• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AE7

Reaction score
socks-really short one that do not go over the shoes
no socks - baby powder/talc

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
Driving Shoes, socks or no socks?
Either way is fine. If you wear them with shorts then you should not wear socks. If you have sweat problem, get some liner socks.

chopp

Reaction score
looking to start a shoe collection on a budget (yes i've searched)

what do you all reccomend as a good shoe to start off with? ive been eying the AE park avenue in dark brown for a dressier shoe to go with less formal suits.

i also need a nice shoe that i can wear to a casual office, most people wear jeans, but i throw in slim trousers here and there. lets just pretend i have no dress shoes currently, and need a few pairs to rotate through the monday-friday work week. keep in mind im in my 20's and will likely be wearing raw denim here and there. thanks!

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Park Avenue fits your budget, go for it. You can also probably score some nice shoes from Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers on sale in the coming weeks that would be in the same price range (on sale) as full-retail Allen-Edmonds. Of course, with sales YMMV.

As for matching denim and such, give the SW&D forum a spin. You'll see lots of examples and advice just browsing through the existing posts there. A chelsea boot might work, or a chukka or desert boot if you want something even more casual.

There's no single, correct answer, but a lot of examples of things here on the forum; spend some time browsing and you'll decide what you do and don't like in a short time.

gabe23111

Reaction score
Hello, I am huge fan of this forum. I have never posted before and am at the beginning of my learning stage in terms of "mens style"

I purchased a Zegna suit and am hoping that it is not a knock-off. Shown are pictures of the inside jacket label. If anyone can help tell me what these labels mean I would be very greatful.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

oh.... I paid $450 for the suit. Is that the correct price point for this suit?

tozzy

Reaction score
for someone wearing a suit max twice a year (coincidentally, i also only own one, black), would you recommend getting handmade shoes or buy something off the shelf?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tozzy
for someone wearing a suit max twice a year (coincidentally, i also only own one, black), would you recommend getting handmade shoes or buy something off the shelf?
This is a confusing question. Are you saying you're looking for shoes to go with the suit you only wear once or twice a year? If so, I'd get something off the shelf, even if money is no object. Just be sure to shop around and get something that fits well. Use the money you save to pour into something else"”like a decent charcoal suit.
smile.gif

SpartanUndressed

Reaction score
A few quick questions:

1. Is there a general faq or book about modern style? It's amazing how little I know about clothes, and I would like to get a bit more up to speed.

2. Going along with the above. I recently purchased a few suits off the rack (sorry, i'm not at the custom made suit phase yet), and will be taking them to a local tailor. What should I ask for from the tailor? What should I make sure is absolutely done to my off the rack suits? What processes should I confirm with the tailor are done? What is a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on having an off the rack suit tailored?

3. Are there services that will come to my home, look at my closet, and tell me what should be thrown out, what goes with what, etc? How much would something like this cost and how much time would it take? In my head, it seems like this is a couple hours of work?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpartanUndressed
A few quick questions:

1. Is there a general faq or book about modern style? It's amazing how little I know about clothes, and I would like to get a bit more up to speed.

The Men's Clothing forum here is generally about style rather than fashion so one could call it "modern" only in the sense that it is not based on Victorian-era men's clothing. The idea is that proper tailored clothing for men looks good now, would have looked good 30 years ago and will look good in 30 more years. Along those lines, some books worth reading would be Flusser's Dressing the Man or the slightly more advanced The Suit by Nicholas Antongiavanni.

The Streetwear & Denim forum here is a lot more about current casual fashion. If you have questions about jeans or other casual attire, that is the place to go.

2. Going along with the above. I recently purchased a few suits off the rack (sorry, i'm not at the custom made suit phase yet), and will be taking them to a local tailor. What should I ask for from the tailor? What should I make sure is absolutely done to my off the rack suits? What processes should I confirm with the tailor are done? What is a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on having an off the rack suit tailored?
What I think you are really asking is how a suit should fit so you know what alterations the tailor will need to make to achieve that fit. One of the books I mentioned above is the best place to get that info. The cost depends on how extensive the necessary alterations. It can easily run $100 for a couple common alterations such as shortening jacket sleeves, hemming trousers, and taking in the waist of the trousers and the jacket.

3. Are there services that will come to my home, look at my closet, and tell me what should be thrown out, what goes with what, etc? How much would something like this cost and how much time would it take? In my head, it seems like this is a couple hours of work?
Yes, there are wardrobe consultants who will do that, but they are usually expensive and performed under the agreement that you will spend $5-10k on a new wardrobe purchased from vendors from whom the wardrobe consultant receives a commission. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the way of a middle ground between doing it all yourself and hiring someone expensive.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It is all about the chest and shoulder measurements. There are too many variables to rely on tag sizes.

How about Kiton?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
How about Kiton?
It's no different than with any other label. You need to look at the shoulder and chest measurements.

BlueEggs

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Wrong forum

bapelolol

Reaction score
what is the best way to remove wax from a shoe after it has been worn?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads