• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
What are the differences between saddle and spectator shoes?
Both are two-tone shoes but saddle shoes have a band running across the middle of the instep whereas spectators usually have the alternate color on the toe, heel counter, and laces. If you google both, you will easily see what I am describing.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
What can I do to keep my shirt from gaping open above the belt line between buttons when I sit? Its gross.
it's to do with the button placement and width. ever notice how some shirts have the second button rather high, or rather low? so some shirts have the buttons I guess in your case just placed right in the wrong spot. Does that happen with all shirts?
as to what to do... Keep your pants up high, when you sit put your hands in your pockets and pull your shirt in so it lays flat. Might also be worse when the shirt's crispy. I also assume you don't wear undershirts?
My leg hair goes down to my ankle bone. For those who wear shoes without socks during the warmer months, are you shaving off some hair?
I give mine a light trim with an electric set on # 3 or something, plus a little bit of shaving just around the bottom. I also shave my feed+toe hair, but that's a whole nother thing.
Originally Posted by lpresq
What color/style of trousers would pair best with this SC? Thanks
Pants - I say navy to pick up the tie color, otherwise dark chocolate brown.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
At what stores (both non-online and online) do you guys recommend buying budget ties? What brands should I look out for?

To add a little more detail...

I'm going to a college banquet where I need to dress up a little bit (khakis, button-down, blazer should be fine). I bought the following shirt, and I plan to wear tan khakis and my navy blazer. I need to get a tie, and while I don't want to get junk, I don't need anything extremely high quality either; I won't be wearing it again for quite some time. I picked a pronto-uomo tie (it looks pretty close to this one) at men's wearhouse (even though I've heard that MW is typically ****). Do you think this would work for my purposes in terms of quality and color/match-ability?

Would you recommend something else instead? I have until Thursday to get something else instead (so take into consideration shipping time).

Thanks.

kinch

Reaction score
NYC people:

I'm moving into the city in a few weeks (the Village, to be precise) and I need to find a tailor that can make some pretty major alterations to suit trousers. They're just way too baggy for me, in the top block and legs, so I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations on some competent tailors that could handle this.

(I'm aware I could just go onto Yelp and find well reviewed tailors, but I'm more interested in SF's opinion.)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinch
NYC people:

I'm moving into the city in a few weeks (the Village, to be precise) and I need to find a tailor that can make some pretty major alterations to suit trousers. They're just way too baggy for me, in the top block and legs, so I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations on some competent tailors that could handle this.

(I'm aware I could just go onto Yelp and find well reviewed tailors, but I'm more interested in SF's opinion.)

Search for the "Hopefully definitive thread on NYC tailors" in the Men's Clothing forum. There's tons of info in it.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see folks in the WAYWRT thread with 2" trouser cuffs. I thought the general rule was something closer to 1-3/4". Is the two-inch cuff style a SF-related one? Just curious.

- Keith

D Yizz

Reaction score
How long is "too long" for a jacket? Somewhere I read that you should be able to wrap your fingers around the lower hem. I came upon a beautiful linen suit, with a patch pocket jacket I could match with other pants and jeans. However, when I look in the mirror, I'm in doubt, although I can wrap my fingers around the hem, but it goes past the crotch area and in the rear, way beyond my buttocks. I'm only 5'3" but with an athletic wide shoulder body. The jacket fits perfectly otherwise, except of course, I have to adjust the arms length. The shape and symmetry olf the jackets looks something like this:
4602796499_d6590df34f_o.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
How long is "too long" for a jacket? Somewhere I read that you should be able to wrap your fingers around the lower hem. I came upon a beautiful linen suit, with a patch pocket jacket I could match with other pants and jeans. However, when I look in the mirror, I'm in doubt, although I can wrap my fingers around the hem, but it goes past the crotch area and in the rear, way beyond my buttocks. I'm only 5'3" but with an athletic wide shoulder body. The jacket fits perfectly otherwise, except of course, I have to adjust the arms length.
It's really a question of proportions and the guideline about being able to curl your fingers over the hem is just a guideline. If you're short, the proportions are even more important. I would err on the side of short rather than long because a long jacket really cuts you in half.

minnesnowman

Reaction score
What outfits could be created using a vintage suede satin-back vest like this one?

7Qb1d.jpg

Mine is colored camel so coordination is a bit trickier. I was thinking of a plaid shirt and dark jeans, but I'm looking for any and all ideas. Pictorial inspiration would be nice. Thanks!

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It's really a question of proportions and the guideline about being able to curl your fingers over the hem is just a guideline. If you're short, the proportions are even more important. I would err on the side of short rather than long because a long jacket really cuts you in half.
Thank you. It is a nightmare for me to find appropriately proportioned and good looking OTR suits. Yes, I know it is time for mtm and I'm working on it.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see folks in the WAYWRT thread with 2" trouser cuffs. I thought the general rule was something closer to 1-3/4". Is the two-inch cuff style a SF-related one? Just curious.

- Keith

The 2" cuff rule is from SF. It's a bit excessive.

Originally Posted by D Yizz
How long is "too long" for a jacket? Somewhere I read that you should be able to wrap your fingers around the lower hem. I came upon a beautiful linen suit, with a patch pocket jacket I could match with other pants and jeans. However, when I look in the mirror, I'm in doubt, although I can wrap my fingers around the hem, but it goes past the crotch area and in the rear, way beyond my buttocks. I'm only 5'3" but with an athletic wide shoulder body. The jacket fits perfectly otherwise, except of course, I have to adjust the arms length.

There are several rules like you just said. However, they work for the general assumption of body proportion. For your problem, it's most likely that you have either slightly longer arms or slightly shorter back. It's normal, don't worry about it.

enarchay

Reaction score
To add a little more detail...

I'm going to a college banquet where I need to dress up a little bit (khakis, button-down, blazer should be fine). I bought the following shirt, and I plan to wear tan khakis and my navy blazer. I need to get a tie, and while I don't want to get junk, I don't need anything extremely high quality either; I won't be wearing it again for quite some time. I picked a pronto-uomo tie (it looks pretty close to this one) at men's wearhouse (even though I've heard that MW is typically ****). Do you think this would work for my purposes in terms of quality and color/match-ability?

Would you recommend something else instead? I have until Thursday to get something else instead (so take into consideration shipping time).

Thanks.

Anyone?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Anyone?

That looks like a good combo to me, I'd wear it! Even if the quality is not so great on the tie, it's fine for your purpose. Should look great with the blazer and pants you mentioned. Enjoy.

EZ

imschatz

Reaction score
When buying a trench coat, do you get your normal suit jacket size, or do you add an inch or so for space to wear stuff under it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads