• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why spend a lot on a belt? All belts look the same to me.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
A belt seems to be one of the more unnoticed parts of an outfit, so it doesn't seem like money well spent. Exposed contrast stitching can distinguish a belt. Suede can. Otherwise, dress belts all look the same to me...boring and black, brown, etc. What am I missing? What's the difference b/w a $20 belt and a $100+ belt? Can someone post some compare/contrasts ? I really would like to know if I am overlooking something. And I don't need to buy a $100 belt b/c it lasts longer. When I was younger, I had a $10 Syms belts last me 5-10 years, with daily use. Thanks.

I'm guessing that an expensive belt would be hand-made of "fine" leather and precise stitch patterns. Personally, I agree with you. As long as the belt is leather and matches my black or burgundy shoes, I'm golden. The day that I pay $100 for a belt is the day that I'm making too much money, and I'll never think that I'm making too much money.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
I'm guessing that an expensive belt would be hand-made of "fine" leather and precise stitch patterns. Personally, I agree with you. As long as the belt is leather and matches my black or burgundy shoes, I'm golden. The day that I pay $100 for a belt is the day that I'm making too much money, and I'll never think that I'm making too much money.

Cheapskate.
smile.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
Cheapskate.
smile.gif

When did that become an insult?
confused.gif

Isn't thrift a virtue? Regardless of the seriousness of your post (or rather, lack of it), it's an interesting question.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why spend alot on a belt? You can make that argument about anything. People value different things.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Why spend alot on a belt? You can make that argument about anything. People value different things.

Yes, but for something like, say , shoes, you can tick off better leather, better design, better durability, better construction, and so on. On suits, you can tick off construction, fit, so on and so forth. On belts, there's really not nearly as much inherent improvement for a higher priced item. As with several other things in fashion (not going to name names right now, though I do have a few specific items in mind), the only thing you get for paying more is being able to say you paid more, and perhaps a flashy logo on the buckle.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Isn't thrift a virtue? Regardless of the seriousness of your post (or rather, lack of it), it's an interesting question.

In some tribes it is mentioned as a key moral principle.

However, just because the OP can't see a difference between belts at widely different price levels doesn't mean that he is virtuous in his culture or mine; he could also be blind, ignorant, miserly or just lack any notion of quality.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're not convinced its worth it, a bunch of guys on the internet won't convince you.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but for something like, say , shoes, you can tick off better leather, better design, better durability, better construction, and so on. On suits, you can tick off construction, fit, so on and so forth. On belts, there's really not nearly as much inherent improvement for a higher priced item. As with several other things in fashion (not going to name names right now, though I do have a few specific items in mind), the only thing you get for paying more is being able to say you paid more, and perhaps a flashy logo on the buckle.

There you go.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but for something like, say , shoes, you can tick off better leather, better design, better durability, better construction, and so on.

For a belt you can tick off the better leather, better design, better durability, better construction and so on.

If you held a $20 belt and a $500 belt in your hands and couldn't notice the difference, you could save $480 and look fine with an untucked shirt .
laugh.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's put it this way. You can get a belt made of of top end bridle leather for less then $50 from a craftsman. What kind of stitching and construction can you do that brings it up to 10x the price? Finishing I can see for nicer and creative finishes. But if your belt is costing $500, barring something really special, you're being taken for a ride and most of it is pure profit. Perhaps they could make a buckle, loop and tip with solid tooled gold or something.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well then, I'll start looking out for top end bridle leather belts for less then $50 from my neighbourhood craftsman. Thanks.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Okay, let's put it this way. You can get a belt made of of top end bridle leather for less then $50 from a craftsman. What kind of stitching and construction can you do that brings it up to 10x the price? Finishing I can see for nicer and creative finishes. But if your belt is costing $500, barring something really special, you're being taken for a ride and most of it is pure profit. Perhaps they could make a buckle, loop and tip with solid tooled gold or something.

Yes, please tell us what craftsman offers these belts for $50, particularly a lined one with a decent solid brass buckle that would be suitable for wearing with a suit. Equus charges about three times that, and I had thought that was a pretty fair price.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 100% agreement with the OP. I have belts that retail for between $30 and $250 and I cannot discern any significant difference in quality between them that would justify the enormous difference in price. Nor is there any true visible difference. You are paying the luxury markup for the brand name, as usual.

Those that say you can't buy a high-quality belt for little money are liars or fools; you can buy Crockett & Jones belts for less than €75 in the boutique, for example.

Those who think it's classy to display "subtle logos" are just plain tards. You may as well stitch a Nike logo to your clothes. Same thing.

Those who think funky braided leather designs by Paul Smith or the H-shaped Hermes buckle are classy and stylish are either tasteless drones or nouveau-riche Russian gang members, because those are the only two demographics who buy that sort of chintzy garbage. I'd wear a $10 Walmart belt before ever putting on anything so repellant.

OP, in the end, 90% of SF members are just brand-name whores. You are on the right track; ignore the 'advice' in this thread at all costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads