• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral Attire

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im attending a funeral tomarrow for a coworker that I knew quite well, and I dont own a black suit. The darkest, most formal thing I have is a dark navy sports jacket that has faint white pinstipes. I dont own a white dress shirt, but I do have a very light silvery grey brioni one, which I was planning to wear with a black tie, black pants and black dress shoes.

Ive heard mixed comments about it and ive never been to a funeral before so i dont know what to expect. Does anyone think that this is inappropriate any way?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
charcoal or navy suit. no excuses.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you not have a white dress shirt?

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Hit up the closest Marshalls, TJMaxx or store that sells white dress shirts early tomorrow and make it a point to dress appropriately. If all you have is the navy sportscoat, it'll have to do.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont see how this crap matters, what you have is fine, just fine. Nobody is going to look at you and say, my god, his shirt isnt while (although the 'how can you not have a white shirt' comment above is true).

As long as you are within the boundaries of appropriate you are fine. Dont waste energy going after the extra 10% if the occasion has nothing to do with you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Come on..no white shirt??? It really does not matter what you wear.....but get a white shirt!

phillyesq

Reaction score
If you have (or can acquire) a white shirt, you should wear one, but it isn't the end of the world. Wear a jacket and tie. Make the best out of what you have. It is more important that you convey your respect than that you look good. A dark suit, white shirt, and appropriate tie is ideal, but if you don't have that, try to come as close as you can with what you have.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I dont see how this crap matters, what you have is fine, just fine. Nobody is going to look at you and say, my god, his shirt isnt while
Did you read the part about the silver shirt?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Black suit, black captoes, white shirt, black tie, no excuses. You'll never hear me say that about anything else.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Black suit, black captoes, white shirt, black tie, no excuses. You'll never hear me say that about anything else.

Not necessary.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq
If you have (or can acquire) a white shirt, you should wear one, but it isn't the end of the world. Wear a jacket and tie. Make the best out of what you have. It is more important that you convey your respect than that you look good. A dark suit, white shirt, and appropriate tie is ideal, but if you don't have that, try to come as close as you can with what you have.
This. I've seen much worse at funerals.

bluesdance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Word to the wise: If you're going to the grave side... and there has been rain within 24 hours... you might want to wear boots... or at least your older, more beat up black dress shoes.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Not necessary.

Necessary for me and yes, I am well aware that funeral directors moved on to dark greys and other dark but less menacing colours so as to be less depressing but still convey a sense of restraint. You won't be invited to my funeral I guess...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads