• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. This category should be kept to only a few items)
- Kiton
- Oxxford
-Thom Browne
- Brioni
- Cesare Attolini Napoli (after seen and tried it for the first time, indeed one of the best)
- Luigi Borrelli
- RLPL (not suit maker, a designer brand)
- Luciano Barbera Collezioni Sartoriale
- St Andrew
- Sartoria Partenopea
- Isaia
- D'Avenza
- Sartoria Castangia

Very Good[****] (i.e. Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category).
- Belvest
--Lanvin
-Jil Sander tailor made
- Corneliani Linea Sartoria
- Sartoria Attolini Napoli
- Canali Milano
- (most of Raffaelle Caruso) eg. Sartoria Parma / RL Black Label / RL Signature
- Pal Zileri Sartoriale (I think there is another line higher than Sartoriale, the custom made one, IIRC "Abito Privato", excellent quality)
- Ravazzolo
- Zegna Couture
- Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
- Borrelli Luxury Vintage

Good[***] (i.e. Quality is superior to most suits).
- Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
- Hickey Freeman Mainline
- Corneliani
- Canali
- K by Canali
- Ermenegildo Zegna
- Samuelsohn
- Paul Smith Mainline (not a suit maker, designer brand - fully canvassed)
- Faconnable Tailleur (also designer brand)
- Cantarelli Tailor
- Etro / Boglioli
- Giorgio Armani (black label)

Satisfactory [**] (i.e. The "Average" Brands. Quality is acceptable).
- Cantarelli
- Brooks Brothers 1818 (half canvassed)
- Paul Smith London (not a suit maker, designer brand - half canvassed)
- H. Freemann
- Benjamin Sartorial
- Hickey Freeman LTD (Half Canvas)
- hickey
- Hackett
- J Crew
- Z-Zegna

Mediocre[*] (Suits that are mediocre)
- Hugo Boss
- Marco Valentino (half canvas) - surprising but I found the VFM is great
- Joseph Abboud
- J. Press
- H&M

I'm surprised to see J Crew get this high on your list after the review titled "My review of J Crew suits (they suck)" haha

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
I'm surprised to see J Crew get this high on your list after the review titled "My review of J Crew suits (they suck)" haha

J Crew shouldn't be on the list at all, nor should H&M -- about two thirds of the way through the thread, everything below the level of mediocre was deleted, which is where these items belong.

Really would be better if this thread just quietly died, though.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland
J Crew shouldn't be on the list at all, nor should H&M -- about two thirds of the way through the thread, everything below the level of mediocre was deleted, which is where these items belong.

I own a J. Crew suit and sports coat, both use Loro Piana cloth. Are they as well made as my Chester Barrie, Zegna Napoli Couture, Corneliani, etc... garments? No. But on sale they make an excellent beater suit.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland

+1. This is a quality ranking, not a value ranking. If it were the latter, we'd need to add Target's Merona line in there because at $69 for a full suit on sale, how could you go wrong?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a BAD section.

Zara

Dior Homme

Armani ( other than black label )

D & G

Gucci

Prada

And most of the designer brands

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
I would like to see a BAD section.

Zara

Dior Homme

Armani ( other than black label )

D & G

Gucci

And most of the designer brands

Yeah, because these are suits that I am constantly seeing that look nice, but are of dubious quality and I'd like to see if for $500, am I getting my money's worth?

Why do you guys want this thread to die??
frown.gif

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearsfan172
Yeah where would we place a brand like Prada on this list?

this "all designer suits suck" approach is simplistic and ill-advised.

many designers outsource their suit manufacture to suit-makers that are fairly high up on the list.

i have a prada suit that is superbly constructed.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
this "all designer suits suck" approach is simplistic and ill-advised. many designers outsource their suit manufacture to suit-makers that are fairly high up on the list. i have a prada suit that is superbly constructed.
That is why I think you see Paul Smith, RL, Zegna, and Etro up there. I think with Prada you will find significantly less consistency. If you don't have an eye for the quality or can't identify the maker using tags, YMMV where as RL and PS tend to be much more consistent using the same makers over and over with similar standards.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Yeah I've definately noticed that about Prada's suits, their consistancy is very inconsistant. (HA). What do you mean about identifying label tags to see who actually made it? Could you expand on that?

And regardless of quality... I've found that the fit of most "designer" brands, tends to be quite superb. Particularly for a slimmer guy

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with the Zegna hate, even at the Couture XXX level?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearsfan172
Yeah I've definately noticed that about Prada's suits, their consistancy is very inconsistant. (HA). What do you mean about identifying label tags to see who actually made it? Could you expand on that? And regardless of quality... I've found that the fit of most "designer" brands, tends to be quite superb. Particularly for a slimmer guy
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=24109

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
this "all designer suits suck" approach is simplistic and ill-advised.

many designers outsource their suit manufacture to suit-makers that are fairly high up on the list.

i have a prada suit that is superbly constructed.

+1 In addition to what's said, I wouldn't write the "designer brands" off. I've just reminded myself that some of the Prada suits and SC's have been made by Belvest. I cannot comment whether this is still the case. However, owing a few Belvest items, I'm very pleased with the construction and quality and I would be very surprised if a Prada branded Belvest would be that different the mainline Belvest.

Clint

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
What's with the Zegna hate, even at the Couture XXX level?

I don't know why there isn't much love for Zegna (I'm sure that there are many reasons), but to my mind, they make a good SC/suit, especially if you can get them on discount and in one of their better fabrics.

So, I, at least, will always have a soft spot for Zegna.

Clint

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads