• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinasity

Reaction score
Found these nice Lloyd & Haig custom built cap toes, gave them to my brother as a nice pair of starter shoes. Hopefully these can replace his black aldos
confused.gif
f3625bdf.jpg
91111422.jpg

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Thanks. I thought my other Behars were good finds until I put them up against that one. You're right: the quality is night and day. Surprisingly, I've also recently found some private label Nordstroms that have been phenomenal.

One of the RLPL's turned out to have arms that were too short. Its odd because I thought the haul all came from same dude. Would it be a crime to have a tailor make it a s/s shirt? It's a light tan HB straight collar, XL, with approx. 33" sleeves if someone wants to trade or buy.

I've noticed the same. I thought maybe I was just crazy, but it's nice to have some confirmation. I have an Ike for NM that compares very favorably to some of my Borrelli shirts.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
Found these nice Lloyd & Haig custom built cap toes, gave them to my brother as a nice pair of starter shoes. Hopefully these can replace his black aldos
confused.gif

f3625bdf.jpg

91111422.jpg

Nice shoes. I saw a pair of L&H once at a thrift but they had a hole through the sole, and the lining inside looked moldy. Other than that they looked like quality shoes.

PoliticalGuy

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while after a trip a few months ago for furniture that found a great steamer trunk and a 3' x 4' beveled glass gold leaf framed mirror (thing weighs close to 100lbs) for $90. I was only there for that until my girlfriend turned up 8 pairs of Ferragamo heels in mint condition in her size for $20 a pair. That made me look in clothes where I found an almost mint Christian Dior trench with zip out wool liner for $20. Replaced basically the same coat I already had, but fit better and was in much better condition. Since then I've started going weekly without great results, but this week turned up a Brooks Brothers leather travel tie case for $5, a pair of Johnston & Murphy Aristicraft cordovan wingtips 8/10 for $12 and a pair of Alden split toe bluchers in black 7/10 for $12, and a J. Press buttondown for $4. Also, I've bought probably 20 ties in various brands for $2.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoliticalGuy
I've been lurking for a while after a trip a few months ago for furniture that found a great steamer trunk and a 3' x 4' beveled glass gold leaf framed mirror (thing weighs close to 100lbs) for $90. I was only there for that until my girlfriend turned up 8 pairs of Ferragamo heels in mint condition in her size for $20 a pair. That made me look in clothes...

That's a great way to get started. It's also nice that your girlfriend likes to thrift too: there's plenty of us on here who's lives would be a lot easier if our wives/partners also enjoyed our hobby.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
$3 at a local Salvation Army (plus another $6 to get some stains removed professionally) Looks stunning in person. It's wool.
2lub0c0.jpg

Good find? Yay or nay?

EBTX66

Reaction score
Good find? Yay or nay?

Most will probably say it depends on the brand. Personally, if you like it then I think it's a good find. I actually am always on the lookout for ties with interesting texture and I think your's qualifies. You need to thrift yourself a nice vintage BB 3/2 sack suit to wear it with.
smile.gif

JG000

Reaction score
Most will probably say it depends on the brand. Personally, if you like it then I think it's a good find.

Agreed. Funny how brand alone will turn a tie from gorgeous to hideous.

vincerich

Reaction score
Agreed. Funny how brand alone will turn a tie from gorgeous to hideous.

I agree. A lot of people are idiots in that way. I read a thread earlier that asked users to rate the fit and style of a suit. Rather than commenting on the identified issues, one said idiot replied with, "Brand?" and left it at that.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's plenty of us on here who's lives would be a lot easier if our wives/partners also enjoyed our hobby.
Seconded. My fiance likes to spend as much time with me as possible, so she tags along on my daily stops sometimes. It's fine when we get to a store - most of the time she'll sit out and the car and read. When I've been in a store for more than 10 minutes though, it's ridiculous! I get a phone call every 5 minutes ("You done yet? You done yet? Hurrrry uuuup!"). If I don't answer she will come in, find me and repeat the said dialogue.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back today....see if there was anything left.....
Only thing worth a damn was a pair of Purple Label, tan worsted wool pants.
A lot of Faconnable pants, but not the Incotex variety.

lynch_king

Reaction score
found a navy surplus pea coat type thing.

i didn't get it. i was wondering if its a good thing to wear?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Seconded. My fiance likes to spend as much time with me as possible, so she tags along on my daily stops sometimes. It's fine when we get to a store - most of the time she'll sit out and the car and read. When I've been in a store for more than 10 minutes though, it's ridiculous! I get a phone call every 5 minutes ("You done yet? You done yet? Hurrrry uuuup!"). If I don't answer she will come in, find me and repeat the said dialogue.

How long does it take you to go through a store???
I can go through a Salvation Army in 10 minutes if I skip the pants, polos, t-shirts, and athletic wear.

BBC

Reaction score
Just hit one thrift today and came out with a pair of Luciano Barbara wool trousers, but they're pleated so headed for eBay in the future.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
found a navy surplus pea coat type thing.

i didn't get it. i was wondering if its a good thing to wear?

There were all the rage a year or two ago, not really 'in' right now but still one of those classic items that's always stylish if not strictly fashionable. And they're nice and practical too- warm and do a great job with wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads