• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

MasZakrY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Wow, you don't like the outcome, yet, you keep going back to these guys. Odd.
It's a love hate thing
smile.gif
The suits fit is quite nice and off the rack simply does not compare. As others have stated; a local tailor will charge significantly more then what Indochino offers. Sometimes the issues are small: button holes not being perfect, slight alignment issues, miss pressed, loose threads, etc... On the other hand, sometimes the problems are large but with the remake option, it mitigates the risk of having to be stick with these issues. The Khaki trench coat was completely out of left field however; I was completely speechless when it arrived, I thought they sent me someone else's coat!

mjc

Reaction score
They don't know much about making coats. My coat was an awful lot like a suit jacket... except longer. Plus the buttons didn't line up all that well with the holes, and it felt lopsided. Buy a coat from a real coat maker.

Anyway... I just received a linen suit from them. I will try it on, once the horrible, horrible, overpowering smell of strongly scented detergent has worn off. Did I mention it smells bad? Ugh.

- Mike

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
[...] Anyway... I just received a linen suit from them. I will try it on, once the horrible, horrible, overpowering smell of strongly scented detergent has worn off. Did I mention it smells bad? Ugh. - Mike
I think they spray their garments with cologne before they ship them out. Not sure about the purpose of this (maybe some of their tailors smoke?), but I found this quite irritating as well. ETA: That's for wool, though, sorry, nevermind. With linen, hmm... they probably do wash it beforehand, not sure why it has to smell that strongly.

MasZakrY

Reaction score
One comment about the whole wool & polyester argument regards to if the fabric is as advertised. One issue is if 100% wool really means 100% wool but the other is, why even offer polyester suits? $300 for 100% polyester for $350 for 100% wool, its not much of a decision. I didn't even fathom that there would be a market for made to measure polyester suits
laugh.gif

One interesting observation, why are just about every wool suits fabric offered at exactly 150 thread count? Other companies do make suits with thread count as high as 450 after all. I'd love to see higher thread count fabrics and the option for real silk lining for a minimal additional fee.

P.S. how can you determine if buttons are really "bull horn" and not plastic, will the burn test suffice?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
I think they spray their garments with cologne before they ship them out. Not sure about the purpose of this (maybe some of their tailors smoke?), but I found this quite irritating as well.

ETA: That's for wool, though, sorry, nevermind. With linen, hmm... they probably do wash it beforehand, not sure why it has to smell that strongly.

They spray their garments with cologne? What the...?!

bjan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MasZakrY
One comment about the whole wool & polyester argument regards to if the fabric is as advertised. One issue is if 100% wool really means 100% wool but the other is, why even offer polyester suits? $300 for 100% polyester for $350 for 100% wool, its not much of a decision. I didn't even fathom that there would be a market for made to measure polyester suits
laugh.gif

One interesting observation, why are just about every wool suits fabric offered at exactly 150 thread count? Other companies do make suits with thread count as high as 450 after all. I'd love to see higher thread count fabrics and the option for real silk lining for a minimal additional fee.

P.S. how can you determine if buttons are really "bull horn" and not plastic, will the burn test suffice?

I'd guess that they're trying to confuse people with the thread count and the S rating. Super 150 fabric is not the same thing as 150 thread count.

quidquididest

Reaction score
Okay ... you got me to join the forum. Been lurking for a while, but after having read up all 35 or so pages of this thread, I decided to join in... so there you have it :)

I've ordered a The Linen suit from Indochino on April 11, and am currently about to finish the first 'iteration'. So, I thought I can share my story here, which I'd summarize so far as overall tentatively positive.

After having found out about Indochino on these very pages, I was intrigued and willing to give it a try. Seeing their linen suits online, I thought that a nice linen suit would be a welcome addition for summer, and not such a horrible loss if it turned out to be unusable in the end.

I went ahead and ordered their Tailor's Kit on April 1st., and received it only days later. I would really recommend starting by ordering the kit, some fabrics look quite nice, others I found apalling up close and personal (but that's my personal opinion, of course). Next, I measured myself with the help of my wife, which I found rather troublefree using their videos. I wore MTM shirt and pants during the measuring process. This helps, I think, in defining your shoulder and waistline, if you're not a tailor.

I ordered the Linen suit and the light blue herringbone shirt on April 11th, and received it approximately 10-12 days later (I don't remember - it was pretty fast in any case, considering that the icelandic volcano just then happened to block all intercontinental flights). For the shirt, I requested to have two cuff button options, one wider, one tighter, and their concierge obliged, once they understood what I wanted, even though this is not a regular option.

Overall, the fit was surprisingly good, which was confirmed by my tailor. It's not bespoke, but for the price point, and for a first shot...

The pants fit very well, needing no alterations at all (I was adventurous and ordered hemmed). The suit jacked felt a tad bit short (but that may have been my measuring), and sleeves were perhaps half an inch too long. The biggest problem, according to my tailor, was that my posture was not properly taken into account (or rather that I didn't describe it...), and thus, the vents in the back didn't drape well but opened up a bit. Shoulders looked OK to my not-really-trained eye. The shirt fits well overall, except that the cuffs were about 2 cm too narrow, and barely closed.

After discussing with my tailor, I contacted Indochino for a remake (Small gripe here: You cannot alter all of your measures on the remake page, e.g. the wrist circumference .... and the comments box on the remake form is too small to contain useful descriptions). I additionally contacted Angie, and explained in more detail what my tailor had suggested to be altered.

Tomorrow, I will receive the remade jacket and shirt. I am a bit worried after having read willnyc's experience that they sent the jacket in a subtly distinct fabric, but I'll know more soon. I guess I'll also find out what shipping costs, as it's a remake.

My overall impression: They try very hard to provide good frontline customer support, but it's clear that they're trying to keep their bottom line.
I had a small technical issue with their coupon codes (as some others on the forum): When I ordered the tailor's kit, I mistakenly added a coupon code. This didn't affect the price of the kit, but was counted as used up for my account, when later, I wanted to order the suit. I explained this to Angie, and after an email back-and-forth, they "exceptionally" granted me the discount again. Overall, my impression was that they treat you fair as a customer, and expect to be treated fairly as a business, as well.

Hope this helps for some of you on the fence,
-quidquididest

mjc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MasZakrY
why even offer polyester suits? $300 for 100% polyester for $350 for 100% wool, its not much of a decision. I didn't even fathom that there would be a market for made to measure polyester suits
laugh.gif

I imagine the no-wrinkle and good-fit properties of MTM polyester would appeal to those who do not want to wear a suit, but must for their job - hotel staff, car dealers, etc... and that's a perfectly valid market. Not for the SF demographic, though.

- Mike

mjc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
They spray their garments with cologne? What the...?!

Yup. It was noticeable on a wool flannel suit I received, and way-over-the-top on the linen. Yech.

- Mike

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
That clip from their website states that the lining is breathable, most poly blends are not breathable. I would think a silk lining would be the most breathable available.

Afaik Bemberg is more breathable than silk, though it's also an organic fibre and not synthetic like polyester.

LorenzL

Reaction score
well, even my bespoke tailor does put a bit of perfume on his shirt/suits when delivered and I think it adds a great touch! My Indochino suit had a distant scent, not disturbing at all...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
well, even my bespoke tailor does put a bit of perfume on his shirt/suits when delivered and I think it adds a great touch! My Indochino suit had a distant scent, not disturbing at all...

I don't think that's common amongst bespoke tailors, though, nor do I think it worthwhile or necessary.

MasZakrY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL

Not disturbing? Its actually quite nice!

I mirror others sentiments regarding the tailors kit, its fast turn around and difficulty using it with coupons
blush.gif

With other MTM online companies sprouting up, I'd like to know if indochino will hold its ground, step up its QA game or be tossed by the wayside.

quidquididest

Reaction score
Just received my remade shirt and suit jacket today. The good news: I didn't have to pay the shipping on these items (but I'll have to pay return shipment for the wrong garments) The bad news: As with willnyc, the suit jacket is a distinctly different fabric (I think it might be their Havana Suit ). It's noticable at first sight (lighter color, less coarse) that this is different, and wearing it with the suit pants won't do at all. The shirt is OK now, but it seems to be a little tighter in the sleeves (different workshop?), I liked the other one better. I just wrote to their customer support, and am curious to see what they'll say about the suit fabric mismatch. Update: they just wrote back and offered to remake the whole suit. That's good. I just wonder why they didn't do that right away - the fabric is so different that wearing the pants & jacket together is really out of the question, so it would have saved them the trouble of sending two packages.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quidquididest
Just received my remade shirt and suit jacket today.

The good news: I didn't have to pay the shipping on these items (but I'll have to pay return shipment for the wrong garments)

The bad news: As with willnyc, the suit jacket is a distinctly different fabric (I think it might be their Havana Suit ). It's noticable at first sight (lighter color, less coarse) that this is different, and wearing it with the suit pants won't do at all.

The shirt is OK now, but it seems to be a little tighter in the sleeves (different workshop?), I liked the other one better.

I just wrote to their customer support, and am curious to see what they'll say about the suit fabric mismatch.

Update: they just wrote back and offered to remake the whole suit. That's good.
I just wonder why they didn't do that right away - the fabric is so different that wearing the pants & jacket together is really out of the question, so it would have saved them the trouble of sending two packages.

That is strange with the fabric...I have just heard from another guy with the same problem. Also, I have heard of another case where the fabric was thought to be a blend instead of 100% wool...
Glad you are getting a remake though, hope it works out fine for you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads