• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTK

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Large Travel bag (248) will fit in airline overheads? Thx!

DocJott

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on a Filson, but don't know, which one to take. How do the 256 and 257 compare in size and weight, if there are only a few small things (keys, mobiles, a paperback book) in it? Will the 257 be as flat as the 256? I would use the bag with only such small thing in 80% of the time, but would like to use it for files and my notebook or my shoppings in the other 20%. Could anybody post a picture comparing the 256 and the 257 (could not find any via Google)?

Reaction score
Hi,

I can't give you a comprehensive answer, but hopefully I can provide some useful information. After being in more or less the same boat as you, I decided on the 257 and received it yesterday. I can fit my laptop, one notebook and two textbooks along with some small things into the bag, but nothing else. If you will need to carry this much, get the 257. If you need to carry more, get something else. Also, I can't imagine using it for shopping.

I'm definitely glad I went for the 257 over the 256, as from the pictures it looks like you would only be able to get a laptop and one textbook in there comfortably. I was hoping that the 257 would have room for my laptop, notebook and either several textbooks, or a large stack of papers for the odd time that I need to carry lots of stuff, but that is definitely not the case.

Originally Posted by DocJott
I am about to pull the trigger on a Filson, but don't know, which one to take.

How do the 256 and 257 compare in size and weight, if there are only a few small things (keys, mobiles, a paperback book) in it? Will the 257 be as flat as the 256?

I would use the bag with only such small thing in 80% of the time, but would like to use it for files and my notebook or my shoppings in the other 20%.

Could anybody post a picture comparing the 256 and the 257 (could not find any via Google)?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
Does anyone know if the Large Travel bag (248) will fit in airline overheads? Thx!

No it won't.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Filson, but don't know, which one to take.

How do the 256 and 257 compare in size and weight, if there are only a few small things (keys, mobiles, a paperback book) in it? Will the 257 be as flat as the 256?

I would use the bag with only such small thing in 80% of the time, but would like to use it for files and my notebook or my shoppings in the other 20%.

Could anybody post a picture comparing the 256 and the 257 (could not find any via Google)?

The dimensions and weight of almost all of the Filson luggage is detailed on our site. The 256 is a good choice for you however down the road the 257 will probably serve you better.

DocJott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
The dimensions and weight of almost all of the Filson luggage is detailed on our site. The 256 is a good choice for you however down the road the 257 will probably serve you better.

While I could find the dimensions, I could not find the weight (which is more essential, I think).

I could not find the 257 on your site at all. Do you have some in stock?

What would shipping to Germany be?

DocJott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff
Hi, I can't give you a comprehensive answer, but hopefully I can provide some useful information. After being in more or less the same boat as you, I decided on the 257 and received it yesterday. I can fit my laptop, one notebook and two textbooks along with some small things into the bag, but nothing else. If you will need to carry this much, get the 257. If you need to carry more, get something else. Also, I can't imagine using it for shopping.
What is it like when you carry the empty 257? Does it follow your body shape (like in this post) or is it more stiff (like in this post, where I assume that it is fully loaded)? If an empty 257 would follow the body similar to the 256 in the first post, I would go for the 257. Otherwise I would go for the 256. I could not find any single picture comparing them side by side. Anyone?

Reaction score
What is it like when you carry the empty 257? Does it follow your body shape (like in this post) or is it more stiff (like in this post, where I assume that it is fully loaded)?

If an empty 257 would follow the body similar to the 256 in the first post, I would go for the 257. Otherwise I would go for the 256.

I could not find any single picture comparing them side by side. Anyone?

I think the main difference between those two bags is that the 256 has been "worked in" by its owner, while the second is new. My bag is brand new and tends to hold its shape even when unloaded. It collapses more than the bag in the second picture, but is still very stiff. I imagine it will look more like the first bag in a couple of months.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I could find the dimensions, I could not find the weight (which is more essential, I think).

I could not find the 257 on your site at all. Do you have some in stock?

What would shipping to Germany be?

We have temporarily disabled the 257 on the site. The reason being we are out of stock and cannot get any in tan until sometime in June and brown in early July. It appears that Filson is having a major issue getting material or their production schedule is a royal mess. In any case it's something they need to correct and hopefully this does not happen again.

I think we have a few in Otter but you'll have to call or email the store. Same thing goes for international shipping quotes.

asdf

Reaction score
We have temporarily disabled the 257 on the site. The reason being we are out of stock and cannot get any in tan until sometime in June and brown in early July. It appears that Filson is having a major issue getting material or their production schedule is a royal mess. In any case it's something they need to correct and hopefully this does not happen again.

I think we have a few in Otter but you'll have to call or email the store. Same thing goes for international shipping quotes.

256's also back ordered?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
256's also back ordered?

No we have them in stock. I'm not sure about re orders though. I suppose it depends on whether or not Filson has any stock.

DocJott

Reaction score

I already contacted the store two days ago, but did not receive an answer yet. Should I email again?

DocJott

Reaction score
Ordered the 256 TAN with handgrip. Crane's of course.

Can't wait to get it!

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be biased because I own a 257, but if anyone gets the 256, I would strongly advise getting the handgrip.

shattis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
Here is my 256. I've had it for about 2 years and carry it almost daily.

4157444386_1420272eed.jpg

4156684207_782fc4f342.jpg

I also have the small duffel in otter green. It is the perfect weekend/overnight bag IMO. I love them both.

Which color is this bag? I'm having trouble figuring out originally which one you purchased. Also happy to accept any color advice. Somewhat stuck between all three. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics