• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Burr130

Reaction score
Any one have any opinions on the Ray-Ban Folding Wayfarer 4105? Thinking about getting them in the tortoise color..

Fredrik

Reaction score
P934_tortoise_G.jpg

Hello

Can anybody please help me identify these sunglasses?
Also, are these available anywhere as cheap knockoffs?
They look a bit like the Ango American AA406 but with tinted lenses.

405_Anglo_American_AA_406_TO_Tortoiseshell.jpg

Thank you in advance

Hermitedge

Reaction score
This may been mentioned before, but I couldnt find it on the forum... but is SMART BUY GLASSES . COM a legitimate website to make purchases from, or are they sketchy/knockoff style?

c00kz

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a good website for glasses/sunglasses with a liberal return/exchange policy? Most of the ones I've seen are very sport oriented.

MaSoB

Reaction score
I had my thread locked even though there was nothing under the search results...

Oliver Peoples Daddy B

Anything good or bad to say about these glasses?

Gaffos

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hermitedge
This may been mentioned before, but I couldnt find it on the forum... but is SMART BUY GLASSES . COM a legitimate website to make purchases from, or are they sketchy/knockoff style?

Originally Posted by c00kz
Can anyone recommend me a good website for glasses/sunglasses with a liberal return/exchange policy? Most of the ones I've seen are very sport oriented.

Check us out!!

www.gaffos.com

Originally Posted by Burr130
Any one have any opinions on the Ray-Ban Folding Wayfarer 4105? Thinking about getting them in the tortoise color..

We just got a few of these in stock; we like them a lot and the style and obviously the convenience factor of being able to fold them up.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fredrik
P934_tortoise_G.jpg

Hello

Can anybody please help me identify these sunglasses?
Also, are these available anywhere as cheap knockoffs?
They look a bit like the Ango American AA406 but with tinted lenses.

405_Anglo_American_AA_406_TO_Tortoiseshell.jpg

Thank you in advance

That's a take on a classic Persol look (those aren't actually Persols). Urban Outfitters currently has the knock-offs.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can anybody knowledgeable make a post on classic sunglass styles. all i can think of is rayban wayfarers, shuron ronsirs, and persol 714.

HuiggityHuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
can anybody knowledgeable make a post on classic sunglass styles. all i can think of is rayban wayfarers, shuron ronsirs, and persol 714.

One rarely-mentioned classic is the American Optical Saratoga (below). These were worn by JFK and were touted by GQ's Style Guy Glenn O'Brien as the "perfect sunglasses". They're similar to Ray-Ban's Wayfarer, but the arms are slimmer and the rims have a different shape.

4625554824_1c00fe914b.jpg

4625555042_4bc47b3aa3.jpg

ahe

Reaction score
I saw that post in AAAC awhile back, but I don't believe they are made anymore are they?

Exit English

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HuiggityHuy
One rarely-mentioned classic is the American Optical Saratoga (below). These were worn by JFK and were touted by GQ's Style Guy Glenn O'Brien as the "perfect sunglasses". They're similar to Ray-Ban's Wayfarer, but the arms are slimmer and the rims have a different shape.

4625554824_1c00fe914b.jpg

4625555042_4bc47b3aa3.jpg

The worst part about those is they just look like $5 knockoff wayfarers to the average person.

HuiggityHuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahe
I saw that post in AAAC awhile back, but I don't believe they are made anymore are they?

Yeah, they were discontinued in the 60's but they can be found on eBay and Klasik.org. I might have seen a pair on Allyn Scura too.

Originally Posted by Exit English
The worst part about those is they just look like $5 knockoff wayfarers to the average person.

I agree, that's one reason why I wouldn't shell out for them. But if I were given a choice between these and Wayfarers, I'd roll with the 'Togas (With the exception of the black/crystal/grey fade Wayfarer IIs. I like those).

Gaffos

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum

What would you like us to tell you about the Ray Ban Wayfarers? We have them in ALL colors..from the regular black or tortoise; to baby blue and yellow!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics