're basically paying for fit, color, and quality. Note that I didn't include durability.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
lol are you ten years old?

Not even close. Suits are anachronistic throwbacks that should be relegated to the garbage pile. Like marriage.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
It's rude to you, perhaps. I find it rude that, if you were my friend, you'd *require* me to wear a suit. In the reverse situation, I'd be happy that you just show up and celebrate with us.

I'm going to a wedding this weekend. Khakis, button-down oxford, tie, dr. martens (spit shined).

crazy.gif

Not even close. Suits are anachronistic throwbacks that should be relegated to the garbage pile. Like marriage.

How edgy and counterculture of you.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But that isn't what matters at all. In this situation, you aren't wearing a suit because you like it; you're wearing a suit because it's expected of you. Would you show up to a black-tie fundraiser in a tuxedo t-shirt? Would you wear your Docs to go meet English royalty? This may be difficult for you to understand, but a wedding is not about you. I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't go to a funeral and talk about how the pastor is full of **** and how the deceased is just going to rot in the ground.

Also, suits aren't anachronistic throwbacks. They're a completely serviceable form of everyday wear. If you were Milanese, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
But that isn't what matters at all. In this situation, you aren't wearing a suit because you like it; you're wearing a suit because it's expected of you.
Why? It's a social anachronism. I have absolutely zero interest doing "what's expected of me" unless I'm the one doing the expecting.

Would you show up to a black-tie fundraiser in a tuxedo t-shirt?
Nah, that's tacky. I'd skip the black-tie fundraiser completely and go get hammered at a bar.

Would you wear your Docs to go meet English royalty?
Why not? I have no special feelings for people that won out in the birth lottery. I will accord them the same courtesy I give everyone. My time.

This may be difficult for you to understand, but a wedding is not about you.
And it might be difficult for you to understand: Clothes do not make the man.

I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't go to a funeral and talk about how the pastor is full of **** and how the deceased is just going to rot in the ground.
I'm an atheist, as well, but I'm not wearing a suit to a funeral, either. I'm not engaging in a debate with the pastor, I'm just not going to wear a suit.

Also, suits aren't anachronistic throwbacks. They're a completely serviceable form of everyday wear. If you were Milanese, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
So were frilly neck pieces and powdered wigs at one point in time. Hell, the 3 piece suit seems to have gone by the way-side, as well. Good riddance.

How edgy and counterculture of you.
You got it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads