• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just placed an order on Orbea Diem, a flat bar road/city/whatever...wicked and fast
worship.gif

Toronto34

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EMY
as urban as it gets.

photo0070u.jpg

That guy needs to take off the front disk and lengethen the rear brake cable pretty badly. other than that, sweet ride.

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toronto34
That guy needs to take off the front disk and lengethen the rear brake cable pretty badly. other than that, sweet ride.

The rear brake is hydraulic and the brake tubing is short because there is a hydro gyro installed.
22793.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
So I'm thinking of getting a new mt bike. Actually for mt. biking. No guarantee I'll do it, but I've been thinking about it. I need something to be more competitive about and I used to like mt. biking, but just haven't been out in years. [Hence building a city bike when my mt. bike was stolen last fall.] What are you guys riding these days? 26 or 29? What about a Cyclocross bike? Can you stick full on fat mt. tires on one? I've had Trek in the past and been happy, but I'd like to try out some others. I'm thinking no more than $1000, disc brakes, hard tail. And I'm in no mood to build it myself. And that's all I got for now. Some possibilities Trek 6500 or the 6000 Kona Cinder Cone Then there's Giant or Cannondale, I suppose. What else?
Man, I really really want a MTB. It's been a decade since I last breath the fresh mountain air on a hardtail. But alas, I have no space for an extra bike in my apt. Even worse, I'd be sleeping on the couch for a while if I come home every weekend dragging mud all over the place. I need a bigger place [and a backyard with a garden hose in it].
ffffuuuu.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
Man, I really really want a MTB. It's been a decade since I last breath the fresh mountain air on a hardtail. But alas, I have no space for an extra bike in my apt. Even worse, I'd be sleeping on the couch for a while if I come home every weekend dragging mud all over the place.

I need a bigger place [and a backyard with a garden hose in it].
ffffuuuu.gif

I've never been on a bike for decades before I started mountain biking, and after getting over the first few months of trail riding, I would say I'm totally hooked now- enough that I actually plan my weekends around it. there really is something about biking out on a trail and riding up/down a mountain path.

mondayc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shiny
Are there any laws to prevent this? How have you all dealt with this?
If the rest of the racks are full, lock your bike to the moped (3).

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
I'm considering a bike to ride to and from work. The ride will be roughly seven miles in a metro area. I won't be carrying anything other than a change of clothing, water, a snack and an MP3 player. I'm 5'10" and 150 pounds, if it makes a difference. What kind of bike would be best suited for my needs?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ a road bike that fits your budget and maybe a small hydration backpack with extra pockets for your player, tools, snack and a shirt
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
I'm considering a bike to ride to and from work. The ride will be roughly seven miles in a metro area. I won't be carrying anything other than a change of clothing, water, a snack and an MP3 player. I'm 5'10" and 150 pounds, if it makes a difference. What kind of bike would be best suited for my needs?

For an urban commute, I'd actually suggest a hybrid -- something like a Specialized Sirrus. I'd get the handlebar cut a little so you have a slimmer profile, which is better for squeezing in between cars. A hybrid can also accommodate larger tires, e.g. 32cm, and thus would be a little more cushy over city bumps. In addition, find something that can accommodate a rear rack system for your gear.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And leave the MP3 player at home. Few things are so dangerous as a driver, cyclist, or pedestrian who can't hear what's going no around him.

b

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with flat bars, but I think people tend to shy away from drop bars for the wrong reasons.

A wider (not 120lb pro racer sized) set of drop bars, set up a bit high are just as comfortable but much more versitile.

You can ride them like they are flat bars, you can camp out on the hoods (most people prefer the hoods) and if you end up having to fight a headwind on the way home (or you just want to feel special), you can fall into the drops.

The only downside I can see to them is that often the shifting mechanisms for drop bars (sti levers) cost a lot more than the stuff for flat bars (grip or trigger shifters). So if the bike does not come with them, it is not really a sensible addition.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Nothing wrong with flat bars, but I think people tend to shy away from drop bars for the wrong reasons.

A wider (not 120lb pro racer sized) set of drop bars, set up a bit high are just as comfortable but much more versitile.

You can ride them like they are flat bars, you can camp out on the hoods (most people prefer the hoods) and if you end up having to fight a headwind on the way home (or you just want to feel special), you can fall into the drops.

The only downside I can see to them is that often the shifting mechanisms for drop bars (sti levers) cost a lot more than the stuff for flat bars (grip or trigger shifters). So if the bike does not come with them, it is not really a sensible addition.

Yep. I used to have a Specialized Sirrus and while it was my gateway drug to road bikes, once I got my first drop handle road bike, I almost never rode the Sirrus. I eventually sold it.

One good choice for a commuter would be to look for a lower end cyclocross bike like a Bianchi Axis. Just replace the semi knobby tires that it probably has standard with slicks. They usually have plenty of clearance for fenders too. Also, although they're pretty freddish, consider a rack. Packs/messenger bags make for a sweaty back.

Of course this assumes you have a secure place to park it at work. If not, just get the cheapest POS that'll do the job because it'll get stolen.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this guy about 9 months ago but really haven't used it. I think I'm going to change that. I was hoping to ride it the 10 miles or so down to the beach this past weekend but that didn't pan out. Will do so this weekend if I don't end up going to Vegas. Anyways, since it's less than 4 miles to work, I think I'm going to start biking to work at least a few days a week from now on.
540px-Trek_allant_2.jpg

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I have a friend with that Trek and he loves it.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads