• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
The guys who bought the house next door to a duplex I own put in an application to convert it to a daycare for 62 kids!
ffffuuuu.gif

They still have to be approved for a minor variance in building code and the whole neighorhood is mobilizing to oppose the proposal but I doubt it will matter. It's on a side street with lots of traffic already so having 50 more cars dropping off and picking up kids during rush hour will be a nightmare. This is bad news for property values. And the old lady who lives on the main floor, and is the best tenant I've ever had, is quite upset about this. If she leaves, it's gonna cost me
angry.gif

Tell the guys who want to run a daycare center that you're planning on renting your unit to a registered sex offender. Problem solved.
devil.gif

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
seriously, as long as you and your family have their health, everything else is unimportant. episodes like this really put things in perspective.

one of these sudden childhood cancers poping up is probrably the biggest fear I have in life. something totally inpredictable destroying your life and taking a loved one. horrible.

I have the same fear of my kids or my wife getting sick.

Our kids have been getting lots of extra attention and overly spoiled the past few days. I am happy that so far we haven't had to explain too much about what is happening and why kids are sick etc. I am not sure how to explain all that to a almost 6 yr old. Our youngest is too young to understand at all.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
bigstar[1].gif
Thanks for that. I also got some great advice from someone working within the organization.

Here we go.

Glad to help. Sorry to pile it all on you in a few ginormous paragraphs. I was and work and kind of stream-of-consciousness dumped all the stuff that came to mind.

People inside the org. are invaluable - I received similar help during my job search.

Feel free to hit me up if you come up with any other questions.

Originally Posted by EL72
The guys who bought the house next door to a duplex I own put in an application to convert it to a daycare for 62 kids!
ffffuuuu.gif

They still have to be approved for a minor variance in building code and the whole neighorhood is mobilizing to oppose the proposal but I doubt it will matter. It's on a side street with lots of traffic already so having 50 more cars dropping off and picking up kids during rush hour will be a nightmare. This is bad news for property values. And the old lady who lives on the main floor, and is the best tenant I've ever had, is quite upset about this. If she leaves, it's gonna cost me
angry.gif

This sucks. I never realized how aggravating these types of things could be until I bought a house. I've only been a homeowner for two weeks, and I already want to choke the people who don't mow their lawns, keep their front yard clean, etc. I think my head would explode if someone tried to put in a daycare next door.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I have to say that this is the type of thing that really keeps me from buying a house. I am really worried that I commit to a 20 year mortgage and then something really bad happens to the nieghborhood or something like that.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ I have to say that this is the type of thing that really keeps me from buying a house. I am really worried that I commit to a 20 year mortgage and then something really bad happens to the nieghborhood or something like that.

Happens more than I wish it did. Our first neighborhood went downhill like that, and our current one is still holding up pretty well, although a few neighbors are losing the battle with the weeds.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My head is still screwed up about my ex, one year on. Just as I get used to the idea of her being away and I'm starting to feel that if I met the right girl maybe I could move on, I find out she is coming back to where I live in September.

I'm pissed off that I can't resist talking to her when we are both online, even though I regret it afterwards. Its all very well being mature and chatting but it pisses me off she is dating someone, even if it is probably a meaningless holiday fling, and I am not and I can't help but remember it when I talk to her.

I'm pissed off that every conversation with her makes me feel like I am competing in a "how cool is your life" competition and even more pissed off that I feel like I am loosing.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spoke to my girlfriend on Wednesday night, and asked her what she was up to, she told me she was going to go see "Robin Hood" with her sister.

That movie doesnt come out till today.

Granted her sister works at a movie theater, so it could have been like an advance copy this that and the other thing.

Though somehow I doubt that is the case.

I haven't seen her since, spoke on the phone, but havent seen her. Going to today, wrestling with whether or not I should confront her about it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^um, have you read the last few pages. this thread needs mods.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's definitely a concern for me. It aggravates me every time I drive past those houses, but I suppose there's not much I can do about it. I've been told I can call code enforcement for certain things, but I'm still not sure if I want to be that guy. It would be anonymous, but still...

Poor upkeep doesn't concern me as much as someone coming in and completely changing the area around my house, though it's unlikely given where my house sits. My neighborhood is pretty big, and one part of it (nowhere near my house) used to back up to empty forest land. A large Catholic Church has broken ground on that formerly empty land, and I feel bad for the people whose houses basically abut the church. They went from a forest view to a Catholic view.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Happens more than I wish it did. Our first neighborhood went downhill like that, and our current one is still holding up pretty well, although a few neighbors are losing the battle with the weeds.

A few people have told me that pretty much every neighborhood has that handful of houses that aren't quite as well maintained as the rest, and it just kind of is what it is.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The problems GT, T-bone, and OG are talking about are really helped cured by HOAs. A good HOA is the best thing that will ever happen to your property value. Sure, when they're after you to stop doing something that's white trash you don't like them, but when they're after a neighbor to not paint their house day glow orange or put a car up on blocks in the front yard, they are your best friend.

scribbles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
My head is still screwed up about my ex, one year on. Just as I get used to the idea of her being away and I'm starting to feel that if I met the right girl maybe I could move on, I find out she is coming back to where I live in September. I'm pissed off that I can't resist talking to her when we are both online, even though I regret it afterwards. Its all very well being mature and chatting but it pisses me off she is dating someone, even if it is probably a meaningless holiday fling, and I am not and I can't help but remember it when I talk to her. I'm pissed off that every conversation with her makes me feel like I am competing in a "how cool is your life" competition and even more pissed off that I feel like I am loosing.
Do yourself a HUGE favor. Block her from contacting you in any way possible. Facebook? BLOCK! Instant messaging of various types? BLOCK! Got a cellphone? BLOCK! You will be a better person because of it. I've done it after my last two break ups and after 2-3 weeks I didn't even notice/care anymore.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The problems GT, T-bone, and OG are talking about are really helped cured by HOAs. A good HOA is the best thing that will ever happen to your property value. Sure, when they're after you to stop doing something that's white trash you don't like them, but when they're after a neighbor to not paint their house day glow orange or put a car up on blocks in the front yard, they are your best friend.

This is a good point. Our last HOA (the old 'hood) was a crap organization, but the current neighborhood is pretty well run by a bunch of retirees who have lived in the neighborhood for the last 30 years. Very little common area maintenance, and they get out to meet people, which is pretty nice.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
This is a good point. Our last HOA (the old 'hood) was a crap organization, but the current neighborhood is pretty well run by a bunch of retirees who have lived in the neighborhood for the last 30 years. Very little common area maintenance, and they get out to meet people, which is pretty nice.

They can really be bad or can really be good. I have always supported mine until I had to take an issue to them over a neighbor. They decided to not follow the HOA rules and allow the neighbor to continue with something that no one around him liked and was clearly against the HOA rules, even according to the Board's admission. I know the two best lawyers in town that deal with HOA stuff and one did it as a favour.

Who runs the HOA is almost as important as what the HOA says. Sounds like you have good folks manning yours T-bone.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scribbles
Do yourself a HUGE favor. Block her from contacting you in any way possible. Facebook? BLOCK! Instant messaging of various types? BLOCK! Got a cellphone? BLOCK! You will be a better person because of it. I've done it after my last two break ups and after 2-3 weeks I didn't even notice/care anymore.
Yeah, I did all that and did feel better for a while, but I didn't get to the stage where I didn't care anymore. She was the first girl I was interested in for more than just a month or a few drunken hook ups, the first to make the hassle of a relationship worth it. My best friend for a year and my girlfriend for more than three, we basically lived together for most of that time. I'm kind of sentimental when it comes to this kind of thing, very difficult to just not talk to her. What made me feel better for a while was having some other focus in my life, regardless of talking to her. I've got to get that back. I need to get in the position that when she is back in London in a few months I can genuinely take it or leave it because I have enough other things going on. I just need to get off my arse and get my **** in order again, just hard at the moment. Also just unintentionally/unwisely listened to a load of radiohead and finished reading a really depressing Graham Greene novel. Pretty low now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads