• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Knives

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
if you want substantial questions: have you lived with gyutous before? i loved mine for a while ... then i found it to be a very specific knife. i still reach for it when i need something really sharp for a very fine, or exact cut ... but it's kind of like having an old mg in the garage that you drive for a hobby while your main ride is something more stable and comfortable (in my case, Wusthoff).
Originally Posted by gomestar
No, and I did read your post from a few months back on the issue. I've only lived with a short Wushtof for 3 or so years and only some more serious cooking and work in the past 12-15 months. The Japanese ones didn't feel too light in store, mostly because they are longer and thus more metal. I do have a preference to the western style handles, though I can adapt well over time to most changes. Learning about proper grip has shown me the deficiencies of a shorter knife, hence the desire to move up a notch or two.
If you don't mind spending a little more, check out the Mac Ultimate line. The shape is a nice combination of German and Gyoto, and the quality is absolutely fantastic. Like foodguy, I am not completely sold on the standard Gyoto shape, which I find to be a bit too angular. I don't necessarily agree with him that this aids in making more perfect cuts for precious small plate cuisine, because every time I bother to notice the knife cuts at high end restaurants these days, I am woefully unimpressed. Maybe they do think it helps, though. A santoku definitely does help for this, but it is overused, and pretty useless if you don't have good knife skills already (which everybody thinks they have, so this is a meaningless comment.) Anyway, that is my take. Oh, I also hate damascus and other decorated blades.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am not completely sold on the standard Gyoto shape, which I find to be a bit too angular.
shocking mr. matt, considering that they are nearly identical to traditional FRENCH chef's knives. I guess you prefer the GERMAN rounder belly [emphasis added to rub his nose in it]

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
shocking mr. matt, considering that they are nearly identical to traditional FRENCH chef's knives. I guess you prefer the GERMAN rounder belly [emphasis added to rub his nose in it]
I know, huh? I am almost ashamed at how much I like my (relatively) new Mac Ultimate. Tell me this isn't the absolute best of both worlds:
usbk95.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
and note the decorated blade
smile.gif

it is pretty pricey, though, $100 more than the others.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those basic macs ... without the decorated blade ... are really terrific values.

Islander

Reaction score
I have two knives that I use for almost everything in the kitchen: an 8" Global GF-33 chef's knife and a 7" Misono UX10 santuko. I bought the Global for my wife but I ended up using it as my primary knife. It holds an edge only so-so, but can be brought back quickly with a ceramic honing tool. The Misono is a thing of beauty, and can be sharpened to a laser beam edge on a whetstone, but once it loses its edge it takes more work to get it back. Bought the Global retail and the Misono online. Can't go wrong with either, Japanese steel rules.

img_global_gf-33.jpg

2dbf53ec1a027ee14dccef33aea352dd.jpg

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my gyutou is a misono ux10. really do love it. but as i said ...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I had a similar thought, given Matt's long-ago fondness for Sabatiers. But times and people change, I suppose.

Anyway, I alternate between my two gyotous - Togiharo and Masamoto - for pretty well all of my cooking, and haven't found a reason to want for anything else.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jakeknife1.jpg

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my, what a big shiny knife you have (no ****).

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my, what a big shiny knife you have (no ****).

jakeknife2.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
helllooooo creepy sartorial images thread!!!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
helllooooo creepy sartorial images thread!!!

I'm not sure that there is a non-creepy way to pose with a knife.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
any other knife suggestions will be grand. Even if they are creppy. As long as they are japanese creepy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads