• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a 17 year old identify the staples every wardrobe should have

mondayc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simion505
find some originallity
You aren't going to find it by asking the internet what to wear. aka lurk more.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your staples will change as you age. In high school, "staples" are clothes that fit, are not obnoxious, and will take you into college. Buy basics that fit you: plain crew or v-neck tees, one or two button-downs (at least one of these should be white), some slim straight dark blue jeans. I think everyone should have a suit, at any age, just to wear for special occasions, but you may not need a suit for some time.

You're 17, so you're body probably isn't done growing. Until you have a consistent body type, don't even worry about expensive clothes, because you can't know how long they will continue to fit you. Also, you'll be able to get a better sense of what you like once you're in college and exposed to more diverse people. You say that your tastes have pretty much matured, but I highly doubt that -- the only people I know who haven't changed their style since they were 17 are the ones who never cared about it in the first place. I went through a "brogues and tweed and flannel" phase too, and then abruptly veered off toward cords and tees every day.

Don't worry about "staples" yet. You're young, and all you have to do with your clothes is impress the girls. Wear what you like. If you find something you want to wear a lot (a cardigan, black boots, etc.), buy a cheap, well-fitting version of that thing. Don't try to buy a whole life's worth of clothes right now.

PS: Clarks are a pretty good option. I also like Chelsea/Beatle boots. Also, Chucks will be a great beater shoe to have (I have a 70-year-old Irish uncle who still wears his), and tasteful streetwear sneakers would go well with jeans -- I like slim stuff from Puma or Supra for this purpose, although my taste in sneakers is kind of plebeian).

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not about being trendy tbh.

Go to stores and look for stuff that fits, and is pleasing to your eye. I go on here for inspiration.

And as far as topsiders go, i recently bought the classic brown(lol southpark just came to mind) and pair of sperrys and everyone is diggin' them, out of the 20 people who gave my compliments only 2 hated them. They are a versatile piece of casual footware and they go with almost anything.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simion505
I already have plaid shirts, skinny jeans and chucks... I'd really like to diversify a bit, find some originallity [sic]. Its still a cool look but all the 'cool' kids wear it...

Originality is overrated. Some people dress originally, some people dress well, and some people do both. Right now, no one is asking you to be some crazy style icon. It's enough that you dress yourself well.

If you really must look "different", thrift stores are your friend. That's where you pick up vintage tweed boots and triple-breasted blazers and "unique" stuff. Look at JKissi's fits on WAYWT or his web site, Street Etiquette.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm 28 now and have come along financially to the point where I can buy what I want, but I think if I had the foresight at 17 to get more dedicated to my style, I may have locked in my personal style long ago and be in a totally different place from where I am now. Maybe a good thing, probably not a bad thing.

I do think you should have 2 basic looks - casual and formal. You won't ever wear the latter much, but in high school, until the end, and at some points in college, I did go to enough stuff where being dressed up was required and you really don't want to be that asshole wearing sneakers with khakis and a buttonup shirt as your 'formal' look. Go black, look clean for this kind of stuff. If you can, get a proper suit, a good shirt, a simple tie, and a good pair of shoes. Girls will like it. You can choose to multi-task some of that stuff, but if it were me, I wouldn't. I'd just keep 'nice clothes' nice and leave them be. Have a nice pair of clean laceup shoes you only wear on those occasions, and they'll last several years. If you try to mix them in with casual stuff, they'll get beat up, obviously.

As for casual, it's gonna be your look 90% of the time, so do as you may. I don't raelly believe in khakis, but jeans are staple. Basic white tees. A nice pair of sneakers. Maybe a black leather jacket if you can afford it, if not, a peacoat and then some sort of windbreaker, like a Harrington. A couple v neck sweaters. A couple buttondown shirts. Keep it all trim fitting, cropped, sag your pants a bit, and enjoy being young. Do something with your hair, as well.

trafficjam

Reaction score
impolyt_one's post should be made into its own thread titled, 'READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO DRESS BETTER' and then stickied, so posts like this will dwindle. Well, in theory.

avery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
I'm not much older and wear one pretty much every day. I probably did when I was 17, too. just a matter of taste.

might I ask how someone not much older than 17 can buy marsell shoes and MMM sweaters?

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by avery
might I ask how someone not much older than 17 can buy marsell shoes and MMM sweaters?

B&S is my friend. Neither of those was more than $100.

Fluery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
buy a pair of APC denims, a pack of hanes t-shirts, a pair of chucks/jack purcells, a wings + horns hoodie

thats all I would need if i was 17

Seriously I'm 17 and that's nearly exactly what I wear most days. In fact...*looks down at self* right now I'm wearing a w+h hoodie, aa v neck, faded apcs, and some beat up white vans.

In the summer I get my prep on with some vv shorts, but that's it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by avery

Not hard with a decent summer job + having parents that pay for food and give you free lodging
(Assuming you aren't paying retail)

But OP, don't fret so much about staples, and things you have to have. Certainly don't spend all your money all at once. Buy stuff a few things at a time, don't rush into stuff.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fluery
Not hard with a decent summer job + having parents that pay for food and give you free lodging
(Assuming you aren't paying retail)

True, but living in a dorm isn't exactly "free." Not participating in drinking, weed, or other recreational activities also helps cut down costs. And yes, I am lame.

gotlighters

Reaction score
well if you're on this forum, you're ahead of the game. Just steer clear of obnoxious college t-shirts that have beer/sex innuendos. Lurk more on SW&D and find what fits you best. Check out the WAYWT threads to get ideas for your outfits.

geeti

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trafficjam
impolyt_one's post should be made into its own thread titled, 'READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO DRESS BETTER' and then stickied, so posts like this will dwindle. Well, in theory.
I agree. His description pretty much contains everything. I'd also add a couple of really bright contrast almost-eye-hurting tshirts. Dress to impress girls for youths=).
Originally Posted by kid92jays
every wardrobe needs a pair of thin finns
you mean a skinny/slim pair of jeans? then I might agree.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
B&S is my friend. Neither of those was more than $100.
+1 If you scope out B&S on a regular basis you can pick up a lot of quality pieces for basically mall-brand level prices. btw, glad you're enjoying that MMM sweater I sold you...
wink.gif
edit: also, it helps to keep an eye on boutiques sale sections... I've picked up some useful stuff from Bird and Context for 70-80% off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads