• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Alright, here's what I do with a new pair:

1- 1 coat of Lexol conditioner, allow to dry.
2- 1 coat of Sno Seal, a bit of heat from a hair dryer, moving briskly. Allow to dry.
3- 1 coat of coloured cream, applied with old cotton t-shirt, but never brushed (my cobbler/Saphir distributor told me this)
4- 1 light coat of coloured wax, applied with old cotton t-shirt, then brushed in with horsehair brush. You may add a second, even third application if you wish, but I usually don't bother.
Then on to the actual mirror shine
5- 1 light coat of wax polish applied with old cotton t-shirt (wrapped around fingers) on the caps and rear quarters only.
6- bowl of cool tap water (no Dom or secret mixture required); drop 1 or 2 droplets on the area to be mirrored.
7- get a bit of wax on the tip of the cotton strip wrapped around your fingers and work the wax in small circles on/close to the area where you dropped a bit of water. Decrease pressure applied as you go along. At first, you should feel a lot of friction from the wax on the t-shirt rubbing onto the wax on the shoe. This is gradually replaced by a smooth feel as the wax gets worked into the pores and you decrease pressure.
8- you will have to keep alternating between dabbing a bit of wax on the shoe, adding 1-2 droplets of water and working that wax in.
9- final touch: quick allover buff with a clean old nylon stocking. This really brings out the shine like nothing else; I'd recommend you try this after brushing the wax in for those who don't mirror shine. Apparently an old necktie works too.

There are a bunch of helpful vids on Youtube; search for bulling, mirror shine, etc. I don't suggest trying anything that involves applying wax onto your shoes and lighting them on fire...

@ Ich_Dien: I thought bulling was considered 'smart' and all you blokes were taught how to do so as kids.
laugh.gif

I guess all of this depends on what kind of finish is already on the shoe, for example if I have a pair of shoes that already has some sort of shine from my normal routine will I need to deglaze and sort of build a whole new finish, or will starting fresh with what you have written here work from the get go?

Lear

Reaction score
Wes Bourne, nice bulling on those lovely shoes. There's a bloke on dresswithstyle, who shines until he can read the reflected time from his watch. Some can even surpass that; the mirror being taken to a whole new level!

Lear

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, thanks a lot for that guide--I will let you know how my attempts go!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I guess all of this depends on what kind of finish is already on the shoe, for example if I have a pair of shoes that already has some sort of shine from my normal routine will I need to deglaze and sort of build a whole new finish, or will starting fresh with what you have written here work from the get go?

Imo, either way should work. If you do my whole procedure, you're basically doing a reg. polish (building up an allover shine/base coat, then adding the bulling. If you already have a good allover shine on your shoes, no use deglazing and starting over. Just lightly brush them to remove any surface dirt and skip ahead to the mirror shine instructions.

Originally Posted by Lear
Wes Bourne, nice bulling on those lovely shoes. There's a bloke on dresswithstyle, who shines until he can read the reflected time from his watch. Some can even surpass that; the mirror being taken to a whole new level!

Lear

I saw that vid post. Dood is French. Nuff said.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by srivats
Looks great, Wes! Thanks for sharing.

Have you considered these Tricker's models?
devil.gif

Adelaide...
drool.gif

Originally Posted by Newcomer
Wes, thanks a lot for that guide--I will let you know how my attempts go!

fing02[1].gif

Btw, there's an EG trunk show going on at l'Uomo in Montreal today/right now. Word on the street is that the EG rep. in attendance was in awe at the shine on one of our resident tailors' shoes. Might have even offered him a job as EG's shoeshine man!
smile.gif

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only being delivered in September.......

4604883208_00f1586f57_o.jpg

viv2geo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viv2geo
I especially love the Burgundy colour that Paolo managed to attain, not to mention the excellent workmanship and beautiful finish.
Originally Posted by viv2geo
Burgundy - Model Pirandello
4590958383_0f8da9a4ba_o.jpg
4591578410_b72b7df663_o.jpg

Originally Posted by meister
That is one of the nicest burgundy based colours I have ever seen....so complex is the mixture of tones...meraviglioso!
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
beautiful shoes! -LR
Originally Posted by TheWraith
They are indeed. Exquisite
worship.gif

Thanks for the compliments. Full credit to Paolo. I had some problem capturing the colour of the Burgundy shoes, in all photos they seemed darker than usual. Guess taking photos with a mobile phone camera doesn't help. Anyhow, as can be seen in the picture, I overcame the issue by taking a shot against a blue background. It really brings out the richness in the colour. Getting a cream/polish which matches the colour (Burgundy) is going to be quite difficult. I guess I stick to neutral polish so that the original colour doesn't change over a long period of time? Your suggestions in this regard would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. viv2geo

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anything other then black I stick to neutral.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsqfunk
what kind of EG shoes are those?

Wing tip adelaide oxfords...the adelaide name stems directly from the brogueing design along the throat

Unless Jeffryd opts to disclose more, its just a model they have been making for years

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Unless Jeffryd opts to disclose more, its just a model they have been making for years

Not quite! - EG doesn't have a wing tipped "˜Adelaide' in their collection.

In this case, judging by the photograph, the Adelaide throat 'window' is real and set-in, but the wing-tip is faux, It is not a separate layer laid-over, just a shaped row of punching and stitching within an undivided vamp (forepart).

Rather like the "˜Walcot' (also a relatively recent design) with an additional wingtip

walcotsm0.jpg

(there might be other differences in the heel, which I cannot see).

There is a problem with classic shoe design (like with classic-anything), the parameters are rather narrowly defined. You can only shift the existing components around slightly and (possibly) change the proportions a bit.

If you do too much, you end up in "˜fashion' territory.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsqfunk
what kind of EG shoes are those?
Saw them at the trunk show. It's a special edition for their 120th anniversary- an updated version of a classic something-or-other (that's where they lost me- I was just staring at the things thinking lusty thoughts) available by special order only (at least here) and delivering in September. Called the Brummel.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hopefully these will tide me over until the Brummel comes.....

4607204167_f29911b4cd.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads