• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Hey, I'm interested in getting a pair of Gellers too. Where did you get them and can you tell me the width of the frames? Is it really a 48? Thanks!
It would be great if jaac could confirm this, but according to this source, they measure 14cm across. http://www.gravitypope.com/accessories.php?brand=21 Blackbird is all sold out of them but they can be pre-ordered for summer. jaac, are your lenses brown?

HugoP

Reaction score
Hey, do you know of any makes that do particularly small versions of wayfarer style sunglasses? I have a fairly small, long and narrow head and regular ray bans for example look like alien eyes bulging out of my face. I'm also quite interested in getting some fairly small, completely clear-framed, slightly rectangular sunglasses. Though again I don't really know what makes might do smallish ones. Any other tips perhaps on shapes and colours of sunglasses to go for when you have a bit of a pin head? I look pretty similar to this guy, if it helps (though without the silly, overpriced clothes): http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...4518&langId=-1 Thanks

jaac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Hey, I'm interested in getting a pair of Gellers too. Where did you get them and can you tell me the width of the frames? Is it really a 48? Thanks!

Originally Posted by winston
It would be great if jaac could confirm this, but according to this source, they measure 14cm across.

http://www.gravitypope.com/accessories.php?brand=21

Blackbird is all sold out of them but they can be pre-ordered for summer.

jaac, are your lenses brown?

sorry dudes i just put them in for prescription lenses today. they are fairly similar width to my shurons (14.5), i will measure them as soon as i get them back.

I got mine from Nomad ( http://www.nomadshop.net/ ), they were sold out of the clear lense but i was informed the sunglasses are exactly the same(hense the coloured lenses).

The measurements they gave me were:

5.5" wide
6" from temple to back of ear (total length)
Lenses are 1-7/8" w x 1-5/8"h

uvmboi13

Reaction score

aka

Reaction score
Hi there,

Do Oliver Peoples ''Shaw" only come in one size? Thanks in advance.

poissa

Reaction score
You are doing us all quite a service and I appreciate it. I'm looking for a new pair of frames. I work in a business casual environment so I don't want to stick out but a bit of flair won't kill me. I'd like to keep the frames under $100 if possible. I'm open to vintage too. Included is a pic to help sort types of frames to consider etc

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jekyoo_style

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I recommend Warby Parker. I currrently just bought a pair and they're freaking amazing. All the frames are fashionable and for $95 for frames + subscription lenses, it's incredibly hard to beat.

www.warbyparker.com

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
Where exactly does one go to get prescription lenses put into sunglasses? Does any old glasses place work? I've got an old pair of Clubmasters that I'd like to have prescriptions lenses put in. Will the newer lenses be of lesser quality?

reprehensible

Reaction score
So, nobody is asking me about eyewear, but I recently got a pair of Salt frames in the Adler style, and I like them a lot. These are clearly the nicest frames I've owned. Comfortable, solid, yet light.

The color is pretty interesting. It starts very dark gray at the top, and fades to almost clear at the bottom. So it gives almost the effect of brow-line (Clubmaster) frames, while being acetate all around. Not at all what I expected to like when I went in to try different frames on.

I also, based on my recent eyeglass-buying experience, strongly recommend going in to try frames on in person unless you're buying something similar to what you've already owned. Without trying them on, I'd have bought noticeably different frames than what I ended up with.

enarchay

Reaction score
I was really interested in picking up a pair of Persol 2244s sunglasses, but they have been discontinued and most websites are out of stock. One website said they will be getting more in stock in the future, but that could be a while. Do you think these glasses are worth the wait, or should I look into grabbing another pair of Persols in a different model? If so, which ones do you recommend? I sort of like these but I fear they may be a bit too rounded for my round face. Thanks. P.S. I would grab the 2244s's on ebay, but as I have a slightly big head, I'm not sure they will fit. I don't want to risk being unable to send them back in the event they do not fit.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I was really interested in picking up a pair of Persol 2244s sunglasses, but they have been discontinued and most websites are out of stock. One website said they will be getting more in stock in the future, but that could be a while. Do you think these glasses are worth the wait, or should I look into grabbing another pair of Persols in a different model? If so, which ones do you recommend?

I sort of like these but I fear they may be a bit too rounded for my round face.

Thanks.

P.S. I would grab the 2244s's on ebay, but as I have a slightly big head, I'm not sure they will fit. I don't want to risk being unable to send them back in the event they do not fit.

You should be able to got to a brick and mortar store and find these pretty easily. That way you could try them on. Even Sunglass Hut has these, at least my local one does.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hhenryhhh
Where exactly does one go to get prescription lenses put into sunglasses? Does any old glasses place work? I've got an old pair of Clubmasters that I'd like to have prescriptions lenses put in. Will the newer lenses be of lesser quality?

In my experience, it's hard to find places that will fit lenses into old frames. lenscrafters is the only place I've been that will fit them and that's only if you agree to waive the breakage policy because the frames will be more prone to breaking due to wear and tear. And in the end, you'll end up with lenscrafters lenses which will definitely be inferior to the originals.

I would just pony up for a new pair (they're not very expensive) and that way you'll end up with the full warranty and have a pair of glasses that will likely last you years longer.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
You should be able to got to a brick and mortar store and find these pretty easily. That way you could try them on. Even Sunglass Hut has these, at least my local one does.

I've called around and no one seems to have them.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
In my experience, it's hard to find places that will fit lenses into old frames. lenscrafters is the only place I've been that will fit them and that's only if you agree to waive the breakage policy because the frames will be more prone to breaking due to wear and tear. And in the end, you'll end up with lenscrafters lenses which will definitely be inferior to the originals.

I would just pony up for a new pair (they're not very expensive) and that way you'll end up with the full warranty and have a pair of glasses that will likely last you years longer.

I've heard the older Ray Ban frames are better. I've had a local optician do this for me with no problem. I'd look for an independent place that has the work done locally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads