• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Madras Shirt thread

slappy

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten their J.Crew madras shirts shortened? This is the kind of shirt I could see wearing untucked (gasp). It's a nice casual shirt and I see no reason for it to be tucked in. As Im short in style terms (5 10), the shirt is pretty long on me untucked. Any thoughts on shortening them?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't shorten any shirt, the only problem would be the bottom button.

scribbles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GinoAGC
Rugby's madras shirts are made with the real deal fabrics that still bleed and the fit of the shirt is perfect.

http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?...180&cp=3138868

Rugby just got a few new madras shirts that are really nice. I really wish I didn't buy a shirt just like this from J. Crew in the past 2 weeks...
picture1ic.png

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Fabric looks good, but not a big fan of the Rugby fit.

I actually picked up some very good full sleeve (BD collar) madras shirts from BB factory outlet during the F&F sale. The shirts came down to ~$32 each I think. They fit just like BB slim fit and I really like them.

scribbles

Reaction score
Good looking out. I just checked the BB website and they actually have slim fit madras shirts 2 for $89, and with a $10 off coupon the price is pretty attractive.

rustyshack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scribbles
Good looking out. I just checked the BB website and they actually have slim fit madras shirts 2 for $89, and with a $10 off coupon the price is pretty attractive.

mm been wanting to pick up some bb madras, thanks for the heads up

arcturuz

Reaction score
What'd you guys think about the A.P.C. Madras 2010 collection?

apc-madras-collection-1.jpg

apc-madras-collection-2.jpg

apc-madras-collection-3.jpg

apc-madras-collection-4.jpg

apc-madras-collection-5.jpg

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wish more madras shirts were made with long sleeves. Can't bring myself to wear SS shirts.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I met yesterday with a fellow who sources fabric in India.
we discussed importing madras.
we even discussed sourcing madras with Vegetable dyes. "bleeding madras"

I will keep everyone updated

Carl-

Any news on this?

Paul Winston at Chipp has some Madras swatches for pants.

These guys have some fabric too:

http://store.fabrics-textiles.com/in...5f0b321a0506f6

and will sell by the yard. Can't vouch for the quality.

Also spoke to Joe Hemrajani at mytailor.com, who said he's looking at getting some, as there's a lot of demand.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I just wish more madras shirts were made with long sleeves. Can't bring myself to wear SS shirts.
+1. I wear them in long sleeves only, but they aren't as easy to find in nice color combos and patterns.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a non-colorfast LS from Rugby. I'll let you know how it fits/washes.

palma

Reaction score
Hey guys,

How does the sizing on rugby sport shirts run? I wear a small in stuff like gap, regular RL etc. Would I be a medium or a small in rugby shirts? Someone I think mentioned it fit a slimmer than the regular, but how much slimmer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads