• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a 17 year old identify the staples every wardrobe should have

Flight Bird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
LOL!!!

and
facepalm.gif
at another one of these

Yeah, that's a nice brand... they sell hardcore Appreciation right?

oh... and his sister owns it?
laugh.gif

Simion505

Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for any actually helpful answers. I appreciate my question probably isn't very easy to answer, or appreciated here. So please go ahead and delete/close this thread
smile.gif
EDIT:
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
Yeah, that's a nice brand... they sell hardcore Appreciation right? oh... and his sister owns it?
laugh.gif

Yes shes a very big fan of his works. I've never understood the attraction myself, but I guess it's personal.

Flight Bird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simion505
Ok guys, thanks for any actually helpful answers. I appreciate my question probably isn't very easy to answer, or appreciated here.

So please go ahead and delete/close this thread
smile.gif

We already broke the noob? Dammit I wanted to keep playing with it!

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
buy a pair of APC denims, a pack of hanes t-shirts, a pair of chucks/jack purcells, a wings + horns hoodie

thats all I would need if i was 17

Simion505

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Your sister liek teh kancho?

Loves it.

I don't think you guys quite have the grasp of English humour...

Astan

Reaction score
My sister has a few of his pieces... can I just ask: how am I supposed to wear them? Forgive my stupidity.

uhhhhh... ok

Well to answer your question since youre young it doesnt fit you to get too much of a formal wardrobe

Basics I would get are:
2 pairs of Chinos
1 pair of APC NS jeans
2 oxfords (blue and white)
maybe a couple of light collar shirts from j.crew or maybe a chambray.
few slim t-shirts (something young but not douchey)
Some Chuck Taylors
Pair of boots (maybe 1k mile boots?)

Thats pretty basic, not too old, pretty young. Am I missing anything?

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were starting from scratch I'd probably buy a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, two button-up shirts (one a pattern, the other not), a hoodie, underwear, purple socks and like leather shoes. Maybe a belt, too!

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno I was on the bus and high school kids got on and the cool ones were wearing plaid shirts. Then again the nerdiest one in the group was also wearing a button-up, so be careful! More t-shirts and chucks instead of leather shoes is better advice for a 17 year old

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you obsessed with looking classic? You're going to outgrow alot of the **** you buy anyway. Do you wanna gather round you grandkids in the future, looking through old photo albums, wearing the same **** in every picture, and you're wearing the same shirt as in the pictures as you browse?

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
why does a 17 year old need a button -up??

I'm not much older and wear one pretty much every day. I probably did when I was 17, too. just a matter of taste.

Simion505

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wogbog
I dunno I was on the bus and high school kids got on and the cool ones were wearing plaid button-ups. More t-shirts and chucks instead of leather shoes is better advice for a 17 year old

I already have plaid shirts, skinny jeans and chucks... I'd really like to diversify a bit, find some originallity. Its still a cool look but all the 'cool' kids wear it...

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, I worry I'm being misunderstood. I don't want reccomendations to specific items of clothing per se - I trust myself to pick the style I like, I'm simply asking - be it chinos, brogues, flannel shirts - what styles of these clothing can I look for than will last (i.e. not go out of fashion) - fashion costs to much and I'd much rather use clothing as another way of expressing my taste than follow a crowd. Cheers for the link - though I don't really require anything so specific. As for specific brands... I don't have any brand loyalty (just a distaste for Jack Wills and the like) EDIT: Cheers for the warm welcome dude. I'm sure you'd much rather me make this thread than make 50 ignorant and mis-informed posts in other peoples' threads.
There is an Ultimate Noob thread, Ultimate Noob. And boat shoes are definitely not a staple, patent shoes are more of a staple than that And a staple for any wardrobe, Margiela.
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
I'm not much older and wear one pretty much every day. I probably did when I was 17, too. just a matter of taste.
Yeah, I wore shirts more than tees

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads