• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell if I can let the waist/seat out on a pair of pants

thomasec

Reaction score
I have a pair of Our Legacy trousers, and I was wondering how I would be able to tell if it was possible to let out the waist. It has extra material inside of the seat, but my tailor told me that it wasn't died/washed the same color, so it would look odd/off.

It definitely feels like there's room in the waist to let out.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
I have a pair of Our Legacy trousers, and I was wondering how I would be able to tell if it was possible to let out the waist. It has extra material inside of the seat, but my tailor told me that it wasn't died/washed the same color, so it would look odd/off.

It definitely feels like there's room in the waist to let out.

you answered your own ******* question in your post for ****'s sake

thomasec

Reaction score
Ugh, allow me to elaborate.... As far as I can tell, the material inside the pants looks exactly the same. Here's a picture:
img2518b.jpg
Just wondering if my tailor may have been mistaken, that's all. No need to act like a dick.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty odd they'd include that rear seam if a tailor couldn't successfully put it to use.

But from that pic, I really can't tell whether there is a difference in color. Ask the tailor for clarification!

StopPolloition

Reaction score
It looks to me as if it can be let out at least an inch or two, but depending on the fabric type and how much you've worn it, a line might show where the previous seam was.

thomasec

Reaction score
Yeah, I haven't worn them at all. I'm actually thinking about returning the pair I have now and sizing down, then (hopefully) having a tailor let them out an inch or so.

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to act like a dick.

I'm dead sure Uncontrol didn't mean it like that. Must be a premenstrual syndrome or something...

naaaaate

Reaction score
Thomasec if you end up not being able to exchange but still want a smaller size I've got those exact pants in medium if you want to buy them :]

Originally Posted by *Tee*
I'm dead sure Uncontrol didn't mean it like that. Must be a premenstrual syndrome or something...

Sometimes I wonder if people who make these jokes have ever met a woman, a gay, or a ******, ever at all outside of their imagination, because none of those three look anything like uncontrol.

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by naaaaate
Thomasec if you end up not being able to exchange but still want a smaller size I've got those exact pants in medium if you want to buy them :]

Sometimes I wonder if people who make these jokes have ever met a woman, a gay, or a ******, ever at all outside of their imagination, because none of those three look anything like uncontrol.

Thanks naaaate, but I actually have the mediums. Looking to get the small and let them out since the fit in the thighs is pretty relaxed.

Going to ask another tailor today.

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
maybe you should just buy a different cut of pants?

I love literally everything about these, with the exception of the fit in the thighs.

I figure I can either size down and let out the waist, or just take them to a tailor. Simple as that.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailoring the thighs is roughly the same price (if not a few dollars cheaper) as letting out the waist. You'll save yourself time+headache if you keep your current pair.

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Tailoring the thighs is roughly the same price (if not a few dollars cheaper) as letting out the waist. You'll save yourself time+headache if you keep your current pair.
Thanks for the input. This thread suggests the opposite, and I tend to think that if the waist is supposed to be flexible, the pants will look more natural if the thighs are left as-is.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the issue with those pants is that they are overdyed. If you decide to let out the seat, you will most likely wind up with two thin white stripes running up your butt because the overdye wouldn't likely have been as dark inside the seam. I think you'd be much better off keeping the larger size and taking in the legs.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. This thread suggests the opposite, and I tend to think that if the waist is supposed to be flexible, the pants will look more natural if the thighs are left as-is.
My tailor charges around $30 for waist/seat alterations and somewhere around $25 for thighs. And considering your tailor has already told you the waist alteration would result in a different colored fabric being exposed, the less-expensive thigh alteration is probably the way to go.

And why do you believe a certain waist size necessitates a certain thigh size? Because one has extra fabric and the other does not? At least ask your tailor about the thighs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads