• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

daruma

Reaction score
can someone help my friend out? he's 5'9 and he wants a double breasted suit with peak lapels. he weighs 140lbs and he wanted to know:

- how wide lapels should be (he'd be wearing a tie which is, at its widest point, 3" and fwiw, his chest is a 36.5)
- if the suit should really have 2 button holes on each lapel
- how many buttons (i don't know the term, but is there such a thing as 3x2?)
- how low should the button placement be?

thanks a lot!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
Should a small tie-bar and/or white pocket square (to match the obligatory white shirt) be worn to a standard business interview?

Yes. Linen white PS folded in to a square.

Originally Posted by minervau
Small tie-bar sounds fine, but pocket square -- almost certainly a no-no.

The opposite in fact. One should always wear PS with business suit. This rule can be lifted for more casual sport-coat/blazer though recommended.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrtef3
I wear surcingle belts with seersucker trousers - I'm no authority, but I think they look good together. White leather belts make me think of Cousin Eddie and Pat Boone.
Would one of these work, even if the shoes are white bucks?
52XHG7SB0.jpg

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Would one of these work, even if the shoes are white bucks?
52XHG7SB0.jpg

Those look like Orvis belts...I like something a little less drab, but maybe? The leather looks like cordovan, and my Neil M. white bucks have a blood red rubber outsole, so barring any neurosis about dark leather with light trousers, yeah. I bought my surcingle belts on Zappos (Torino Leather Co.); I'm posting a link to my favorite one (cordovan leather straps). I also wear D-ring grosgrain belts by RL and Vineyard Vines with seersucker and white trousers. http://www.zappos.com/torino-leather...mint?zlfid=111

dron

Reaction score
stone OCDB with white contrast collar and cuffs. yay or nay?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrtef3
Those look like Orvis belts...I like something a little less drab, but maybe? The leather looks like cordovan, and my Neil M. white bucks have a blood red rubber outsole, so barring any neurosis about dark leather with light trousers, yeah. I bought my surcingle belts on Zappos (Torino Leather Co.); I'm posting a link to my favorite one (cordovan leather straps). I also wear D-ring grosgrain belts by RL and Vineyard Vines with seersucker and white trousers. http://www.zappos.com/torino-leather...mint?zlfid=111
Thank you! Interestingly, I was going to post this one as a follow-up: http://www.zappos.com/torino-leather...avy-camel-navy

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn
By stone, do you mean the off-white color? If so, nay, there's not enough contrast between the body color and the collar/cuff color. Also, the formality of a contrast collar clashes with a button-down collar.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alden Shoe headquarters is about a half hour from where I live. Does anyone know if it would be worth my while to drive there and check the place out? I'm wondering if they offer shoes at a discount, seconds, etc.

- Keith

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn

Nay. You need more defined color to create contrast.

dron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
By stone, do you mean the off-white color? If so, nay, there's not enough contrast between the body color and the collar/cuff color. Also, the formality of a contrast collar clashes with a button-down collar.

actually it's more like a khaki kinda color. it definately contrasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads