• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Knives

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Hey Manton - Did you use an 8" knife before? How did you find the transition from 8 to 10? I am tempted to try it but it seems I wouldn't be terribly dextrous with that extra 2 inches of blade way out there.

My unsolicited input is that 10" knives are not more difficult to use compared to an 8", but in all are much more useful in the kitchen. Say you have a 10" and 8" knife in your kitchen, chances are that the 8" will hardly ever get used.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Thomas, do you own a Japanese razor? I've been investigating Japanese knives for my upcoming trip to Japan and came across this:

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...den-steel.html

No, I've never tried one, and strangely find myself un-motivated to do so. Part of it comes from safety issues (no scales - the blade is always bare), part from the fixed-handle business (hand further from the edge than I'm used to), but mostly from the asymmetry. Where an eastern straight has a symmetrical grind - lending itself to use by either hand - the Japanese straights I've seen and read about have one side concave and one not.

And, I just can't deal with that sort of trickery so early in the morning.
blush.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
thinking about eventually upgrading my chef's knife. Any insight on the pros/cons of something like this?.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
thinking about eventually upgrading my chef's knife. Any insight on the pros/cons of something like this?.
The caustic look makes it harder to clean, uglier, and probably more expensive. I personally wouldn't like the shape for cutting but that's dependent on the user.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
The caustic look makes it harder to clean, uglier, and probably more expensive. I personally wouldn't like the shape for cutting but that's dependent on the user.

all reasons (except ease of cleaning, I don't care) to consider. I'm not a tremendous fan of the hammered look, but I find it to be generally attractive. Shape is fine, I enjoyed it in the store. 50/50 balance is something I'm considering, I am R while gf is L, unless somebody tells me this doesn't matter in Japanese knives.

also like

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're both going to be great knives. i'd go with the one that feels best. that's what is really going to determine how much you use it. the damascusing doesn't really affect the cleaning of it that much, in my experience, though i agree that i am not a fan of it looks-wise.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all reasons (except ease of cleaning, I don't care) to consider. I'm not a tremendous fan of the hammered look, but I find it to be generally attractive. Shape is fine, I enjoyed it in the store. 50/50 balance is something I'm considering, I am R while gf is L, unless somebody tells me this doesn't matter in Japanese knives.

also like

Looks better. Can your girlfriend handle a sword that big?
stirpot.gif

Why don't you care about ease of cleaning? The indentations make a quick rinse and wipe insufficient for cleaning and would annoy me after a while.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Why don't you care about ease of cleaning? The indentations make a quick rinse and wipe insufficient for cleaning and would annoy me after a while.
in real life, the patterning is extremely shallow ... not nearly enough for food to get trapped in.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
they're both going to be great knives. i'd go with the one that feels best. that's what is really going to determine how much you use it. the damascusing doesn't really affect the cleaning of it that much, in my experience, though i agree that i am not a fan of it looks-wise.

feel will be the ultimate decider, I just need more time to look around and feel things out. I'm looking for suitable reasons to not look at particular knives (this type of steel is better than that, etc). Shun was my initial though, but I have access to all of these small production examples and I might as well try a few.

Originally Posted by why
Looks better. Can your girlfriend handle a sword that big?
stirpot.gif

she can only take so much in one day. I hand her the pairing knife.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by why

my only cleaning concern would be dried on crusty stuff, but I never let my knives sit out this long anyways. With my 210 degree faucet water, a quick rinse and wipe will clean up just about anything.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
feel will be the ultimate decider, I just need more time to look around and feel things out. I'm looking for suitable reasons to not look at particular knives (this type of steel is better than that, etc). Shun was my initial though, but I have access to all of these small production examples and I might as well try a few.

if you want substantial questions: have you lived with gyutous before? i loved mine for a while ... then i found it to be a very specific knife. i still reach for it when i need something really sharp for a very fine, or exact cut ... but it's kind of like having an old mg in the garage that you drive for a hobby while your main ride is something more stable and comfortable (in my case, Wusthoff).

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
if you want substantial questions: have you lived with gyutous before?

No, and I did read your post from a few months back on the issue. I've only lived with a short Wushtof for 3 or so years and only some more serious cooking and work in the past 12-15 months. The Japanese ones didn't feel too light in store, mostly because they are longer and thus more metal. I do have a preference to the western style handles, though I can adapt well over time to most changes. Learning about proper grip has shown me the deficiencies of a shorter knife, hence the desire to move up a notch or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads