• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

LRMD

Reaction score
I have 7 groomsmen with very dark brown suits, and I have to buy them ties. Bridesmaids wear dark purple dresses. Is anything besides a solid purple tie acceptable? If so, what patterns would work, and what should I avoid?

Dsquared

Reaction score
Help with Dior Homme suit size.
What is chest measurement of Dior homme suit in size EU 52?
It corresponds to 42 US I think,so is it armpit to armpit measurement of suit 21 inch or inch or two more and this 42 should correspond to my chest measurement.
New into suits so please help.

GiorgioHilfiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinMcAfee
I want to buy these pants. But, they say they're "Self-sizing" and the only Options for the pants are "44L" or "44R"

What is self-sizing. And what is 44L/44R??

EDIT: THESE Pants! Lol, forgot to link... http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Sh...6/product.html

Self sizer seems to mean a stretching waistband: http://www.milbern.com/contents/en-us/d34.html

According to same page it seems that 44 means a 44 inch waist, R being regular and L long.

On top of the fancy self sizing mechanism, the pants are also 100% polyester, and you should consider some nicer pants instead!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
When buying a trench coat, do you get your normal suit jacket size, or do you add an inch or so for space to wear stuff under it?
You get your normal jacket size. The maker builds in an allowance since a trench coat is intended to be worn over a jaclet.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LRMD
I have 7 groomsmen with very dark brown suits, and I have to buy them ties. Bridesmaids wear dark purple dresses. Is anything besides a solid purple tie acceptable? If so, what patterns would work, and what should I avoid?
There's no need to match the bridemaids' dresses. In fact, doing so looks kinda' Mens Wearhouse-ish. In fact, if the groomsmen are wearing suits, there's no need for them to wear matching ties. If it were me, I would probably pick a ground color such as blue and let them wear any tie (within reason) that had that ground color.

anticx

Reaction score
hi
smile.gif

What do you think about my new Golden Goose sneakers?

surlyjackalope

Reaction score
I just received this MTM suit from one of the Asia-based travelling tailors. I was measured by one of their tailors when he was in town a couple of months back. The suit was straight out of the box in these photos, so it is still very wrinkled. However, my immediate concern is that there is too much waist suppression - certainly more than any of my other suits, including the one I wore when I was fitted.

Thoughts? Also, I assume that a jacket that is too nipped in the waist cannot be fixed by a tailor.

Thanks!

dron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by surlyjackalope
I just received this MTM suit from one of the Asia-based travelling tailors. I was measured by one of their tailors when he was in town a couple of months back. The suit was straight out of the box in these photos, so it is still very wrinkled. However, my immediate concern is that there is too much waist suppression - certainly more than any of my other suits, including the one I wore when I was fitted.

Thoughts? Also, I assume that a jacket that is too nipped in the waist cannot be fixed by a tailor.

Thanks!

perfect! imho

the tailor might have left some material to enable you to have it let out a bit

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Yes, it's too tight in the waist. Whether it can be let out depends on the size of the seam allowances in the jacket but I would not expect them to be that extensive. Also, it looks like the jacket is too long, but that's an easier problem to fix. What tailor was it?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks!

Perfect IMO. I think the shoulders are a bit wide, however.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn
perfect! imho

the tailor might have left some material to enable you to have it let out a bit

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Perfect IMO. I think the shoulders are a bit wide, however.
Ugh, I don't know how either of you can say that. It looks like a woman's jacket. It also looks like it's tighter on one side than on the other.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinch
NYC people:

I'm moving into the city in a few weeks (the Village, to be precise) and I need to find a tailor that can make some pretty major alterations to suit trousers. They're just way too baggy for me, in the top block and legs, so I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations on some competent tailors that could handle this.

(I'm aware I could just go onto Yelp and find well reviewed tailors, but I'm more interested in SF's opinion.)

If you're looking for something in your neighborhood I would go to Hong Kong Tailor Jack on Waverly Place. He's done good work on some of my things and he has a good sense of humor, which is a nice change of pace for most awkward tailors. The tailor John at Chris French Cleaners on 4th Ave and 9th is pretty good as well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Ugh, I don't know how either of you can say that. It looks like a woman's jacket. It also looks like it's tighter on one side than on the other.

Maybe he just has a womanly body?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics