• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
You should immediately delete both posts so there is no evidence.
laugh.gif

I believe in admitting my mistakes. Ridicule is welcome
laugh.gif

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Had myself my version of a Tango Manhattan.

.25 oz Luxardo
1 oz Vya sweet
2 oz Cask 16 Crown Royal
eye dropper of VTR bitters

I checked out Philly restaurateur Stephen Starr's latest place, a blatant attempt to co-opt some of this faux-speakeasy trend that's been going around. For those who know the Franklin Mortgage and Investment Co (Hunts - I finally made it there, and you were right!) it's his riff on that. He even imported Sasha Petraske from Milk & Honey in NYC to help run the place.

Anyway, I had their Brooklyn No. 2, which is basically the Tango Manhattan. Rye, sweet vermouth, and maraschino, sans bitters. It was superb.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
I checked out Philly restaurateur Stephen Starr's latest place, a blatant attempt to co-opt some of this faux-speakeasy trend that's been going around. For those who know the Franklin Mortgage and Investment Co (Hunts - I finally made it there, and you were right!) it's his riff on that. He even imported Sasha Petraske from Milk & Honey in NYC to help run the place.

Anyway, I had their Brooklyn No. 2, which is basically the Tango Manhattan. Rye, sweet vermouth, and maraschino, sans bitters. It was superb.

No bitters? /boggle!

I'm already mourning when my VTR bitters run out and hope I can get some shipped to me.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
I just followed your recipe and did not get that color (mine is pink from the maraschino
facepalm.gif
) thoughts?

Yep. I photoshopped in the blue. j/k.
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
ok, i did the wrong thing - i bought their actual cherries and used the juice
facepalm.gif
instead of the liqeur!

Actually, I'm just glad someone's trying the drink! It's a great one! Maraschino is such a great modifier, and used in so many great cocktails.
Had myself my version of a Tango Manhattan. .25 oz Luxardo 1 oz Vya sweet 2 oz Cask 16 Crown Royal eye dropper of VTR bitters
Well, the main difference between the Tango and the house manhattan is the use of Paulius' infused red-wine syrup, which is very vermouth-like, but winey-er. When I want to reminisce, I make a standard Manhattan, but sub out half the Vya for Lillet Rouge -- I call it the 'Velvet Manhattan' in homage. The Lillet adds that wineyness that brings me at least a few miles closer than the many hundreds that separate me from their door.
I checked out Philly restaurateur Stephen Starr's latest place, a blatant attempt to co-opt some of this faux-speakeasy trend that's been going around. For those who know the Franklin Mortgage and Investment Co (Hunts - I finally made it there, and you were right!) it's his riff on that. He even imported Sasha Petraske from Milk & Honey in NYC to help run the place. Anyway, I had their Brooklyn No. 2, which is basically the Tango Manhattan. Rye, sweet vermouth, and maraschino, sans bitters. It was superb.
Glad you got to the Franklin. It is awesome. I wish it was closer to me! Starr got Petraske? Interesting, since Death consulted on the Franklin. Oh, is this that side bar to the Mexican-sounding joint? Didn't know it was open. Details, location, name, etc, please. I will be in Philly in a few weeks. Their Brooklyn #2 seems a riff on the Martinez.
I'm already mourning when my VTR bitters run out and hope I can get some shipped to me.
I can pick you up a bottle in three weeks.
devil.gif
~ H
13531127741369138411112.jpg
(Photo from my house, not the VTR).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
DSC01315.jpg
Actual VTR photo.
cheers.gif
*sigh* Now I am wishing I was back in Cleveland for the weekend. House charcuterie board at Lola. The duck speck was incredible.
DSC01326.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC01315.jpg
Actual VTR photo.
cheers.gif
*sigh* Now I am wishing I was back in Cleveland for the weekend. House charcuterie board at Lola. The duck speck was incredible.

cheers.gif
indeed, Pio! I pretty much wish I was in Cleveland most weekends -- too many people and places I love there. And yes, the charcuterie at Lola is pretty awesome. Ironic that it is Ruhlman's town, isn't it? Of course you read his blog on the Tango. ~ H

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Glad you got to the Franklin. It is awesome. I wish it was closer to me! Starr got Petraske? Interesting, since Death consulted on the Franklin. Oh, is this that side bar to the Mexican-sounding joint? Didn't know it was open. Details, location, name, etc, please. I will be in Philly in a few weeks.

Their Brooklyn #2 seems a riff on the Martinez.

Oops, I meant to put the name in. It's called the Ranstead Room, on Ranstead St (the alley-street between Chestnut and Market) between 20th and 21st. (so yes - directly on the other side of the block from El Rey, now occupying the site of the ol' Midtown IV diner). The exterior definitely plays up the theme, so look for the building with the pink light on the second floor balcony. Up close you can see their "ЯR" logo on the door.

You might also be careful who you bring - the six paintings on the wall are all of topless women. Done with class, of course, so I had no complaints.
laugh.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, I meant to put the name in. It's called the Ranstead Room, on Ranstead St (the alley-street between Chestnut and Market) between 20th and 21st. (so yes - directly on the other side of the block from El Rey, now occupying the site of the ol' Midtown IV diner). The exterior definitely plays up the theme, so look for the building with the pink light on the second floor balcony. Up close you can see their "ЯR" logo on the door. You might also be careful who you bring - the six paintings on the wall are all of topless women. Done with class, of course, so I had no complaints.
laugh.gif

Interesting. I think I know someone who would also have no complaints. Thanks.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Woodford Reserve and carbonated water. Usually just drink whiskey and water but decided to try something a little different.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2004 La Gravette de Certan, Pomerol
fe55c30a.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a bottle of Zin, Pellegrini or something, with dinner at our favorite place. I picked it because the chef is from NOLA originally and they had a gumbo special.

Now, same manhattan as last night. Damn that Cask 16 makes a nice one.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Home roasted micro-lot Grade-A Kona coffee from a stellar farm on Purple Mountain (Kona's answer to Jamaica's Blue Mountain).

It's a beautiful cup but *very* mood specific -- it's so nuanced and delicate that a measure of attentiveness is required for full appreciation. This is a super-low acid coffee, and has lovely notes of wine, wet earth, unsweetened cocoa, and a hint of stone fruit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads