• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinMcAfee

Reaction score
Most recently the most amazing thing I've found has been a BRAND NEW members only jacket with the original tags and everything. It's the 1980's gray one with a sales tag of $100+. I paid $3.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Wish I could say I had something to brag about from today, I took a trip about an hour south to visit 7 thrift stores in a wealthier area. Well, I grabbed a few things, but nothing impressive, very dissapointing trip.

But, I did find 2 Brioni dress shirts with contrast collars and french cuffs earlier in the week for $4 each.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Not a thrift find, but a pair of AE Hinsdale shell loafers (1997-2000) off of eBay for $40 shipped. Originally they were "black cherry" shell, but have mellowed to a nice brown. Best of all, the previous owner probably wore them less than 20 times and had the soles topyied so they're in almost perfect condition.
dtyub002.jpg
dtyub003.jpg

inlove.gif
How the hell did you sneak them out for $40?

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
inlove.gif

Poor seller. Hard not to feel a little bad about whoever put up those shoes... and then ended up getting $40.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
new user on this site, enjoy your posts.

2 questions;

I saw a sport coat today that was made in Italy, label looked exactly
like Etro but instead said Smith. Is this Etro?

Next, saw Charles Tyrwhitt shoes nearly new 12D for $20, good deal for resale?

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Wow!

Originally Posted by BBC
Not a thrift find, but a pair of AE Hinsdale shell loafers (1997-2000) off of eBay for $40 shipped. Originally they were "black cherry" shell, but have mellowed to a nice brown. Best of all, the previous owner probably wore them less than 20 times and had the soles topyied so they're in almost perfect condition.

dtyub002.jpg

dtyub003.jpg

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees

2 questions;

probably PAUL SMITH,he works with funky colors/designs like ETRO.so very likely

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
so i usually get A LOT of nice items..im talking Brioni and Kiton suits,but mostly lurk here and enjoy what others find. however i just had to share today; in the morning i found a very very cool looking vintage rocking chair with perfect leather and wood.not anything designer but i love anything vintagy that belongs in "books on lofts".later on in the day i find a brand new (packaging and tag and all) SHOEI SHC helmet in my size (XL).which works out great because im 220 pounds and im going to need it to try this chair out hehe. if anybody is interested in the helmet let me know

BBC

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your nice comments on my new loafers

Originally Posted by tsaltzma
inlove.gif

They were unmarked shell - there's always a couple of pair of unmarked shells on eBay, but you have to know how the find them (I'm not telling
sly.gif
). I think 5 out of 7 of my shell shoes I picked up as unmarked shell on eBay.

For example, these are unmarked shell and were BIN $29.99, but a friend of mine already purchased them.
368509426_o.jpg

These too are unmarked shell and are still on eBay - pretty beat up, but still unmarked shell
!Bs5p5!gBWk~$(KGrHqEH-EUEvCKlJS79BL5w!,hssw~~_35.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-Britches-8...item51929c9be3

Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
Poor seller. Hard not to feel a little bad about whoever put up those shoes... and then ended up getting $40.

I don't feel too bad because the seller undoubtedly picked them up in a thrift store and was flipping them. Almost all sellers who know they have shell shoes will get a decent return, but flippers often don't recognize them for what they are and price them low.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in a Robert Talbott button up shirt?

the texture is reminicesnt of the Polo shirts from Polo ralph lauren (blue label)

the size is 17 1/2 neck, forget arm length

made in poland.

can get it to you for $35 shipped maybe i can haggle with the owner of the store a little bit and if you live closer shipping might be cheaper
so let me know!

*i have to fgo back and get it*

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 questions;

Good to see you've joined!
smile.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
That rocker is just beautiful. Great find.

yeah i couldnt believe it either there were like 4 people just staring at it in a circle...for $10!!!!!!!!
i said...is anybody gonna take this?and they all just shook their heads...im like **** yeah im gonna rock out in my new old rocking chair.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
That RLPL tie is gorgeous.
drool.gif

I disagree.

Originally Posted by Nataku
Wow, great to hear you're back in the game again! I remember you talking crazy and about to give up awhile back! Congrats on the awesome finds!

+1 Nice to see you get some luck there Antirabbit ... been a while for you.

2 questions;

If you haven't already, you can check ebay out for completed listings to get an idea of what stuff is going for. BTW, nice to see your heart's in the right place ...
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by frenchy
so i usually get A LOT of nice items..im talking Brioni and Kiton suits,but mostly lurk here and enjoy what others find.

How many Kiton suits is "A LOT"?

As for me, not much to report really. Just another Battistoni tie, a Gerber of Paris tie (can't find any info on this maker, but quality is very nice), and I went back to pick up the Malo cardigan. The sale price had been further reduced and I got it for $20.

Also, not a thrift find, but got a pair of Borrelli pants, NWT, from Filene's on sale at $75. I'll pay up to $100 for NWT Borrelli pants as they're among my favorite for trousers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads