• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chopp
AE Park Avenue
41VJGSQz1jL._AA300_.jpg

or

AE Fifth Avenue
414Oa-oppOL._AA300_.jpg

i need a new shoe for the office (with charcoal, grey, navy trousers, maybe even some raw denim), but that i can also dress up with a grey suit or something along those lines

Either of those shoes would work with the grey suit, but they are too formal to wear with raw denim. They'll be 'okay' with the odd trousers you mention, although technically you want an open-laced shoe for the odd trousers.

If you're most often going to be dressing below the level of a suit, I'd recommend buying a brown open laced shoe that's classic and nice enough to pair with the suit. That way you can wear it with raw denim and the trousers--and still pull it off with a suit. AE has some models that fit the bill, but I'd check the B&S boards and Ebay before buying AE at retail. AE is ubiquitous and can typically be found for at least half MSRP if you look around a bit.

chopp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Either of those shoes would work with the grey suit, but they are too formal to wear with raw denim. They'll be 'okay' with the odd trousers you mention, although technically you want an open-laced shoe for the odd trousers.

If you're most often going to be dressing below the level of a suit, I'd recommend buying a brown open laced shoe that's classic and nice enough to pair with the suit. That way you can wear it with raw denim and the trousers--and still pull it off with a suit. AE has some models that fit the bill, but I'd check the B&S boards and Ebay before buying AE at retail. AE is ubiquitous and can typically be found for at least half MSRP if you look around a bit.

thanks! any suggestions? its hard to find a shoe amid the square toed wearing public

dron

Reaction score
AAAAAvLf5DcAAAAAAKqzlQ.jpg

paul smith thunder boots - in black though.

yay or nay

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't normally buy graphic T's but for some odd reason this caught my eye. I am assuming this will be shot down but would like to hear thoughts. Oui ou Non?
Anthem-t-shirt.jpg

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I don't normally buy graphic T's but for some odd reason this caught my eye. I am assuming this will be shot down but would like to hear thoughts. Oui ou Non?
Anthem-t-shirt.jpg

YES ! I love Passarella Death Squad tees ! I own 3 myself. They're, besides a KVA tee, not only the only graphic tees I own, but also the highest quality tees in my wardrobe. The fabric ( 50% Cotton + 50% Rayon | imported from Japan ) is absolutely top-notch. They're so resistant that it's basically impossible that they'll stretch out someday and lose their shape. Mine are more than a year old, have been through quite a lot and are still like new. Too bad their tees come only in black and white... My favorite one is the "Japanese Flag" tee:
pds0015whtM1.jpg
pds.png

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I really want to get one but I read on Oki-Ni that I would have to pay custom fee's and I am afraid that I'm going to be raped by the fee's.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chopp
thanks! any suggestions? its hard to find a shoe amid the square toed wearing public

If you want AE, go to their website at allenedmonds dot com and look through the selection of open laced shoes, such as the Berkshire or the Sutter, and choose something in dark brown calf with open lacing and a leather sole. Some people love longwings for the uses you describe (basically versatile enough for casual, business, formal). If you want to step up a notch in quality then look at Alden shoes. Just remember to try a pair on somewhere and pay attention to the last used for each shoe as their sizing is a bit trickier.

AE is kind of the gateway to better shoes. They're a decent place to start and quite easy to find at reasonable prices. There is a ton of threads and info about Alden, AE, longwings, etc on the forum (as well as threads discussing how to build a versatile shoe collection from the ground up) so read up a bit and you'll be able to make a smart first purchase. Good luck.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I really want to get one but I read on Oki-Ni that I would have to pay custom fee's and I am afraid that I'm going to be raped by the fee's.
Oki-Ni ships DHL. I've ordered from them a few times, and never had to pay any fees up front. (I'm in the US, fwiw.) Only once did I get a bill, like two months later, but I just ignored it and never heard from them again.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
okini ships ups now

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much was the bill for? Just curious
Can't remember exactly, was around $50, I think. Don't even know which shipment(s) it was for, but all my orders were in the hundreds.

Originally Posted by jet
okini ships ups now
If so, then all bets are off, haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads