• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Muscular or skinny?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
As in all things, there's alot more latitude when you're tall. Tall-and-skinny and tall-and-ripped can both work for the individual. Shorter guys really need to bulk up to avoid being completely physically insubstantial. And unlike tall skinny guys who can successfully experiment with silouettes, those of us who are squattier in stature have to wear fitted clothes head-to-toe.

I cant recall meeting a short muscular guy who didn't have SMS. They also have a high likelihood of having a very disturbing cruel streak. Besides, bulking up just makes them look shorter.

kinch

Reaction score
It's all about naturally broad shoulders. My chest-to-waist drop is 6, which is about average, but my shoulders give the impression that I have a great v shape.

hngu7721

Reaction score
Finding clothes that fit me properly without any alterations is almost impossible.

I'm 5'9"
185 lbs
Waist 33
Chest 45
Shoulders 53
I usually wear xl and have the dry cleaners take in the sides and bottoms.

Any suggestions for rtw brands more suited for muscular physiques?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admittedly have a little bit of teh **** for the Danish Men's Lightweight 4-. FWIW, all these guys race at 160 lbs. or lower, and their boat average must be 155 lbs. or lighter.
photo-37.jpg

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Yeah, my shoulders are quite broad; they're usually the determining factor in whether something fits and not my chest. So many damn things I try on are voluminous in the chest and then tight in the shoulders. Db, I'm 6'4".
I guess the grass is always greener. But it's much easier to tailor chest, as well as gain size in chest, than to tailor shoulders or gain size in shoulders.
Originally Posted by Reggs
I cant recall meeting a short muscular guy who didn't have SMS. They also have a high likelihood of having a very disturbing cruel streak. Besides, bulking up just makes them look shorter.
It depends how much you bulk and whether you keep things proportional. As long as you don't go overboard on certain muscles, you're fine.
Originally Posted by wmmk
I admittedly have a little bit of teh **** for the Danish Men's Lightweight 4-. FWIW, all these guys race at 160 lbs. or lower, and their boat average must be 155 lbs. or lighter. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/photo-37.jpg]
that's pretty sick.

MyLeftNut

Reaction score
I'd say whatever that's your ideal weight would work best on your physical build, but of course that would require adapting to your real physical environment.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That picture is even better if you imagine there's a ****** just out of sight

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The subtle implications within this thread are rather amusing. 5 Stars.

yoyodunno

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wogbog
Rock hard muscles but not in a HUGE MUSCLES way. Like Roger Federer but without one arm being bigger than the other. Maybe skinnier than him. 'cause I'm skinny and I want a chance of being ideal
Yeah that's what happens when you play tennis a lot lol, my right forearm is a bit bigger than my left. Oh and for guys that want the 'ideal' body, pullups and chinups are really good for upperbody and core excercise. not that i have the ideal body, i'm somewhat short, and I have to eat a lot just to gain a little weight but hey i don't complain that I can eat all the bbq I want.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'6", 147 lbs. Not sure about my measurements actually, my chest is somewhere in the 38 range (suit jackets) and my waist is somewhere in the 29 area (pant size). I think im getting close to SMS without succumbing to it. For me, the vigor that i put into working out is more of an extension of geekiness than anything.

Then again, i'm reaching the limit of my ability to grow without drastically increasing my food/protein intake (vegetarianism, etc.) I figure as long as i keep pushing myself without eating a ton i'll just get more and more ripped (rather than built).

EDIT: you know what, nobody needs to see unsolicited pictures of my torso.

diamonds

Reaction score
that's unfair. everyone has muscles to a degree unless...
skeleton.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads