• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a 17 year old identify the staples every wardrobe should have

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
This is some of the best advice I've read on the forum.

This thread has actually had some really awesome and insightful posts actually. Although I'm 21 and never worn a suit so the necessity of dress clothes is questionable, then again I went to a wedding this year and felt mildly underdressed doing what I could with what I own until I saw a dude in a sweater and cargo pants.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wogbog
This thread has actually had some really awesome and insightful posts actually. Although I'm 21 and never worn a suit so the necessity of dress clothes is questionable, then again I went to a wedding this year and felt mildly underdressed doing what I could with what I own until I saw a dude in a sweater and cargo pants.

You were under-dressed. You should have worn a suit.

Strombollii

Reaction score
It's funny, I was of the "I'm a freshman in college and don't need a suit yet" mentality up until a few months ago. I've needed one twice insofar, and I'll need one again in June. Definitely a necessity.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits are a necessary part of being an adult. But most people will only need one or two. Make sure those are good so they last a good while.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I'm 28 now and have come along financially to the point where I can buy what I want, but I think if I had the foresight at 17 to get more dedicated to my style, I may have locked in my personal style long ago and be in a totally different place from where I am now. Maybe a good thing, probably not a bad thing.

I do think you should have 2 basic looks - casual and formal. You won't ever wear the latter much, but in high school, until the end, and at some points in college, I did go to enough stuff where being dressed up was required and you really don't want to be that asshole wearing sneakers with khakis and a buttonup shirt as your 'formal' look. Go black, look clean for this kind of stuff. If you can, get a proper suit, a good shirt, a simple tie, and a good pair of shoes. Girls will like it. You can choose to multi-task some of that stuff, but if it were me, I wouldn't. I'd just keep 'nice clothes' nice and leave them be. Have a nice pair of clean laceup shoes you only wear on those occasions, and they'll last several years. If you try to mix them in with casual stuff, they'll get beat up, obviously.

As for casual, it's gonna be your look 90% of the time, so do as you may. I don't raelly believe in khakis, but jeans are staple. Basic white tees. A nice pair of sneakers. Maybe a black leather jacket if you can afford it, if not, a peacoat and then some sort of windbreaker, like a Harrington. A couple v neck sweaters. A couple buttondown shirts. Keep it all trim fitting, cropped, sag your pants a bit, and enjoy being young. Do something with your hair, as well.

This is good advice.

Stay basic.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Suits are a necessary part of being an adult. But most people will only need one or two. Make sure those are good so they last a good while.

**** that noise. The only suit I'll ever wear is the one they bury me in.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
Don't go to many weddings, do you?

you dont have to wear a suit to a wedding... depending on the wedding of course.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
you dont have to wear a suit to a wedding... depending on the wedding of course.
I'd be pissed if some dude showed up at my wedding without a suit. Granted, I don't really want to get married but hypothetically speaking it's incredibly rude. Juveniles have more leeway; I'm not going to expect a suited up 13 year old. But once you're an adult, you're a dick if you don't.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lets just say at my cousins wedding i wore a tie cardigan and trousers... very casual and not even close to a suit...

I was over dressed...

and they kept asking why i was dressed like mr rogers... because of my cardigan...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
such a previous level joke, i feel like these people are a decade or two behind

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
and they kept asking why i was dressed like mr rogers... because of my cardigan...

I only get this comment from old people in dumpy pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads