• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Muscular or skinny?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm 5'11" and 143 pounds, but still hit the gym and have muscles, it's not an either/or thing

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea i look like taeyang. pretty waesome build imo.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As in all things, there's alot more latitude when you're tall. Tall-and-skinny and tall-and-ripped can both work for the individual. Shorter guys really need to bulk up to avoid being completely physically insubstantial. And unlike tall skinny guys who can successfully experiment with silouettes, those of us who are squattier in stature have to wear fitted clothes head-to-toe.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
As in all things, there's alot more latitude when you're tall. Tall-and-skinny and tall-and-ripped can both work for the individual. Shorter guys really need to bulk up to avoid being completely physically insubstantial. And unlike tall skinny guys who can successfully experiment with silouettes, those of us who are squattier in stature have to wear fitted clothes head-to-toe.

+100 Short, skinny guys just look...frail. I'm 5'7" and 160: call it "short man syndrome" if you want, but I feel as if I have to bulk to to be physically confident. So of course my vote is muscular, which is highly relative according to your perspective.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Shorter guys really need to bulk up to avoid being completely physically insubstantial. And unlike tall skinny guys who can successfully experiment with silouettes, those of us who are squattier in stature have to wear fitted clothes head-to-toe.
Not trying to be a dick but when I see short guys look beefy as anything this is the exact thought that comes to my mind, but not in a good way. I find it projects insecurity about their body and a longing to be 'normal', rather than an acceptance of who they are. Granted there are the exceptions that carry an air of modesty about them which suggests that this isn't the reason they are built, the majority of bulky short guys do not come across this way at least to me. Just my $0.02

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a tall guy who used to be skinny (6'5", 185), who "filled out" through aging and excercise (but mostly aging) now 210, I'm probably going to lean towards slim. While most people who see me would probably discribe my built as athletic, I still have a really hard time fitting into some of the brands I like. While my waist is still in the 33/34 range, and my chest is 42, my thight are simply too big for a lot of pants. I've always had a hard time finding length, but I never expected to be too big for clothes.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Anorexic.

Yes.

Be as skinny as you can possibly be, because it's fabulous.

Apparently I've been gaining weight though... last time I weighed myself I was almost at 130
eh.gif

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
excessively bulging muscles are freakish and suggest that you have nothing more important to do than hit the gym, which is not a good message to send. very jersey shore.

athletic or slim are good.

Noir.

Reaction score
the level of delusion in this thread is mind blowing

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
i'm 5'11" and 143 pounds, but still hit the gym and have muscles, it's not an either/or thing

Manorexic fo sho.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone has a different idea on what is muscular and skinny on here. I think no matter how much anyone on here considers muscular, having a low (10% or less) bodyfat is good to have. I'm 6'1 175 lbs and some of my friends think I'm skinny.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem lies in the fact that people view things from two perspectives; American Fat and Fashion skinny.

I think suit size is a pretty good guideline. If the average chest-to-waist drop is about 6 inches, anyone with a drop of more than 8 or less than 4 would be enterring slim/large territory respectively.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads