• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny with Long Arms

bossman08

Reaction score
MTM is not cheap...I don't know why people keep insisting this. At MyTailor, the total price of one shirt is going to be $88-$100. Not to mention, you're going to have to wait 3 weeks or more for the shirt to arrive. Suggesting Dior and those other high fashion brands is equally ridiculous. Some of you who are complaining that this topic keeps popping up are only prolonging the issue by giving poor advice.

From what I gather, the OP is an average guy (or student) just looking for some casual shirts to wear that are long enough....he's tried J Crew and GAP but had no luck. I doubt he wants to spring $100 or more per casual shirt. My suggestion would be to find shirts and have them tailored, but many times that's not useful if the sleeves are too short. I have the same dilemma and I'm still looking around.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
I have the same problem (6'1", 165, 16" neck, 36" arm). I haven't found a solution yet, but I've been ordering Med Tall from Gap. I have to tuck in the shirts cause they're VERY long, but that's the best I've found so far.

blc456

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I did search before I asked, but I did not see a solid answer. I am a student, but I dont mind spending some money on stuff that actually fits. Having a couple great fitting expensive shirts beats the hell out of having 20 shirts that fit like crap. I will check into these slimmer fitting brands and keep an eye on gilt and maybe give a few of them a shot.

dano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spreadcollar
Do some searches on the forum and then find those brands at sales, Gilt, etc. MTM is always the same price and the first time you almost always have to buy a batch (this might be where I get enlightened about Dallas tailors. No hate). Not to mention that anything approaching affordable MTM (internet MTM like MyTailor, I guess - no first order batch but which sucks and doesn't hold a candle to a good deal on the brands listed above) isn't going to help you with knits...
I was writing from experience with Modern Tailor, I have never used MyTailor. The only Dallas MTM options that I know of are out of my budget. My experience with Modern Tailor has been very good, that is why I recommended MTM. My very first shirt was the best fitting shirt I own, but there are some drawbacks as I have already mentioned. I don't want to sound like a shill for modern tailor, but my experience has been about 10-12 days for an order. Cost entirely depends on the fabric, but would generally be cheaper than what you suggested (certainly much, much cheaper than any of the fashion/non mall brands listed). I still see MTM as the best option, because the OP is someone who will not fit into the majority of clothes found on sale or at gilt. At best he might find a few pieces this way, but if he is going to find a solid source for shirts, he will eventually need to go MTM or find a brand that caters to the body type. So far no one has mentioned a suitable brand (though some have tried, and some have gotten close). I myself, and others on this forum, are looking, but the long armed is not a well catered to market. If I may be a little controversial, Gilt is a terrible suggestion. Unless you have tried on the exact garment they are selling, it is impossible to know whether the fit will work. Gilt does a very bad (non existent) job of listing sizes. The OP could spend two months browsing Gilt and never find what he needs, meanwhile online MTM is always available. EDIT: I confused myself a little bit with this reply. I am replying to spreadcollar and bossman. The time/cost of MTM is included as a reply to bossman. Sorry to mix that up.

bossman08

Reaction score
Well its been a year and a half since I tried Modern Tailor, so maybe things have changed. I attended one of the sessions in my town and picked what I thought was one of the cheaper fabrics, but it was still abou $89. I think it was one of the sea island cotton varieties...not sure if the tailor tried to upsell me without mentioning the less expensive fabrics or what. How much do you pay for the shirts dano?

I agree that Gilt is a terrible suggestion. They still have a no refund policy, correct? Only store/site credit.

dano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bossman08
Well its been a year and a half since I tried Modern Tailor, so maybe things have changed. I attended one of the sessions in my town and picked what I thought was one of the cheaper fabrics, but it was still abou $89. I think it was one of the sea island cotton varieties...not sure if the tailor tried to upsell me without mentioning the less expensive fabrics or what. How much do you pay for the shirts dano? I agree that Gilt is a terrible suggestion. They still have a no refund policy, correct? Only store/site credit.
Not sure, my last experience with Gilt returns was almost 2 years ago. If your interested in the MTM route, I would suggest reading up in the Men's forum, they have many threads about it. The leading contenders over there seem to be modern tailor and my tailor (Hemarajani Brothers). Sea Island would be on the more expensive end, $89 seems in line for that quality. As I said earlier in this thread, and you will probably see this advice repeated in the MTM threads on the mens side: Don't use body measurements, but take measurements from the best fitting shirts you own. I've only ordered a few shirts from Modern tailor, but they are usually about $60, and shipping is usually offset by the coupons that always seem to be floating around the MTM threads.

blc456

Reaction score
I will look into MTM as well then
smile.gif

blc456

Reaction score
I just took a look at Modern Tailor and am actually surprised at the amount of fabrics they have to choose from (including more casual type plaids which I am looking for). The prices seem very reasonable as well. I will most likely use the measurements from the brooks brothers extra slim fits I have and change the couple things that don't fit perfectly. Thanks again everyone.

bossman08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dano
Not sure, my last experience with Gilt returns was almost 2 years ago. If your interested in the MTM route, I would suggest reading up in the Men's forum, they have many threads about it. The leading contenders over there seem to be modern tailor and my tailor (Hemarajani Brothers). Sea Island would be on the more expensive end, $89 seems in line for that quality. As I said earlier in this thread, and you will probably see this advice repeated in the MTM threads on the mens side: Don't use body measurements, but take measurements from the best fitting shirts you own. I've only ordered a few shirts from Modern tailor, but they are usually about $60, and shipping is usually offset by the coupons that always seem to be floating around the MTM threads.

Ah, I think I had MyTailor confused with Modern Tailor. I'll have to give Modern Tailor a try. How is the quality of the shirts? Sturdy fabric, good collars?

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blc456
Thanks for all the replies. I did search before I asked, but I did not see a solid answer. I am a student, but I dont mind spending some money on stuff that actually fits. Having a couple great fitting expensive shirts beats the hell out of having 20 shirts that fit like crap. I will check into these slimmer fitting brands and keep an eye on gilt and maybe give a few of them a shot.

Another option is to thrift (or ebay) shirts with the length you need and then have them tailored to fit. It's much easier to justify spending $30 on alterations if you've only paid $10 for the shirt..

dano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bossman08
Ah, I think I had MyTailor confused with Modern Tailor. I'll have to give Modern Tailor a try. How is the quality of the shirts? Sturdy fabric, good collars?

The quality is greate for what you pay. Obviously it is not quite as nice as more expensive shirts, but for the price its excellent. I only have experience with button down collars from Modern Tailor, and with that particular style, less interlining is more. Select the option for the least amount of fusible. I've been contemplating getting an OCBD and requesting no interlining/fusing, but I have yet to do so (apparently they are good about custom requests).

Originally Posted by pistolero
Another option is to thrift (or ebay) shirts with the length you need and then have them tailored to fit. It's much easier to justify spending $30 on alterations if you've only paid $10 for the shirt..

This is certainly an option, and more power to you if it works, but to me it is not worth my time to crawl through thrift stores looking for a shirt that may never come around (especially for those with long arms... what this thread is about) when there is a sure thing out there. Not sure how it's easier to justify spending money on alterations on a cheap shirt than one with (what should be) better fabric, buttons, and construction but to each his own, I suppose. For what its worth if you are careful with MTM your second shirt should fit very well. The first might fit well, or it might not. Depends on how careful you are with measuring. I spent $35 (total, shipped, etc.) on my first shirt, because I figured I would dial in the measurements before I ordered the more expensive fabrics. My first shirt came out more than wearable.

I think a lot of the people on this thread suggesting to look at sales, thrifts, gilt, etc, etc. don't really understand how hard it is to find shirts with long arms. It's possible to wear a shirt with the chest 2'' to big, and its possible to tailor it down. Its not possible to wear a shirt with sleeves 2'' to short, and its not possible to alter them. The limiting factor for the OP will always be the sleeve length, it just isn't easy to come by shirts with those dimensions.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
wear tanktops exclusively
I go topless, it's much easier (although the cost of baby oil adds up)

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 16/36 and I feel your pain. Gap/BR M-tall fit pretty well, but again, those aren't the best brands. Gilt for shirts scare the crap out of me because so fer items include sleeve measurements. I don't care about the model's measurements. Tell me about the shirt.

And to the person who mentioned european anf Japanese brands: seriously? Those are the least likely to belong enough

I fare far better with dress shirts than casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads