• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can report that the full refund amount has been credited to my card.
So at least their refund policy is holding up.

Now I can stop holding back on criticizing Indochino
devil.gif

I even made a few bucks on the exchange rate difference. I guess I'll have to declare it on next year's taxes. Then again, I can probably write off the postage for sending back the suit...
wink.gif

LorenzL

Reaction score
Indeed, it might take a while until coupons are available again. Indochino has seen a huge increase in customer order intake this year and I think their capacities are quite on maximum level already...

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Want to be theire consultant and charge a fee
laugh.gif
?

You laugh, but I used to go around the world doing exactly that. But here's a few freebies for them (Lorenz, feel free to pass them on to Kyle). And thanks again to Redoood for bringing this to my hotel and letting me open it. First, if anyone is still unclear about where there is canvas and where there is none, here is an inside look-
4587904008_ae238b445c_b.jpg
The big grey piece is canvas, the black triangle at the lower left hand corner is the lapel, and there is no canvas, only fusing. That means flat, limp lifeless lapels (IOW no roll) The fusing covers the whole front. So this is not full canvas. The black area above the lapel is the chest, which has a layer of softish canvas- we would like to see a piece of haircloth attached to this which would clean up the shoulder, and this will have to be covered with felt so the hair doesn't poke through. As it is, there is practically nothing supporting the shoulder (possibly a Japanese idea- they love soft at the expense of clean) which is why we see all these lumpy, twisting shoulders on people. A "natural" shoulder is going to be even worse with no support. They should get rid of the canvas below the pocket, where it is not needed since the front is fused, and put some in the lapel instead, which must, of course, be padstitched. The canvas is secured to the roll line by means of a fusible tape, which is not bad by itself, but since it's applied with an iron and not a fusing machine, the bond is very weak- a hand-held steamer or a steam dummy will soften the bond and there is a good chance it will fail- there should be two or three rows of blind stitching along this tape to secure it in case of bond failure. (cue the gemming jokes)
4587903380_36025e3c9d.jpg
Same thing on the lower front- the canvas is held in place with a fusible tape that is likely to fail in the case of steaming (pressing is okay because the pressure helps maintain the bond). This tape also needs to be blindstitched after it is applied. If either of these tapes fail, the canvas will come loose and good luck to the tailor who has to put it back.
4587902728_a3dee07251.jpg
For hand-sewing fetishists, I can at least say that the armhole lining was finished by hand (a little loosely, but whatever). That's a good thing, in my books.
4587314133_7be6ebb94a.jpg
OK enough. It's Friday evening and this is too much like work.

icepick

Reaction score
I got my Pearly White pin stripes a couple of weeks ago. It turned out pretty good. The shoulders aren't perfect, but they're acceptable.

I was suprised at the free shirt, it was higher quality than I was expecting based on some of the reviews here.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Same thing on the lower front- the canvas is held in place with a fusible tape that is likely to fail in the case of steaming (pressing is okay because the pressure helps maintain the bond). This tape also needs to be blindstitched after it is applied. If either of these tapes fail, the canvas will come loose and good luck to the tailor who has to put it back.

Jefferyd,

In terms of the lower front, is it typical for there to be a space between the edge of the suit and the edge of the canvas/lining? I have worn my IC suit coat probably about 10x and did not notice until it recently got damp (a quick dash in the rain) that there is a space here and it is starting to show. In other words, I have a noticeable extra line about an inch around the entire edge of the suit from where the canvas has created its own edge - starting to look like crap. The suit has never been pressed or steamed and it seems like they would only make this worse.

I can provide a pic later if this isn't clear.

Yup

Reaction score
My tailor had to let out the chest a quarter of an inch, which actually helped out the shoulder problem a bit. He was also in love with the suit and was shocked when I told him it was only $299 with a free shirt and tie. I also have uneven shoulders, so he had to shorten the right sleeve because it was also quarter inch longer than my left. Also had to hem the pants, but it was expected because I intentionally measured longer to let my tailor take care of it

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeffery, thanks for that post, it is very informative.

Lorenzl, also tell him to stop sending his people to post in this thread posing as customers.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
You laugh, but I used to go around the world doing exactly that. But here's a few freebies for them (Lorenz, feel free to pass them on to Kyle). And thanks again to Redoood for bringing this to my hotel and letting me open it. First, if anyone is still unclear about where there is canvas and where there is none, here is an inside look-
4587904008_ae238b445c_b.jpg
The big grey piece is canvas, the black triangle at the lower left hand corner is the lapel, and there is no canvas, only fusing. That means flat, limp lifeless lapels (IOW no roll) The fusing covers the whole front. So this is not full canvas. The black area above the lapel is the chest, which has a layer of softish canvas- we would like to see a piece of haircloth attached to this which would clean up the shoulder, and this will have to be covered with felt so the hair doesn't poke through. As it is, there is practically nothing supporting the shoulder (possibly a Japanese idea- they love soft at the expense of clean) which is why we see all these lumpy, twisting shoulders on people. A "natural" shoulder is going to be even worse with no support. They should get rid of the canvas below the pocket, where it is not needed since the front is fused, and put some in the lapel instead, which must, of course, be padstitched. The canvas is secured to the roll line by means of a fusible tape, which is not bad by itself, but since it's applied with an iron and not a fusing machine, the bond is very weak- a hand-held steamer or a steam dummy will soften the bond and there is a good chance it will fail- there should be two or three rows of blind stitching along this tape to secure it in case of bond failure. (cue the gemming jokes)
4587903380_36025e3c9d.jpg
For hand-sewing fetishists, I can at least say that the armhole lining was finished by hand (a little loosely, but whatever). That's a good thing, in my books.
4587314133_7be6ebb94a.jpg
OK enough. It's Friday evening and this is too much like work.

Well this is what they show on their site about their suit construction. This looks like a fully canvassed suit: http://www.indochino.com/suit_qualit...terlining.html So are they just plain lying?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Jefferyd,

In terms of the lower front, is it typical for there to be a space between the edge of the suit and the edge of the canvas/lining? .

Yes. It is common to cut the canvas away from the edge equal to the width of the seam, so that the seam allowance will fill that gap and thus reduce the bulk at the edge. I'm not sure I understand what your suit is doing so pics woudl be good.

Originally Posted by cross22
Well this is what they show on their site about their suit construction. This looks like a fully canvassed suit:

http://www.indochino.com/suit_qualit...terlining.html

So are they just plain lying?

Well, there is no canvas (and thus padstitching) in the lapel of the suit I opened so if all their suits are made like that, then yes, their marketing people were stretching the truth with that photo.

coltboy75

Reaction score
That clip from their website states that the lining is breathable, most poly blends are not breathable. I would think a silk lining would be the most breathable available.

MasZakrY

Reaction score
MasZakrY from RFD here, thought I'd post here as there are more people interested in Indochino and after reading through over 30 pages before posting this I'll try to sleepily get this out
smile.gif
After ordering a few indochino suits I've got to say that the #1 shortcoming is lack of QA! One example: out of all of my suits with surgeons cuffs, none of the button holes line up perfectly. I've had problems with button hole threads cut through all the way around, pick stitching that was completely uneven and completed with many short lengths of string and various finishing issues including numerous loose threads, shoddy/missed lining stitching, etc... when my last order of the khaki trench coat ( http://www.indochino.com/product/Khaki_Trench_Coat.html ) arrived and along with it came deep disappointment. Here are just some of the issues: 1 Buttons are olive green (!) and convex vs a nice brown and concave 2 Jacket arms, especially at wrist are FAR too roomy 3 Jacket waist is far too small, even with only a t-shirt on 4 Boutonnière is only on one lapel 5 There are thread pulls on the coats fabric and loose threads everywhere 6 Lining was not folded in and sewn correctly on lower edges 7 Lining shown in images of the jacket was not available It seems that some magic is performed on the numbers as the coat fit like one of my Indochino suit jackets but tighter and the arms were twice the size in diameter (Wizard sleeves anyone?). Of course I am in the process of sending this monstrosity back but the consumer is forced to foot the bill and in my case, is a huge inconvenience to boot. At the end of the day, I have my measurements down 100% and the suits fit perfect. Even with that obstacle out of the way, does it make sense to order a suit maybe 3 times to finally receive one with no problems? I wish I could have got my question into LorenZL a few pages back: "Will Indochino be taking any new steps to ensure quality control is maintained to that of what one would expect from a traditional bespoke suit"
worship.gif

mjc

Reaction score
I found my Indochino coat to be shoddy too. I've been pleased with the suits, but my "camel coat" was fairly awful. Beware!

- Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads